Amped Roots by ML Sound Lab - Fluff's FREE amp sim modelling an EVH 5153!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello community! Just published my own review of the brand new AMPED ROOTS FREE amp sim VST plugin by ML SOUND LAB! Absolutely killer tones for the bearded guitarists out there reviewing metal gear, modelling an EVH 5153! Still haven't tried it?

https://youtu.be/ODjfgo5CRpg

I'm neither sponsored, nor endorsed! I'm just a metalhead who likes making gear reviews!

Good job!

My first impression when I tried this is that it had too much saturation - in a bad way, like the Softube Marshall Plexi. Any settings suggestions to minimise this effect?

Yeah, it's really nice for sure. Would I pay €60 to unlock the other three amps? Not sure. This is very much Fluff's sound, so you get what you get. I'll probably end up getting the paid version at some point (ie when it's on sale) but not just yet, it's a bit of a one-trick-pony.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

try another ir. the built in IR isn´t my cup of tea, too. When you buy it you get an additional 2x12 ir by fluff which sounds great. otherwise your own favourite irs will work wonder.

No vst2 option

:!:

New version 1.22 has been released with reworked modeling and a reverb pedal.

You need to reorder it in order to download it, as it seems.

The free amp (that is only one that I can play with) is much better than the old version which was almost an unusable crap IMO...

How sites like the (dis)honest amp sim reviews gave the original an 8.5 out of 10 I don't know... Or maybe I do :P New one should get 15 out of 10 with that mark in mind.

I've tried most of the amp sims, free or not and most of them have been dissapointing for high gain stuff but this one is on of the best so far. Even Helix vst vas quite dissapointing and no way I would pay so much for any amp sim. Anyway I agree try other cab impulses for different sounds. Ask any producer what makes the difference and they will all tell you the same answer. Most, at least high gain amps sounds quite similar and the thing that makes difference is different cabs and with different speakers. So saying this one is a one-trick-pony doesn't know enough.

Daimonicon wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:30 pm I've tried most of the amp sims, free or not and most of them have been dissapointing for high gain stuff but this one is on of the best so far. Even Helix vst vas quite dissapointing and no way I would pay so much for any amp sim. Anyway I agree try other cab impulses for different sounds. Ask any producer what makes the difference and they will all tell you the same answer. Most, at least high gain amps sounds quite similar and the thing that makes difference is different cabs and with different speakers. So saying this one is a one-trick-pony doesn't know enough.
First of all, these two sentences are a little contradicting. Also, have you tried the new Nembrini amps, Neural DSPs and Mercurialls, STL etc and found them “disappointing” compared to Amped Roots v.1 (like I said I like v1.22)? On the contrary, I think that there are amazing offerings for high gain amps sims and not so many for crunchy and clean stuff, to the point that even though I've been into metal for over two decades I am getting a little bored and overwhelmed of high gain amp sim releases. Even the latest audio assault amps are nice, and for the price of two pints!

Finally, it is not a wise decision for a company that until now only sold cab IR’s, to ship their new amp collection in such a saturated market with a single (for the free version at least) average cab...

The Nembrini Cali gets some great clean, slightly broken up, and crunch tones. Between the “pushed” switch on the clean channel, and the “raw/vintage/modern” switch on channel 2, it's a very versatile amp.
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

ZINO wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:32 pm First of all, these two sentences are a little contradicting. Also, have you tried the new Nembrini amps, Neural DSPs and Mercurialls, STL etc and found them “disappointing” compared to Amped Roots v.1 (like I said I like v1.22)? On the contrary, I think that there are amazing offerings for high gain amps sims and not so many for crunchy and clean stuff, to the point that even though I've been into metal for over two decades I am getting a little bored and overwhelmed of high gain amp sim releases. Even the latest audio assault amps are nice, and for the price of two pints!
You must be missing something. Neural DSP often has several amps in their plugins, with specific amps dedicated to clean and crunch - try Plini and Nolly for example. I bought Nolly JUST for its crunch sound and the metal amps were just a nice bonus.

Or let's say Mercuriall Reaxis - it's a replica of Mesa Boogie Triaxis and it would be very silly to say that it's a metal amp. Sure, it has a couple of iconic metal channels, but actually it has 8 different channels in total, picked from various Boogie amps and Boogies are heavily used by artists in all possible genres like blues, jazz, rock, etc, for all types of non-metal sounds.

There are a lot of top quality clean and crunch amp sims out there. Maybe there is lack of marketing that targets non-metal players, but definitely no lack of amps.

Arp_ wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:02 am
ZINO wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:32 pm First of all, these two sentences are a little contradicting. Also, have you tried the new Nembrini amps, Neural DSPs and Mercurialls, STL etc and found them “disappointing” compared to Amped Roots v.1 (like I said I like v1.22)? On the contrary, I think that there are amazing offerings for high gain amps sims and not so many for crunchy and clean stuff, to the point that even though I've been into metal for over two decades I am getting a little bored and overwhelmed of high gain amp sim releases. Even the latest audio assault amps are nice, and for the price of two pints!
You must be missing something. Neural DSP often has several amps in their plugins, with specific amps dedicated to clean and crunch - try Plini and Nolly for example. I bought Nolly JUST for its crunch sound and the metal amps were just a nice bonus.

Or let's say Mercuriall Reaxis - it's a replica of Mesa Boogie Triaxis and it would be very silly to say that it's a metal amp. Sure, it has a couple of iconic metal channels, but actually it has 8 different channels in total, picked from various Boogie amps and Boogies are heavily used by artists in all possible genres like blues, jazz, rock, etc, for all types of non-metal sounds.

There are a lot of top quality clean and crunch amp sims out there. Maybe there is lack of marketing that targets non-metal players, but definitely no lack of amps.
Still, more and and better quality Diezel and ENGL amp sims than, for example, AC30, unlike real life...

What ENGL and Diezel? At least 3 high quality amp sims of Omega Amps (!), NeuralDSP Omega Granophyre, Audio Assault Sigma, Raven Volcanic!!!! I rest my case...

Hello, I downloaded the amped roots free but I can´t find it in Cubase 5.
Can anyone help?
Thanks, cheers

rudasrocktime wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 pm Hello, I downloaded the amped roots free but I can´t find it in Cubase 5.
Can anyone help?
Thanks, cheers
I would guess Cubase 5 doesn't support vst3

danfi wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:51 am
rudasrocktime wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:03 pm Hello, I downloaded the amped roots free but I can´t find it in Cubase 5.
Can anyone help?
Thanks, cheers
I would guess Cubase 5 doesn't support vst3
Well, I also thought that.
thanks for the reply

Cheers

Return to “Effects”