Help me choose my first polyphonic synth.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The peak seems a nice option

I went from a P12 to a P6 recently. The P12 is a sound design monster with incredible depth. But the P6 to me has a phatter core sound and still plenty of depth, especially for more classic/vintage subtractive sounds. I make Funk/Hiphop/Neo Soul. The ideal pick in my taste would be the P6 or OB6 but purely based on my own taste.

For a budget alternative for classic sounds you could take a look at a used JX3P + PG200. Or a second hand Prologue or Deepmind. The Peak just got a new editor for custom wavetable import, so that could be a nice hybrid option that wont break the bank completely.

Last up, keep in mind that KVR is mostly plugin focused so youll get different advice than on gearslutz where there's more hardware focus.

mrj1nx wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:46 pm I went from a P12 to a P6 recently. The P12 is a sound design monster with incredible depth. But the P6 to me has a phatter core sound and still plenty of depth, especially for more classic/vintage subtractive sounds. I make Funk/Hiphop/Neo Soul. The ideal pick in my taste would be the P6 or OB6 but purely based on my own taste.

For a budget alternative for classic sounds you could take a look at a used JX3P + PG200. Or a second hand Prologue or Deepmind. The Peak just got a new editor for custom wavetable import, so that could be a nice hybrid option that wont break the bank completely.

Last up, keep in mind that KVR is mostly plugin focused so youll get different advice than on gearslutz where there's more hardware focus.
Thanks for replying.

I would rob a bank for a P6 or a OB-6. In terms of Prophets, I only have money for a Rev2 and a P12 module.

I think Peak personally.

I have a Peak - which I chose over a P12 and Rev 2 - though it was a hard choice. Definitely a better choice than P12 (great synth - but no hands on control in module form - and the Peak just does a little more while sounding pretty similar) but Rev2 does still niggle at me.

Im also thinking of selling it now (18 months down the line) to fund a P6/OB6. Basically because I now know more of what I want/need (Peak was my first proper synth rather then workstation/keyboard). Ive added a used Virus Ti2 recently - which while not analogue a tall does a very nice job. Its older, it has limitations in some areas, but its multi-timbral and has more modulation options which suits the live thing better.

Why sell it though? its still great.... well its mono timbral and has no programable arp or sequencer - and for the classic 80s sound.... while it CAN its a little modern sounding - so a P6 or OB6 would take its place. (probably the P6 - while I like the OB6 sound slightly more - 1 LFO puts me off and of course behringer has an OBXa clone coming which I might add IF its any good).

Peak is great to learn subtractive synthesis - its great for wavetables, has limited FM and does some things other synths cant. It is however (as I said) a more modern sounding - and if you particularly wanted a "older" vibe then a Deep Mind or Prologue/minilogue might suit better.

Paulmapp8306 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 am I think Peak personally.

I have a Peak - which I chose over a P12 and Rev 2 - though it was a hard choice. Definitely a better choice than P12 (great synth - but no hands on control in module form - and the Peak just does a little more while sounding pretty similar) but Rev2 does still niggle at me.

Im also thinking of selling it now (18 months down the line) to fund a P6/OB6. Basically because I now know more of what I want/need (Peak was my first proper synth rather then workstation/keyboard). Ive added a used Virus Ti2 recently - which while not analogue a tall does a very nice job. Its older, it has limitations in some areas, but its multi-timbral and has more modulation options which suits the live thing better.

Why sell it though? its still great.... well its mono timbral and has no programable arp or sequencer - and for the classic 80s sound.... while it CAN its a little modern sounding - so a P6 or OB6 would take its place. (probably the P6 - while I like the OB6 sound slightly more - 1 LFO puts me off and of course behringer has an OBXa clone coming which I might add IF its any good).

Peak is great to learn subtractive synthesis - its great for wavetables, has limited FM and does some things other synths cant. It is however (as I said) a more modern sounding - and if you particularly wanted a "older" vibe then a Deep Mind or Prologue/minilogue might suit better.
Thanks for the reply, the Peak was one of my top options but is a shame that doesn't have a keboard version. I'm planning to buy a 4 or 5 octaves keyboard synth and use it as MIDI controller too, so I kill 2 birds with one stone. I'm aiming for a Rev2, but like you said, I also like the OB6/P6, but is out of my reach, I'm going to wait a few months to see what happens. What do you think about the Rev2?

Rev 2 is nice.

it does some things Peak doesnt - and some things peak does but better, but the opposite is also true.

I was always looking for a module rather than a keyboard as I have 2 of those already (a stage piano and a workstation) - and with the 2 being so close in priced.... it was a hard call. Ultimately I chose Peak on price, as it was on a black friday/ex demo sale 18 months ago in my local store so ended up being about 3/4 the price of a Rev2.

If that hadnt been the case Id probably have ended up with the DSi. No real complaints though.

Tino Fiumara wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Thanks for the reply, the Peak was one of my top options but is a shame that doesn't have a keboard version ...

Note that the Peak has a keyboard big brother -- the Summit, which is two Peaks plus a few extra bells and whistles, with a keyboard. It's amazing, but of course more expensive than the Peak.

menthol wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:08 pm
Tino Fiumara wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:34 pm
Thanks for the reply, the Peak was one of my top options but is a shame that doesn't have a keboard version ...

Note that the Peak has a keyboard big brother -- the Summit, which is two Peaks plus a few extra bells and whistles, with a keyboard. It's amazing, but of course more expensive than the Peak.
Yes, I'm thinking about the Summit too. Thanks for reminding me.

Paulmapp8306 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 am I think Peak personally.

An OB-Xa clone won't sound the same as a P6 or OB-6. It'll share an overall sound, probably, with the OB-6. Waiting would give you the option to see which you prefer. Likely, the OB-Xa will be less expensive. I'd love to have both, but - based only on videos - I'm very happy with the OB-6 vs an original OB-Xa. Generally, I prefer to have my clones be software (e.g., I have a Moog-like non-clone SE-02 and The Legend, I have an Oberheim-like non-clone OB-6 and bx_oberhausen and, soon, Synapse OB-Xa).

Need more LFOs on the P6 or OB-6? It's easy to use an iPhone. Or iPad. Or, especially, a PC. For even more money, there's a 3rd party LFO box designed for the OB-6 and P6.

I liked the sound of the Korg XD better than the Peak - but I didn't own either, so could only demo in a store for long periods.

Tried the XD plenty of times. Its got a good sound - but its different rather than better than the peak. Peak does a lot lot more once your past the filter/oscillators though. I was on the brink of one - but it was too long for my space, and while I was trying to figure a way round that the Ti2 came up at a stupid price really - so took a punt thinking Id not loose anything if I didnt gel - but I do, big time.

If there was a Prologue 16 in a desktop version (or even an 8 as long as it had the compressor) rather than only the Mililogue XD Id definitely have a hard time resisting.

Yes, a Prologue 16 desktop module probably would've sealed the deal for me. As much as I love the OB-6 desktop, I didn't really want to spend that much money, so would've gone for Korg instead if there was an alternative. However, now that I HAVE spent that money months ago, damn, am I glad I did.

Shame you're not a fan of Behringer. That would have definitely been the choice for bang for the buck.
Take care :wink:

Hi guys I'm wondering if someone can help me find a keyboard for my Novation Peak? It's been a bit difficult since I'm looking for 61-keys and with a step sequencer and it seems most such as Novation and Arturia don't combine those two. Someone actually recommended I just go with a keyboard synth and use it as a controller, which I could do if I find one that has both 61 keys and a sequencer, and is preferably analog. Used is OK.

Something like a Prologue 16 keyboard synth but like an older, cheaper version. Or like a Novation Launchkey but with sequencer. Thanks!

Modlift wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:15 am Hi guys I'm wondering if someone can help me find a keyboard for my Novation Peak? It's been a bit difficult since I'm looking for 61-keys and with a step sequencer and it seems most such as Novation and Arturia don't combine those two. Someone actually recommended I just go with a keyboard synth and use it as a controller, which I could do if I find one that has both 61 keys and a sequencer, and is preferably analog. Used is OK.

Something like a Prologue 16 keyboard synth but like an older, cheaper version. Or like a Novation Launchkey but with sequencer. Thanks!
You could keep it in the family with a Novation 61SL
https://youtu.be/cHbqabwStiY
https://www.thomann.de/gb/novation_61sl_mkiii.htm

I'm in the same sort of market as the OP. My second MIDI controller, a Cakewalk (Roland) A800 Pro finally bit the dust after 10 good years of service and rather than another controller I'm after an 8+ voice poly preferably 49 or 61 key with flappy full size synth keys (I already have a hammer action Arturia 88). Current favourites are Hydrasynth, Argon 8X and Prologue 16.
Was gutted this morning to find Andertons had a second hand Prologue 16 listed at £749, but it had already been snapped up when I called them.

Was also thinking about the Deepmind 12, but I've heard it's not so great for bass and lead sounds and those are probably what I'd use it for most, but I must have a poly option which rules out monosynths although I may be tempted by a hybrid solution e.g. a monosynth plus a poly module if in budget.

Very much a lemonade from lemons situation, but doubt I'll be the last guy on this forum to be happy when a piece of hardware dies so they can disappear into 'hit the web, read specs, watch reviews and demos' mode.

Edit: I caved and bought a Behringer 12. The other things I was looking at were too pricey or out of stock and I figured as I already have a Model D for bass and leads that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
I will have to get an ADAT style audio input expander for my little Arturia AudioFuse to let me run both together.
Anyone recommend such an ADAT expander? I'm looking for something like the Behringer 8200. The only issue I have with that is it's rack format, but I could probably stick it under my monitor stand as it looks pretty solidly built.

Interested to see how the B12 works in Omnisphere as it's on the list of hardware synths it can automap to.

Edit Edit: Bought the ADA8200, absolutely nothing fancy, but works well. I'd probably have spent more if I was going to plug mics into it, but it's just for line level audio from synths and an iPad so it's fine for that.
Last edited by WatchTheGuitar on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Another one for the Peak. Especially since the firmware update. Beautiful synth for the price.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”