Tape simulations for that mastering mojo.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I've been using Slate's VTM for a good while now and I like it.
But given the fact that there are quite a few new(ish) ones about, does anything out there sound that much better, for adding that extra tape mojo?

I've been thinking of purchasing IK Multimedia T-RackS Tape Machine Collection. It's a decent price on Audio Deluxe. And I've heard good things about it.

Anything else out there worth scoping out?

I already have Softubes tape (which is quite nice too).

Ta'.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

yeah. i got them. i put them on guitar tracks and snare. i think it adds warmth to the sound. I use mostly the 24.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

I never heard anything like IK Multimedia T-RackS Tape Machine Collection and it's the only tape emulation that I consider as really good sounding because it can really enhance the sound and doesn't sound like distortion/LoFi effect. Yesterday I practically did Mastering of old Synthwave track and it instantly placed all instruments in the right place. Just keep in mind that IKM Tapes eat CPU like madman ;) But you can really hear why it's so CPU intensive.
I don't have much experience with Slate except working with it a few years ago and I don't really remember how it sounds so I can't compare them.
Also, I don't have any experience with real tapes.
But I tried a few (plugins) of them and I found tape sims mostly degrading sound in a not pleasant way (especially Waves!)

pixel85 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:16 pm (especially Waves!)
waves' tape sims are not very good, no. they really chew up the sound, somehow.

Taupe, if you apply the correct model/preset to your material. I like the A8 (MCI 110)

My two choices are IK Multimedia Tape Machine Collection for algo tape mastering, and Acustica's Taupe for convolution tape mastering. Both are ace ! I prefer IKs for control-ability and Acustica's for realism

Thanks guys!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I love the IK Tape collection as well. But it is definately more of a sweetening/enhancing type of tape plugins, since they lack those Lo-Fi options like Noise, Wow & Flutter, Dropouts etc. that some other tape plugins have.
I especially like the "Hi-EQ" knobs on those machines. Unlike many digital EQs or saturation plugins, which quickly can sound harsh when you add too much treble content, these knobs add treble in such a pleasant way.
As far as CPU load goes, i get about 16% in FL's CPU meter on an i7-8086k. So if just using one instance on the master or maybe 1 or 2 more on busses, it's definately doable with a decent CPU.
My other top choice for tape plugin would be Satin. I like the tape compression effect alot, that already happens when you just turn the input knob a bit. Let alone the versatility when you get into all the additional settings.

IK Tape Collection, nothing else in the box compares if you’re after an actual tape emulator. Taupe is good for color.

I have IKM Tape Collection and the Softube one. The Softube one seems to have a lot of color and is much easier on CPU...can be placed on individual tracks.

The IKM is crazy CPU intensive and has a lot of latency, but sounds the most realistic. I can only use it after the track is done. It is great to have both in the arsenal though. If you don't have much money, the Softube will take care of you just fine.

@robmobius
one other suggestion.
the actual tape machines on mixanalog.com

https://mixanalog.com/products/telefunken_m15
https://mixanalog.com/products/studer
it's only a few dollars for a session of 15 minutes, and they both sound GREAT.

https://soundcloud.com/sleep_circle/wes ... n-fraser-1 this went through the studer, earlier

The best one, IMO, and it's free:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=536112

u-he satin.
it's the be all end all of tape simulation imo

everything else next to satin just seems either weak/too subtle, or plain ... wrong.

For mojo with punch in the low end Blackrooster Magnetite is my favorite. It really transfoms the sound when pushed. Satin is also great, but for my liking more to get smooth signals.

What about CHOWtape?

Return to “Effects”