skins for discoDSP's OB-Xd synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

vertibration wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 pm I truly think making them lean like the OB-6 would be the better route, as most of the other skins already have fatter knobs. I also think leaning them out would make it look more professional. Making the black background a little shade lighter, not too much, but just enough to see the shadow drops on the knobs. Man, if you could make those slight changes, this skin would be the absolute go to for anyone using this synth
I'm on it, man! :)

Oh, just to clarify, by leaner do you mean making the diameter smaller?

Yes, the fat round outer edge, just remove that

Nothing wrong with the knobs it just looks like they are floating in space as opposed to being connected to a background.

Oh course it's hard to tell from a screenshot. Often times skins look much different in actual use.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:38 pm Nothing wrong with the knobs it just looks like they are floating in space as opposed to being connected to a background.

Oh course it's hard to tell from a screenshot. Often times skins look much different in actual use.
I think it's the extreme lighting effect. The knobs have a ton of reflection, the whole skin probably has a bit too much contrast. So the effect is that the knobs and and bright white label text look like they're floating on a pure black background. The angled 3D render looks great, but when translated to a 2D GUI, it looks a bit much. I think if the lighting were toned down a little bit so the knobs were less shiny, text a bit less white, and background a bit less black, that it would look amazing.

Not meant to be a dig: just trying to be constructive/helpful. It's really impressive overall.

Agreed. Just tone it down a bit and lighten the background a tad and I think it would be perfect. I wouldn't mess with the size of the knobs at all but that's just my opinion. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Faceless_79 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 am Another thing, concerning the knobs. This is something I've been internally debating. Should they be like they are now, quite fat with the bottom end (as in the original OB-Xa) or should they be more lean without the large bottom end, kinda like in OB-6:
ob6knob.jpg

Any thoughts on this?
OB-6 knobs may be sleeker. I do find the current ones too bright compared to the background. You should consider keeping the background as it is and put less light to knobs for a more consistent look too.

vertibration wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm Yes, the fat round outer edge, just remove that
No, please don't. This is an emulation of the OB range of synths, and those were the knobs used in there. If you want, please make two versions, one with each type of knob. I wouldn't certainly use the skin with those "leaner" knobs (which look quite ugly to me, anyway).
Fernando (FMR)

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:47 pmNot meant to be a dig: just trying to be constructive/helpful. It's really impressive overall.
Not taken as such, so no worries. It’s actually quite fascinating to see how differently people perceive these things.

fmr wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:27 pm
vertibration wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm Yes, the fat round outer edge, just remove that
No, please don't. This is an emulation of the OB range of synths, and those were the knobs used in there. If you want, please make two versions, one with each type of knob. I wouldn't certainly use the skin with those "leaner" knobs (which look quite ugly to me, anyway).
Yeah, maybe for the sake of fidelity, but these old knobs are damn ugly. I always wished they were skinnable.

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:25 pm
Yeah, maybe for the sake of fidelity, but these old knobs are damn ugly. I always wished they were skinnable.
They always were... and I don't agree with you regarding the "ugly" :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 pm
No, they were not. I asked the developer once about it being skinnable.

For the sake of pleasing everyone, maybe you can release two knob versions. Soooo looking forward to this skin

vertibration wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 am For the sake of pleasing everyone, maybe you can release two knob versions. Soooo looking forward to this skin
Been thinking about this, too.

Sinisterbr wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:05 pm
fmr wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:31 pm
No, they were not. I asked the developer once about it being skinnable.
Which developer? This synth exists since a very long time. It was created here, in KVR, by 2Dat, in collaboration with a group of KVR members (me included). And it had skins (OK, not "regular" skins, but it had many alternative GUI versions, with different buttons, different knobs, different backgrounds, etc.).

So, although it had to be through some kind of "hacking" it was possible to modify the graphic elements of the synth.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:46 am So, although it had to be through some kind of "hacking" it was possible to modify the graphic elements of the synth.
Latest 2.0 development builds can get their own knob.png bitmap. It has to be provided 3x size for future proof (retina, scalable and HiDPI GUI). Any components can be redistributed as well as window size.

Return to “Instruments”