Arturia OB-Xa V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OP-Xa V

It sounds really nice but not €149 nice as i have cheaper synths which sounds better (of course my personal opinion only judging from the demo).
For €79 i would go for it (same for the other one maybe), maybe €99 but it sound does not impress me that much that i would put so many money out for it.
Of course this means nothing for others and i think it is a great plug-in but i might just have already too much great virtual analog which already covers similar sounds and more.
But as usual things can change with further testing and/or updates.
Maybe it is just harder to get impressed in the crowded market i see more future in more unique synths like Pigments f.e.

nvm
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:32 am OBsession sounds like a real analog polysynth and Arturia OB-Xa V not. Case closed.
How does a "real analog polysynth" sound like? Like a Moog Memorymoog? Like an Alesis Andromeda? Like a Prophet-5? Like a Jupiter-8? Like a Yamaha CS-80? :roll:

Oh, wait... I know: A "real analog polysynth" sounds like Synapse Audio Obsession :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

Ingonator wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:32 am OBsession sounds like a real analog polysynth and Arturia OB-Xa V not. Case closed.
Harsh, but, to each his opinion. :D

I listened to another sound demo of the original yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBZrAcaTTqE

I think the stuff at about 5:35 shows well what the Arturia is lacking: Neither the resonance level goes as high, nor is the detail (non linearities) really there. Very curious if the Synapse emu captures that better.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funny- you would have thought in that case they would have demoed how it 'sounds' in the video rather than adding GUI neon light effects. I doubt very much the case is closed but the rest of us will have to wait until we can demo it to find out.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Vortifex wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:43 am
Seeing as Synapse have revealed their product and the beta testers are spilling all the beans now, a side-by-side comparison would be cool to listen to. Should only take you a few minutes.
Obsession vs Arturia vs OB-Xd blind test would be very interesting...

Ok, this is why i like Arturia :love: Just one hour or two ago I sent them email, and now they have registered OB Xa and sent me email about it :) Ahem! compare that to NI who swallowed two Maschine expansions while trying to generate the transfer ID and for days there is nothing (it means I'm ignored :hihi: ) ahem!

Anyway, my guess still SA emulation will be the one to go. I'm not worried about the skin because even if it is horrible, they'll fix it later ;) But the thing let's see how much SA's one costs and if there is a special price for those who own Dune 3 or/and the Legend. We will see. It is sure very difficult for me to pay $149 (That's about $245 NZD without the taxes!) too much for me!

The Arturia's one I consider it a bonus now. I played a little (few minutes) with the demo just before the registration and my first impression is it is either hit or miss. Let's see after some days as I don't want to be in hurry to judge it.

EnGee wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:50 am Ok, this is why i like Arturia :love: Just one hour or two ago I sent them email, and now they have registered OB Xa and sent me email about it :) Ahem! compare that to NI who swallowed two Maschine expansions while trying to generate the transfer ID and for days there is nothing (it means I'm ignored :hihi: ) ahem!
Absolutely not my experience with NI. They were always very fast and helpful here.

There were a time when NI support was the ideal one for me! That time has passed it seems. Anyway, this is off topic. Let me enjoy the Buchla and CMI for now! they are "super duper" :D

Same bad style as all the other betatesters of the other synth.

I vote with my wallet and also tell the dev why I don't buy from him.

wagtunes wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:59 am
jamcat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:44 am I’ve seen a lot of fanboys of certain developers talking about how much better their ‘80s synth emulations are, but when I compare demos to the Arturia versions, it’s always the Arturia ones that sound like they actually came from the ‘80s.

These “home team synths” all sound more like ultra-slick modern VA synths. That’s great if that’s what you’re looking for, but they just done have a legit ‘70s/‘80s vibe to my ear.
So you actually think the Arturia MIni V sounds closer to an actual Minimoog than The Legend?

What planet are you living on? And yes, I own both and there is no comparison.
I wasn't primarily talking about The Legend, actually. I think Synapse is still an away team at KVR...

But, I did listen to the audio demos comparing The Legend to a minimoog on the Legend product page and noticed that while some sounds are very close, there are a few that are noticeably off. Keep in mind these are examples provided by the developer. I couldn't tell you how Arturia mini would fair in a similar comparison. I don't expect it to be bang on either.

But I can tell you that the VIBE of the Arturia stuff, to me, fits the sound of actual '80s songs. If you swapped out the moog bassline from a track off of Replicas or any '80s soul track, it would not feel out of place. I can't say that about other emulations. It's almost like they're too perfect. Maybe it has something to do with Arturia modeling osc instability, which is what TAE does.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Robmobius wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:25 am
jamcat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:44 am I’ve seen a lot of fanboys of certain developers talking about how much better their ‘80s synth emulations are, but when I compare demos to the Arturia versions, it’s always the Arturia ones that sound like they actually came from the ‘80s
Nah... Arturia's older synths sound meh compared to their competitors. You sound like the perfect Arturia fanboi. A tad ironic... :hihi:

I like their newer stuff, however.
Did you just assume my gender? :smack:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

nvm
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

AnX wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 am I'm a big fan of their hardware, it's cool stuff.
I am guessing the upvote/downvote system is for people to exercise their pettiness in secret ey :hihi:

Seriously though.get rid of it.shit like this is why i wont f**k with Reddit.who honestly gives a shit about some net reputation on a fringe interest site.im not exactly sure what it is supposed to indicate or what purpose it serves :?
I

Return to “Instruments”