DMG EQuilibrium

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's new in 1.60 (since, as far as I can tell the zoom recall isn't :))?

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:16 pm What's new in 1.60 (since, as far as I can tell the zoom recall isn't :))?
I think it's mostly a bug fix release. The beta had been goingfor 2-3 months.
Edit: https://dmgaudio.com/products_equilibrium.php#history

dermage wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:45 pm
Ghost Dog wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:16 pm What's new in 1.60 (since, as far as I can tell the zoom recall isn't :))?
I think it's mostly a bug fix release. The beta had been goingfor 2-3 months.
Edit: https://dmgaudio.com/products_equilibrium.php#history
Doesn't work during a session in my case (Win 7 64 bit, REAPER 64 bit). When I close and reopen the GUI, zoom reverts to full zoom-out every time.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Every year at least one person asks DMGAudio to add a 'flat tilt' filter to EQuilibrium, and every year I intend to post some handy tips on creating your own. After nearly seven years of procrastination :dog:, I finally gathered together some screenshots and typed a post.

You can create 'flat' shapes in EQuilibrium by cascading first-order shelves. To create a smooth and virtually flat EQ response curve, each shelf must be double the frequency of the shelf preceding it, and all shelves must be set to the same amount of gain, except for the lowest and highest shelves, which require different values (I just tinker with their gain settings until the lowest and highest ranges of the EQ response curve look flat). If you construct a flat tilt that intercepts the x-axis, you may need to add a regular tilt filter between the set of shelves above the x-axis and below it to flatten the overall curve as much as possible (refer to the third screenshot below).

A few pointers:
  1. EQuilibrium's shift and scale sliders are the easiest way to adjust the position and slope of a flat tilt. For more extreme settings, you'll need to select all filters and adjust their parameters as a group.
  2. EQuilibrium's autogain function is useful for auditioning settings more objectively, and should prevent any crazy signal levels. White+1770 is my preferred autogain weighting, but YMMV.
  3. If you're obsessed with making your flat tilt as flat as possible, I suggest using a third-party program like Plugindoctor (https://ddmf.eu/plugindoctor/) to view EQuilibrium's frequency response.
Here are some examples of flat tilts that I've used over the years:

Example 1
Please note, the highest first-order shelf is set to a frequency of 40,960 Hz because EQuilibrium's shift slider (not visible) is set to a value of 1 (i.e. 200%).

Example 2
Inverse of Example 1

Example 3
Note the regular tilt filter (at 1001 Hz) between the set of shelves above the x-axis and the set of shelves below it. I find this is a quick way to flatten the overall EQ response curve of a 'flat' tilt that intercepts the x-axis. You will always have to tinker with the gain setting of the regular tilt to flatten your tilt as much as possible.

Example 4
Cascading first-order shelves is also an effective way of creating a 'flat shelf' filter. I love this type of shelf (!), it can sound very smooth and transparent.

You can also create other useful shapes from a flat shelf by assigning different gain values to each of the first-order shelves, or by combining the flat shelf with a regular tilt filter. You can also create unique asymmetric shapes by combining a flat shelf with other types of shelving, parametric, low-pass and high-pass filters.

The zoom recall has been fixed.

Much appreciated.

Ghost Dog wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:48 pm The zoom recall has been fixed.

Much appreciated.
Not in the demo unfortunately.
I’m testing now and am really disappointed with how badly the GUI lags, it updates over half a second slower than the audio and is jittery.

Is anyone aware of how to help with this, is it a setting somewhere?

simmo75 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:43 pm
Ghost Dog wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:48 pm The zoom recall has been fixed.

Much appreciated.
Not in the demo unfortunately.
I’m testing now and am really disappointed with how badly the GUI lags, it updates over half a second slower than the audio and is jittery.

Is anyone aware of how to help with this, is it a setting somewhere?
I don’t have the issues you describe, but I think it has to be a setting somewhere in Equilibrium. This EQ is insane, in a good way. I only use Equilibrium and Fabfilter for my EQ needs unless I need some very specific like a Pultec.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:43 pmNot in the demo unfortunately ....
With DMG, there is no demo in terms of functionality (only that the demo license expires, AFAIK).

If you have a problem, you should probably send some info to DMG's tech guys.

Ghost Dog wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:11 am
simmo75 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:43 pmNot in the demo unfortunately ....
With DMG, there is no demo in terms of functionality (only that the demo license expires, AFAIK).

If you have a problem, you should probably send some info to DMG's tech guys.
Thanks, I did and they fixed me up :)
I’m now a couple of hundred dollars lighter...

simmo75 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:06 pm Thanks, I did and they fixed me up :)
I’m now a couple of hundred dollars lighter...
Haha, I know how that feels.

My favourite (and IMHO hands down the best) eq plugin, even though I'm really missing those features I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I seem to have trouble loading just the GUI from a saved preset (Equlibrium 1.61, REAPER 6.09, Win 7 64). Anybody had this problem before?

And regarding this, maybe there could be an option on the GUI (maybe some buttons left of the "Presets" button) to quickly toggle the GUI elements (graph, bandstrip, keyboard etc). It would make an already very nice and thought-out inteface even more usable.

Edit:

Or even better: A, B, C, D buttons for GUI layouts.

Also, please consider changing the blue outline for the side channel to something less conspicuous than #0000ff RGB blue.

Here's a little mockup I created which shows what I had in mind:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:46 pm I seem to have trouble loading just the GUI from a saved preset (Equlibrium 1.61, REAPER 6.09, Win 7 64). Anybody had this problem before?

And regarding this, maybe there could be an option on the GUI (maybe some buttons left of the "Presets" button) to quickly toggle the GUI elements (graph, bandstrip, keyboard etc). It would make an already very nice and thought-out inteface even more usable.

Edit:

Or even better: A, B, C, D buttons for GUI layouts.

Also, please consider changing the blue outline for the side channel to something less conspicuous than #0000ff RGB blue.

Here's a little mockup I created which shows what I had in mind:

You should rather hit their support with that suggestion, or try posting on Gearslutz, they're more active there

Jopmanajop wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm You should rather hit their support with that suggestion ....
That's the first thing I did. :wink:
Jopmanajop wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:05 pm .... or try posting on Gearslutz, they're more active there
They aren't really that active there either.

I've had a good relationship with them, but I know that those last couple of suggestions I made are going to the bottom of their "maybe" pile.

But hey, those are reasonable requests / suggestions and ours is to ask. :)

Ghost Dog wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:07 am But hey, those are reasonable requests / suggestions and ours is to ask. :)
True :hug:
Dave is busy making a new saturation thing, so no time for now i think

Jopmanajop wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:27 am True :hug:
Dave is busy making a new saturation thing, so no time for now i think
Yeah (unlike some others), I can believe that DMG guys are legitimately busy (but that preset manager is now really bugging me TBH :D (it's not that big of a deal, but somehow it's really unbecoming of an otherwise well-rounded and well thought-out plugin)).

And I heard about the saturation thing, so let's see how it turns out (when it does). :)

Return to “Effects”