Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

I agree, I never heard a DAW included synth which is up to par with the best VSTi's out there. Retrologue is OK, but, there's some weirdness with version 2, and the attack phase. Maybe you still have version 1 lying around, but, IIRC, it didn't have that. When you use unison with the oscillators, there's some really harsh transient in the attack phase of the sound. I can't really describe it, it's as if you modulate the pitch with a very fast decay time, to add a additional "bump" to the attack phase. That's how it sounds in Retrologue 2, and you can't get rid of it. Very annoying. I wonder why they released it that way. It would sound good without that. But, whenever I tried it, I kept thinking why I wouldn't use Sylenth1 or Spire for such sounds. Good synth, but, somehow superseded by third party plugins.

The ability to replace plugins on inserts instead of having to "Remove" and then add. Coming from Pro Tools this is a very handy feature for auditioning plugins on a channel.

frankencat wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 am The ability to replace plugins on inserts instead of having to "Remove" and then add. Coming from Pro Tools this is a very handy feature for auditioning plugins on a channel.
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean (don't know ProTools behavior), but if you drag a plugin into the inserts and "hover" it over another plugin (instead of placing the cursor above or beneath), then the existing plugin will be instantly replaced.

Request:

Extra parameters to the selective global plugin bypass option in the mixing view.

Currently, it only bypasses plugins by order of placement in the fx chain.

It would be nice to be able to bypass plugins by name as well, so one could bypass, let's say, a common tape or other saturation plugins all at once, independently of where they are placed in each track's fx chain.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pmI agree, I never heard a DAW included synth which is up to par with the best VSTi's out there.
I'd argue that Reason 10's Grain is on par and in many ways better / more innovative and definitely simpler than all of the granular VSTs I've seen. Furthermore Reason 11 Suite's Complex-1 easily rivals other semi-modular synths like Bazille, Aalto, etc.

https://youtu.be/Mb4EEWedQKM

https://youtu.be/XRbUrNEjbj4
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Rock solid midi timing, that's what it needs.

v4 is definetly messing with my timing. I can offset the recorded midi notes by a set amount but I can't trust S1 as far as midi timing goes. No way.

v3.3 was better. I may have the number wrong - the one before dropout protection was implemented.

Live's timing's ok, Traction's as well. But I'm not going to do linear stuff in Live and I'm not touching another host. Life is complicated as is, things need to be done.

k

chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 pm I'm not a big fan of them. Neither feature wise nor sound wise do they give me anything I couldn't get from my third party VSTi's. Not that they're bad, but, whenever I boot up S1, I just don't se a compelling reason to load them up.

Mai Tai at least is quite alright though. Try it out, if you haven't already.
I tried out Mai-Tai the other day and was not impressed.

But I have now pulled my Nektar Panorama P6 back out off the shelf and installed the deep integration for Studio One.

I have now had another play with Mai-Tai and have quite enjoyed myself twiddling knobs and making up new sounds. Just being able to put the mouse down and use the patch buttons and other knobs makes it almost like hardware.

I hope they give some love to it in an update. A third oscillator would be nice for starters.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm I agree, I never heard a DAW included synth which is up to par with the best VSTi's out there. Retrologue is OK, but, there's some weirdness with version 2, and the attack phase...
So Padshop Pro is not even OK? I think it's great, but the largest drawback is non-scalable interface.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

antic604 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am
chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pmI agree, I never heard a DAW included synth which is up to par with the best VSTi's out there.
I'd argue that Reason 10's Grain is on par and in many ways better / more innovative and definitely simpler than all of the granular VSTs I've seen. Furthermore Reason 11 Suite's Complex-1 easily rivals other semi-modular synths like Bazille, Aalto, etc.

https://youtu.be/Mb4EEWedQKM

https://youtu.be/XRbUrNEjbj4
I agree with antic604 and adding Logic's (Camel Audio) Alchemy to the list.
It is the most powerful synth included in any DAW, period. Also, Bitwig's Grid has enormous potential but it requires a lot of work, of course.

starflakeprj wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 pm
chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pm I agree, I never heard a DAW included synth which is up to par with the best VSTi's out there. Retrologue is OK, but, there's some weirdness with version 2, and the attack phase...
So Padshop Pro is not even OK? I think it's great, but the largest drawback is non-scalable interface.
Yeah Padshop is nice. Personally, I never use granular stuff though, that's why I didn't even mention it. :)

chk071 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:13 pm
starflakeprj wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:09 pm
Yeah Padshop is nice. Personally, I never use granular stuff though, that's why I didn't even mention it. :)
Ok, to be honest. I'm not using granular synths very much myself. I love the sounds you can get from them, but I can't seem to make any music where they would fit anyway. Been thinking about composing some ambient music though, so...maybe one day :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

soulata wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 pm Rock solid midi timing, that's what it needs.

v4 is definetly messing with my timing. I can offset the recorded midi notes by a set amount but I can't trust S1 as far as midi timing goes. No way.

v3.3 was better. I may have the number wrong - the one before dropout protection was implemented.

Live's timing's ok, Traction's as well. But I'm not going to do linear stuff in Live and I'm not touching another host. Life is complicated as is, things need to be done.

k
Can you give an example please? Or general hint how to produce the timing errors in S1.

I'll try it today with my Casio keyboard although the last time I did, i didn't notice something wrong.

Is there any proper vst scan in studio one like in ableton? I havn't find any so I need to restart if I need to scan. It would be a nice.
Stop the monsters

EnGee wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:03 pm
Can you give an example please? Or general hint how to produce the timing errors in S1.

I'll try it today with my Casio keyboard although the last time I did, i didn't notice something wrong.
LEt's say I'm recording synths and piano/rhodes sounds using a metronome or while playing back prerecorded drums/bass. The usual situation.
I'm playing my stuff so it should land on a beat or be slightly behind the beat - I'm definetly not rushing.

Midi gets recorded. On playback everything I recorded on the keys sounds rushed. This would not be a problem if it's a fixed amount but it seems it's not really fixed. So - it messes with my groove really bad. Of course I can quantize or slightly move the track but I'm never sure if it's going to land exactly where I played it. This makes S1 unusable for me, except for really rough demos.

Audio's fine. I also like mixing in S1.

k

I had the exact same experience , and I think it's becasue of their own impementation of midi
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”