Which SSL 4000 emulation plugin is CPU friendly yet good sounding?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I know its tough to choose one to get the balance right as I want to buy one to insert into individual tracks for mixing purpose. Here I have shortlisted the following:

1) PA 4000E
2) Waves Mixhub
3) Acustica Audio Sand FAB4

Any suggestion and experience sharing would be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
Cowby

Not actual emulation, but one of the most underrated channel strips out there, that will get you in same ballpark
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/cs-5501-by-tbproaudio

Passing Bye wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:42 am Not actual emulation, but one of the most underrated channel strips out there, that will get you in same ballpark
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/cs-5501-by-tbproaudio
Thanks will have a look.

My opinion only.
Acustica Audio - quality, good sound (for most people). but nearly impossible to use it on many channels simultaneously.
Waves Mixhub - sounds ok. the complicated interface.
PA 4000E - the best in the real-world cases. very light on CPU, a lot of wise features inside.

Agree with Dombaeb, Acustica is not CPU friendly, and Waves will make you pay the WUP from time to time. The PA is light on CPU and does a lot for the money, don't pay full price. You could probably do a whole mix with that plugin alone in every track.

Dombaeb wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:48 am PA 4000E - the best in the real-world cases. very light on CPU, a lot of wise features inside.
+1
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

so sad I also read the review from sound on sound that the CPU usage of Sand FAB4 is real high so I will probably take this out from my list.
Am testing PA SSL 4000E in bitwig studio. So far so good.

The Glue always sounds good

fcamp wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:16 am Agree with Dombaeb, Acustica is not CPU friendly, and Waves will make you pay the WUP from time to time. The PA is light on CPU and does a lot for the money, don't pay full price. You could probably do a whole mix with that plugin alone in every track.
Ni one is forced to pay any WUP to Waves. It’s up to the user. I’ve never done it.

todd_r wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:01 am The Glue always sounds good
Sure but it’s only a bus compressor and not a channelstrip.

Daimonicon wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:14 am
fcamp wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:16 am Agree with Dombaeb, Acustica is not CPU friendly, and Waves will make you pay the WUP from time to time. The PA is light on CPU and does a lot for the money, don't pay full price. You could probably do a whole mix with that plugin alone in every track.
Ni one is forced to pay any WUP to Waves. It’s up to the user. I’ve never done it.
And if you want to sell the plugin? I think that you need to pay WUP to be able to sell it.

Oh come on, keep it on topic 🙄
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Daimonicon wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:15 am Sure but it’s only a bus compressor and not a channelstrip.
Ah, I've got compressors on the brain, what about SSL's own channel strip...

What's so special about SSL channel strip anyways?

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”