Accidents & Ideas On Protecting Your Hardware

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

With monitoring headphones being fragile and likely the most regularly used items in a typical studio and some case being particularly expensive to buy, I knew that for myself that paying £125 for a pair of Audio Technica M50's back in 2012 as part of my music studio setup, that I wanted them to last for as long as possible.

8 years on and I'm still using them but 5 years in their life span the adjoining hinge did break vie an unfortunate twist that broke the small plastic clip on one side. Something that wouldn't have occurred if the hinge mechanism was an all metal construction. In the short term at least for a few years of my initial purchase I did try and protect them in general use such as re-looping the cable connection back round so the connection wouldn't break.

Subsequent revisions use a jack connection but in my experience, even those type of connections are not immune from breakage. With that Audio Technica Monitoring headphones are generally really good, but not without some issues that might occur very easily. They are not exactly the most comfortable out of the box either with a tight clamp to the head for most people and hard headband to go along with it.

To protect and extend longevity I employed some antibacterial based socks I got from M&S, and cut them up to act as covers, which protected against moisture and abrasions of the earpads. The blue and black strapping was later secured further after these shots...

A velvet bag is supplied with these headphones, but I didn't want to continually use the bag due to practicality.

KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

My DT-880's are about 8 years old. One of the pads is a bit worn so I should probably order replacements. Last year I had to get the plug replaced. I've also taken them apart once or twice to clean out hairs and other debris that gets stuck inside and can cause rattling/rasping sounds at low frequencies.

I think some wear and tear is inevitable so easy repairs and readily available spare parts are a plus. A detachable cable would have been nice since that always seems to be the first thing that breaks.

8 years for £125. I would say, good value. Probably a good idea to invest in a new pair of headphones, which is exactly what I did by replacing my 11 year old HD595 which were still working fine with a pair of HD599.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”