Wavearts trackplug alternative?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mike@manike wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 3:34 pm Wavearts have just released trackplug6. Used to love this plug - used it all the time.

Trackplug 6 adds Catalina support but not a whole load else sadly. Resizeable would have been ace. Especially for that EQ.
The EQ also cramps towards Nyquist. Wish they had a 2x oversampling switch to resolve it. Other then the GUI size that's my only gripe. Love it otherwise.

If they updated and modernised and really worked on each of their plugins , their bundle would be pretty awesome tbh.

I'd definitely be interested in it.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

The update price is too expensive considering it doesn't add much (and still no resizable GUI)

aMUSEd wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am The update price is too expensive considering it doesn't add much (and still no resizable GUI)
This!

OS compatibility, working installers etc. are all necessary. Preset management tweaks...great! But these would be mere 'point' upgrades, and probably free, for any other developer. They've done the bare minimum to keep the plugins working, but are charging a high upgrade price.

Like you say, the lack of gui-resizing is a big omission. For my setup, the size is still ok, but I can understand those who are using much greater resolutions having problems. But i really would like an option to break out/expand the eq, for more detailed work. Also, a mix knob for the compressor modules is a huge 'minus', these days. Had they addressed any of this, or even looked like they cared, i might have upgraded. As it is, I'm also looking for a replacement.

On a side-note, I contacted the developer about the implications of selling the license. I got the information I needed, but it was quite telling that they showed no interest in my reason for selling. All these things combined make me think that perhaps this is just a side-hustle for them, and that they manage to keep enough rolling in for it to remain worthwhile, but nothing more.

Who knows?

Either way, it's a real shame :shrug:

I got the v. 6 'upgrade offer' from Wavearts and had to close my dropped jaw with the help of my left thumb, when I read that in order to run my FinalPlug v. 5 on a modern OS, I had to pay USD 52.15 to enjoy the exact same functionality on Mojave and Catalina.

Fifty bucks for a technical update, with no change in usability since at least 2006?

Thank you very much, but I don't think so.

This smells of company economic problems because of absent technical innovation since many years.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Wusik was contested a few years ago because they tried to raise funds just to make their plugins work on newer Windows (x64 and so) versions.
They had to retire quickly the funding initiative, it was really badly received by users (me included).
So, I hope that the Wave Arts guys have other main jobs, because, as mentioned already, I agree in hardly believing that they can go on through the years by releasing so few updates and new products (and charging for something which is just, indeed, due for the products to work properly on up to date OSs).
I would have wanted to pay for something like more flexible UI (scalable and so on) and introduction of dynamic eq or mid-side processing (they were among the first to do something like dynamic processing, but they stopped adding innovation then).

But it doesn't seem anything has been done in this regard.

- Mario

I’ve seen this kind of thing a few times over the last 15 to 20 years. Sonalkais is one example that comes to mind. In short, I see it as a sign that is the beginning of the end.

Not that I am saying people should just drop their plugin so completely, I do suggest that you continue using them with “caution” and perhaps keep your eye out for decent alternatives while slowly phasing them out.

With any luck it will be a just false alarm and they will start releasing new features and new plugins again. If not, at least you won’t be painting yourself into a corner.

When I emailed Bill back in August of 2018, he had a pretty long list of new features for Panorama. I suspect that Catalina got in the way and forced a release that's largely a freshening of the old code. I'd guess that those who've recently upgraded will get a break of some sort on a future major release, and those that didn't, won't. But all that's just a guess on my part.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

simon.a.billington wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:56 pm I’ve seen this kind of thing a few times over the last 15 to 20 years. Sonalkais is one example that comes to mind. In short, I see it as a sign that is the beginning of the end.

Not that I am saying people should just drop their plugin so completely, I do suggest that you continue using them with “caution” and perhaps keep your eye out for decent alternatives while slowly phasing them out.

With any luck it will be a just false alarm and they will start releasing new features and new plugins again. If not, at least you won’t be painting yourself into a corner.
These plugins have seemingly remained the same for over a decade. And now it looks like they were forced to get Catalina-ready, while passing on the cost of that to the customer, and listing new installers among scant other features.

As soon as i have to move up to Catalina, it'll cost me $60 to install it...and that ain't going to happen. I had lost faith in the developer adding any new features, already, but would have continued to use TP (I'd even have paid $10 - $15 for that continued compatibility). With this move, however, they've lost my trust.

For the moment I've decided to stick with separate plugins, especially as the included Logic EQ & Comp only need one click to instantiate (They also offer direct, in-line, visual feedback), sound great, and are very CPU light (Important for my 8-year-old laptop).

If I do tire of multiple window management, and once again yearn for a decent strip, then it'll be this baby:

https://www.tb-software.com/TBProAudio/cs5501.html

I still have Trackplug 5 installed but i rarely use it now...

It's there for nostalgia more than anything else because my go to channel strip is Alloy 2...

Alloy 2 is a comprehensive one stop solution...

The Analog Studio Rack by Nomad Factory is another underated gem that has a lot of great features and can handle a lot of different tasks...

We are so spoilt for choices these days :)
No auto tune...

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:32 pm Image
I tried to like this but the blurry graphics bothered the piss out of me. I kept thinking that my eyes were going bad.

cturner wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:38 pm When I emailed Bill back in August of 2018, he had a pretty long list of new features for Panorama. I suspect that Catalina got in the way and forced a release that's largely a freshening of the old code. I'd guess that those who've recently upgraded will get a break of some sort on a future major release, and those that didn't, won't. But all that's just a guess on my part.
I bought Panorama 6 just a few weeks ago and a stunning plugin that really opened up a new world, kind of. Very well thought out.
Bill also fixed a few bugs I found to the next day, very rare with such response I'd say.

Don't know how recent, but now you can choose iLok or his own C/R type licensing as well(online or offline).

If I didn't have Waves all I need since 2013 I would look at the rest he offers.

The "upgrade price" totally is a bad joke nonetheless. To even just call it an upgrade when there's no new functionality whatsoever is quite something already. I mean: I can kind of understand that the Apple users deserve some punishment for supporting a company that keeps and keeps and keeps doing that (And let's wait until they move over to arm soon),
but what about us Windows users? You wanna make us pay for that too? f**k off, seriously!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:30 am I mean: I can kind of understand that the Apple users deserve some punishment for supporting a company that keeps and keeps and keeps doing that (And let's wait until they move over to arm soon),
but what about us Windows users? You wanna make us pay for that too? f**k off, seriously!
nah, you pay for plethora of available cracked software instead

Sorry, but that's utter nonsense!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”