Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Pick Two - One From Option 1 And One From Option 2

Option 1 Choice 1 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did affect my decision of which synth to buy.
15%
Option 1 Choice 2 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did not affect my decision of which synth to buy.
18%
Option 2 Choice 1 - My choice will be the synth that sounds the best.
24%
Option 2 Choice 2 - My choice will be the synth that is the cheapest.
5%
Option 2 Choice 3 - My choice will be Arturia regardless of any criteria.
8%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Obsession regardless of any criteria.
6%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Arturia and Obsession regardless of any criteria.
10%
Option 2 Choice 5 - I have no interest in this synth and will not buy either one.
14%

Total votes: 104

RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheMaestro wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:13 pm I bet you couldn’t pick an Oberheim, hardware or software, out of a handful of comparable synths.

i prob couldnt, might do well as a guestimate

i can hear diff in synths when i test them side by side for specific things (obviously) , but i couldn't tell you what synth was in a certain song if i didn't already know (ie jump....) or it was blatantly obvious

i dont care either, I like synths that make sounds i like

urosh wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:23 pm
TheMaestro wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:02 pm Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, or you think these differences will make you hear something, but I meant a listening test.
In blind listening test I've easily picked Matrix 1000 vs. Diva.
is diva meant to be a m1000 emulation?

No, but it was not meant as OB8 recreation either, and yet people bring that test up all the time.

ive had people who should know better, couldnt tell a guitat from a saxophone in a mix before now.
different synths :shrug:

use what works!!!!!

In M1000 vs. Diva test OP asked to describe why we have chosen the way we have chosen before revealing which is which, so I described, that's how I have proof.

vurt wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:33 pm use what works!!!!!
Pretty much only relevant thing. OB-Xa V doesn't work for me, both sonically and from UX/UI perspective, and that's it, no amount of blind listening tests and comparisons with this and that will help it. And it will work perfectly for someone else. If Obsession doesn't work for me, I will not get it, even if someone makes test indistinguishable from real thing.

Reefius wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm This thread seems to go in the same direction as many other threads started by wags... He starts an argument, and when he can't win that argument, he's gonna say how much he hates this place and that he will never post again in the Instruments forum, then lock the thread.

This poll is pretty pointless as long as Obsession is not released. Nobody (except for a few beta testers) can actually compare both synths.

I presonally don't care which synth is closest to the original. I tried the demo of the Arturia OB-Xa V and liked it, so I bought it.
No, not at all. People pointed out that there are flaws in the poll (no "buy the one that sounds best option") and that's fine. It wasn't designed to be perfect. It was designed to show just one thing. That having to now compete with Arturia, that sales will be lost. And clearly it shows that sales will be lost.

People want to claim that's a "duh" statement given that's the nature of competition, that's fine too.

And no, I'm not locking the thread. I've developed a pretty thick skin thanks to this miserable place. Even offered to give Bones a gun to shoot me for a flawed poll if he likes.

Maybe you'll like a shot as well. I'll include plenty of bullets so you don't miss.

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:56 pm. It was designed to show just one thing. That having to now compete with Arturia, that sales will be lost. And clearly it shows that sales will be lost.
actually, it doesn't

saying "will buy arturia before sale ends and not buy obsession" means just that

there is no evidence to suggest all those ppl were waiting for obsession, but now arturia is out they bought that instead

its such a badly flawed poll, its laughable

and FYI, Rich won't be rushing anything because of arturia or you bleating.

Don't forget the option to not care which one you use, because you'd end up mangling it beyond it's original form to create something new, unique and hopefully exciting enough to listen to.

Instead of sounds from grandpa's record collection again... :hihi:
Last edited by fuzzlightyear on Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

How many people have been recruited into the firing squad so far? :lol: :hug:

Niowiad wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm How many people have been recruited into the firing squad so far? :lol: :hug:
Anyone who wants to join in is welcome.

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm
Niowiad wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm How many people have been recruited into the firing squad so far? :lol: :hug:
seems a little harsh for a flawed poll.
im gonna commute the sentence to life imprisonment. :)

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:56 pm It was designed to show just one thing. That having to now compete with Arturia, that sales will be lost. And clearly it shows that sales will be lost.
Actually it doesn't show this at all. Both of the categories that indicate someone will not buy Obsession and will buy Arturia, indicate only that. It does not give a reason. Anyone who would never have bought Obsession, but may enjoy Arturia products (especially ones that already own the v collection), could have still fallen in these categories, and probably do. So unfortunately the poll tells us exactly nothing. In order to claim what you are trying to claim, you would need to know that someone would have bought Obsession in the absence of the Arturia version, but because the Arturia one was released first, has decided to only buy the Arturia version. Even if there was a category for that, it still wouldn't guarantee that one of those people wouldn't change their mind and buy Obsession also once they demo it, although at least you could forecast based on people's currently opinion of the situation.

The reason people are giving you crap for this and saying you are bullying etc. (though I think that's a bit far), is that you wanted to prove this point and made an ambiguous poll that it biased in this direction.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Fri May 22, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm
wagtunes wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm
seems a little harsh for a flawed poll.
im gonna commute the sentence to life imprisonment. :)
Welcome to KVR ... you'll never leave. :scared:

This poll is faulty. It doesn't mention the X-OBXa that NI will release in Komplete 14, nor the one beeing developped atm by my neighbour, Mr Jean Uber-heim, which will be released only for Iphones for OSs 117, and delivered by a chauffeur to your home (Obélix-A)
So ... I could not vote. :help:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Return to “Instruments”