Best workhorse EQ

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

More than happy using TDR Nova GE.

@elxsound
Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. I guess you're right to get EQ4.
Since money is an issue, I can't see myself shelling out almost 4x the price for Pro-Q.
Appreciate the objectiveness.
Cheers

fcamp wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:12 pm More than happy using TDR Nova GE.
I have the free Nova version and it's great. Only problem is that you can't turn off latency. Is there a 0 latency mode in GE?

mucknog wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm
I have the free Nova version and it's great. Only problem is that you can't turn off latency. Is there a 0 latency mode in GE?
No, there isn't, no matter the quality mode

Asides from the one that comes with Logic I’d consider my workhorses to be bx_hybrid, Neutron’s eq, Waves H-EQ & IK’s EQual. The latter 2 offer me both surgical filters plus analogue emulations, so they can be great to use when you’re a little uncertain about what kind of sound you were searching for.

Jopmanajop wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:48 pm
mucknog wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 pm
No, there isn't, no matter the quality mode
For me, having an EQ with 0 latency is essential as my go to EQ, because then I can keep it on every track without worry about it causing enough latency where its noticeable if still working on a composition.

If mixing, then I don't care about latency. It just needs to sound good. At this point, it is usually a combination of tools... both surgical EQs and musical EQs.

elxsound wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:05 pm For me, having an EQ with 0 latency is essential as my go to EQ, because then I can keep it on every track without worry about it causing enough latency where its noticeable if still working on a composition.

If mixing, then I don't care about latency. It just needs to sound good. At this point, it is usually a combination of tools... both surgical EQs and musical EQs.
Do you use Natural or Linear phase?

my two workhorses are AirEQ from Eoisis and Fabfilter's Pro Q3
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

TDR Nova GE is great, but for low latency track mixing duties it can be too much. Slick EQ GE would be the right one for that scenario. I consider TDR Nova GE a perfect tool for busses and the mastering stage however.

Pro Q 3 from Fabfilter gets my vote. In fact it's such a workhorse that I find myself reaching for analog emulations and character EQs less and less.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

J. Smith wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:36 pm FabFilter Pro-Q 3. Does everything I want from an EQ, I love it.
Its the definition of a workhorse.

PatchAdamz wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:17 am
J. Smith wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:36 pm FabFilter Pro-Q 3. Does everything I want from an EQ, I love it.
Its the definition of a workhorse.
Absolutely. If I want saturation or colour, I have separate plugins for that :)

i've amassed a lot of EQ over the years, both because my workflow has changed, and because some EQ's are one-knob wonders that, when they work, they work wonderfully and without much effort from my side. i have a good few parametric EQ's but i've kept running out of bands. i've been lusting for Pro-Q for a long time, but couldn't justify the price (although now that i think of it, i probably spent more on many EQ's than i would've spent on Pro-Q...). i had very high hopes in IK's EQual as it looked to be a great competitor to Pro-Q, but it is missing several VERY important features (such as soloing a band) and its usability just sucks donkey balls.

finally, i got the iZotope Tonal Balance bundle on a crossgrade sale a few months ago, which includes Neutron Advanced, and found the perfect workhorse in Neutron's EQ. it doesn't do everything Pro-Q does, and its workflow isn't quite as slick as Pro-Q's, but it's good enough for me to finally put the EQ issue to rest. i still use all of my other EQ's for when things require "a little more top end" or something, but whenever i hear that i'll have to use more than two bands, it's Neutron EQ all the way. (if you're interested in just the EQ, the Pro-Q is better value, of course, but the other stuff in the Ozone+Neutron+Nectar i loved as well, so it's not like i bought it just for the EQ)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

What EQ do you guys recommend for a strictly non-visual workflow with 6+ bands? There seems so little variety!! a huge majority is either analyzer based or 2-4 bands analog emulations.

The main ones i have found is TDR Nova and DMG Equilibrium. The former has latency and the latter is really expensive and makes my computer fan go wild (and i don't need 99% of the features of EQuilibrium). Any alternatives? I have DDMF 6144 but i don't like the range of the bands and the UI makes me dizzy

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”