What are the best plugins that don't sound like vintage synths / older analog synths?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What are the best vsts, soundsets, etc that aren't based on or sound like vintage synths or older analog synths?

I used to have camel audio alchemy but I'm having trouble installing it on my new computer since they took everything down. I feel like alchemy had a wide variety of sounds. I imagine there are a lot of options in Komplete 12. What else would you recommend? I have a lot of plugins that are supposed to sound like vintage synths or older analog synths and I'm looking for something different.

So many.

I mean, take your pick. Sample-based, additive, wavetable, physical modelling, etc., etc.

Even some subtractive or FM softsynths sound absolutely nothing like vintage synths, and/or can go far beyond those.

Plus, of course, many softsynths can combine synthesis types, and do so in ways that hardware never has.

And “best” to my mind means an interface and workflow (and sound) you happen to like.

If you have Komplete 12, the Razor Reaktor additive synth is not is definitely not the same-old. Neither is Madrona Labs' Kaivo (granular/physical modeling). Likewise for Applied Acoustics Systems' physically-modeled String Studio and Chromaphone.

Double post :)
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Fri May 22, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pretty much anything by Sugar Bytes, Glitchmachines or Inear Display. Symptohm by OhmForce is unusual ... as are Icarus, Electra & Rayblaster from Tone2 and LION from Unfiltered Audio. Quanta, Axon and Phosphor2 by Audio Damage are cool and different too.

For free there's SURGE :)

Hive2 is one

Make your music. Why u ask a dumb af question?

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 pm Pretty much anything by Sugar Bytes, Glitchmachines or Inear Display. Symptohm by OhmForce is unusual ... as are Icarus, Electra & Rayblaster from Tone2 and LION from Unfiltered Audio. Quanta, Axon and Phosphor2 by Audio Damage are cool and different too.

I thought Phosphor was based on the AlphaSyntuari synth...

Dune 3

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 pm Pretty much anything by Sugar Bytes, Glitchmachines or Inear Display. Symptohm by OhmForce is unusual ... as are Icarus, Electra & Rayblaster from Tone2 and LION from Unfiltered Audio. Quanta, Axon and Phosphor2 by Audio Damage are cool and different too.

I would second much of this, and also add Tone2's Gladiator synth, which I have found is abundantly capable of making the sort of cuttingly digital tones that to me are the opposite of vintage analog...

lots of cheapies are very good eg Waves Flow Motion, 2ndSense Wiggle, Air Loom2. More expensive - Falcon covers a huge range

I was impressed recently with Sugarbytes' Aparillo, which gets you plenty of weird, if busy, options easily, especially using its planetary screen.

Lazerbass was one that really jumped out at me as "how would you even begin to do this with other synths?" Razor is a bit more polished and does similar things.

Soundemote's oscilloscope music synths also have a really fresh digital sound to them.

DS Audio Thorn is one of them.
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Sonic Charge Synplant.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”