Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

Arturia have launched a new Oberheim emulation, the OB-Xa V https://www.arturia.com/store/analog-classics/ob-xav

Full intro price of 149 euros but it's showing in my account as 99 euros.

Thought it should have its own thread.

I'm very curious as to your thoughts on the sound.

If you have the Arturia Software Center installed, there is a demo.

It's not bad actually. Suffers from the shortcomings of thge other Arturia emus as well though, unfortunately. Where's the bass?

I really like the GUI, the features, and the effect section though. That's really nicely done.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:39 pm Where's the bass?
No bass no buy...

Agree, Arturia need to get with the program.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Didn't see that coming...going to be spoiled for choice soon but this will no doubt end up in many peoples 'V Collection XX'
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Usually they don‘t publish before a new release of a V collection. That alone would not convince me to go V8...
I guess they do it because Synapse is releasing as well an OB-xa clone...

Wow, that was unexpected :o

I wish some other iconic hardware was getting that amount of love from plugin developers.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Playing a bit more with it, I have to correct my statement above a bit (shouldn't judge too early). The filter is actually alright. What I miss a bit, as I mentioned, is the beef in the lower register, and, the filter could be a tiny bit more juicy. Other than that, it's really fun, and, I can see that a lot of people will be quite happy with it. :)

interesting features

Main Features
Stereo spread with left/right offsets on oscillator, filter, and LFO parameters
Modulation matrix
Arpeggiator
More flexibility on the LFO for easy modulation
Up to 16 voice polyphony
Innovative voice detuning
On-board effects: delay, chorus, reverb, phaser, flanger, compressor, overdrive, multimode filter, and bitcrusher
Oscillators’ continuous X-Mod modulation (cross modulation)
Oscillators’ (1, 2, and noise) mix in filter section for rich sound sources
4 Function Generators
Sleek design for great visual experience of your sound
Seamless preset selection with the visual browser
Over 400 presets
Individual voice panning
Extension panel includes Mod Matrix, four Function Generators, and 3 busses with 9 effects each

I wish I liked Arturia's sound more. It's fine for pads and softer sounds, especially higher frequency stuff, but it just doesn't do the punchy attack that Analog synths have, or good emulations for that matter. I like the feature set, the GUIs are good and totally touch screen friendly which I love, but every time I buy it I end up a little underwhelmed. Many demos sound good and sometimes I convince myself to try again, but end up selling. Most other good emulations have the opposite effect on me. I don't use them for a while and then get blown away all over again when I go back to them.

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm Usually they don‘t publish before a new release of a V collection. That alone would not convince me to go V8...
Don't worry... :wink:
Last edited by fmr on Tue May 19, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:44 pm Usually they don‘t publish before a new release of a V collection. That alone would not convince me to go V8...
I guess they do it because Synapse is releasing as well an OB-xa clone...
I’ll check out the demo, but I’m waiting for the Synapse emulation. Mostly because when I see something like this, I look at Jup-V, CS-80 V, Mini V, etc, and think, “now you’re going to try to get me to pay for an upgrade for synths that haven’t had an update to their sound engine since Bill Clinton was in office.” I’d love to upgrade my V Collection v6, but not if they’re going to let those legacy emulations languish. Plus, we all know the Synapse one will be a bit better.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

fmr wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:57 pm
Don't worry... :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 1:53 pm I wish I liked Arturia's sound more. It's fine for pads and softer sounds, especially higher frequency stuff, but it just doesn't do the punchy attack that Analog synths have, or good emulations for that matter.
Yeah. Even though in this case, I don't think the original synth really has much snappy-ness to it. Actually, the Arturia emu does that "smudge" on the attack of the filter envelope quite well, which I also hear on the sound demos. Still miss some of the details other analog emus have though. But, not bad not bad. Much better than the Minmoog V, for example, in my opinion.

Return to “Instruments”