Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Pick Two - One From Option 1 And One From Option 2

Option 1 Choice 1 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did affect my decision of which synth to buy.
13
15%
Option 1 Choice 2 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did not affect my decision of which synth to buy.
17
19%
Option 2 Choice 1 - My choice will be the synth that sounds the best.
19
22%
Option 2 Choice 2 - My choice will be the synth that is the cheapest.
5
6%
Option 2 Choice 3 - My choice will be Arturia regardless of any criteria.
6
7%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Obsession regardless of any criteria.
5
6%
Option 2 Choice 4 - My choice will be Arturia and Obsession regardless of any criteria.
10
11%
Option 2 Choice 5 - I have no interest in this synth and will not buy either one.
13
15%
 
Total votes: 88

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
64964 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:47 am

cgi. sorry.

User avatar
Calenberger
KVRian
1362 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:11 am

Cinebient wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 3:46 am
vurt wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 3:43 am
Cinebient wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 3:34 am
I guess also we all hear things different and judge them different as well. Now that i saw a lot comparisons and heard all the demos of hardware against software and also people posted here there is nothing really special what i hear i cannot do already with half of my plug-ins. Some even have more balls and meat :)
But lets discuss the rainbow farting unicorn.
I mean i think in the things i saw the hardware was better but still not better than some software synths which are not even a OB emulation but sounds almost better anyway.
Is that lockdown syndrome?
unicorns dont fart.
youve been sold a pony with a dildo glued to its head.
Whaaat?!? Is that not a fact here.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLnK6BFT_2c
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, kanntu meine musi hoeren da:
https://sonoryth.bandcamp.com/
Signature Sound

User avatar
Ingonator
KVRAF
12197 posts since 21 Mar, 2008 from Hannover, Germany

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:18 am

Beta tester & sound designer
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19062 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:22 am

Cinebient wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 am
chk071 wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 3:37 am
No, just personal preference. :)
Indeed. It is just that some people think their meaning is a fact.
Maybe people with a perfect pitch could judge it or an A.I. and say what we should like because we are not supposed to have our own meaning. :D
F.e. the example sound you wanted to be recreated in the (for me) forbidden thread is nothing special for me and i say i can do that with at least 2-3 synths and even better (which would be for me Dagger and P900 f.e.) but i bet you would say it does not sound that good. So in general all comparisons made by other are meaningless until you not really use it in real-time but they are still useful as inspiration or to see for people like me who never played the real thing and ask me now what is so special. We are all biased anyway if we want or not.
Of course we're all biased. We like what we like for whatever reason.

And for me, it's not a question of "Synth A sounds better than Synth B" though some synths really do sound like crap (most Synthedit stuff)

For me, it's a question of "Is this synth going to give me the sound I need for THIS particular song?"

I do a lot of genre emulations from the 70s, 80s and so on. And sometimes I am looking for a very specific sound. For example, when I did by Prog Rock CD, I wanted as authentic a Mellotron sound as I could get. M-Tron Pro gave it to me. That doesn't mean I think that M-Tron Pro is the greatest sounding synth of all. In fact, I use it very seldom. But when I need THAT sound, I'm glad I have it.

That's how I feel about Oberheim synths in general. I do not necessarily feel that they are the greatest sounding synths ever made. In fact, in reality, they are very limited in the variety of sounds they can make relative to other synths. But when I want that 80s Oberheim sound, nothing else will do. Why settle for close when I can have exact?

That's the way I look at it and approach it when creating music.

YMMV greatly.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
64964 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 am

again, obvious cgi, check the guys beard.

User avatar
BlitBit
KVRist
320 posts since 28 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:31 am

wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 am
AnX wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 am
Option 1 Choice 1 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did affect my decision of which synth to buy
that could mean a few things, including "I tried the Arturia one and didn't like it so will buy the other one"

still a flawed and pointless poll, looking forward to see where the goal posts end up next time :lol:
Let me give you a little lesson in logic, something you seem to be lacking.

The key word is "affect" which means that one, a decision had been made and two, that it was changed with the appearance of Arturia in the mix.
[...]
I'm not a native speaker but I'm pretty sure that the word "affect" does not imply that a decision has to be changed. Let's consider the following chain of events:
  1. I don't know of any of these two synths.
  2. Arturia releases OB-Xa.
  3. Arturia's release of OB-Xa makes this stupid thread come into existence.
  4. I stumble over this thread and become aware that both these synths exist.
  5. I later decide to buy Synapse's Obsession because I like it better.
Arturia's release has now affected my decision to buy Obsession.

No need to give condescending lectures on logic if the own understanding of logic is flawed.

Edit: A decision can also be affected by an event in that you now have to consider additional factors but it does not necessarily imply that you have to change your decision. You just have to take more factors into account. In your example you have checked out Arturia's offering and decided not to buy it. It still affected you in that you spent time on investigation. In principle everyone who now knows about Arturia's release is in a way affected by it. Some more, some less.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
64964 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 am

logic?
have you tried reaper?

User avatar
BlitBit
KVRist
320 posts since 28 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:40 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 4:38 am
logic?
have you tried reaper?
I'll try it: "No need to give condescending lectures on REAPER if the own understanding of REAPER is flawed."

Hey, also works! :wink:
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
19062 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:42 am

BlitBit wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 4:31 am
wagtunes wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 am
AnX wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 am
Option 1 Choice 1 - Arturia's release of OB-Xa did affect my decision of which synth to buy
that could mean a few things, including "I tried the Arturia one and didn't like it so will buy the other one"

still a flawed and pointless poll, looking forward to see where the goal posts end up next time :lol:
Let me give you a little lesson in logic, something you seem to be lacking.

The key word is "affect" which means that one, a decision had been made and two, that it was changed with the appearance of Arturia in the mix.
[...]
I'm not a native speaker but I'm pretty sure that the word "affect" does not imply that a decision has to be changed. Let's consider the following chain of events:
  1. I don't know of any of these two synths.
  2. Arturia releases OB-Xa.
  3. Arturia's release of OB-Xa makes this stupid thread come into existence.
  4. I stumble over this thread and become aware that both these synths exist.
  5. I later decide to buy Synapse's Obsession because I like it better.
Arturia's release has now affected my decision to buy Obsession.

No need to give condescending lectures on logic if the own understanding of logic is flawed.

Edit: A decision can also be affected by an event in that you now have to consider additional factors but it does not necessarily imply that you have to change your decision. You just have to take more factors into account. In your example you have checked out Arturia's offering and decided not to buy it. It still affected you in that you spent time on investigation. In principle everyone who now knows about Arturia's release is in a way affected by it. Some more, some less.
Except if you didn't know about either synth (obviously you couldn't know about Arturia because it didn't exist yet) then no decision COULD have been made. You had no information to make any decision on. In that case, the question wouldn't apply.

So yes, if someone had no knowledge of the existence of any OB emulation, the poll is irrelevant.

The poll is directed to people who KNEW there was Obsession and either had or hadn't made a decision based on that knowledge. At that point in time, the existence of Arturia either affected or didn't affect their previous decision, whatever that decision was, whether it was to buy Obsession or not buy Obsession.

I hope that clears that up.

User avatar
Calenberger
KVRian
1362 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:56 am

This thread is obviously affected by the Lockdown Syndrome.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, kanntu meine musi hoeren da:
https://sonoryth.bandcamp.com/
Signature Sound

Examigan
KVRAF
5229 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 am

There are 4 threads now about Arturia OB-Xa V and/or Synapse Audio's synth. I wonder what the KVR world record is for the amount of threads/polls on certain synth plugins?

User avatar
BlitBit
KVRist
320 posts since 28 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:04 am

Examigan wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 am
There are 4 threads now about Arturia OB-Xa V and/or Synapse Audio's synth. I wonder what the KVR world record is for the amount of threads/polls on certain synth plugins?
I think it has become a bit of an...

...Obsession. *badumtish*
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Examigan
KVRAF
5229 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 am

:hihi:

User avatar
vurt
addled muppet weed
64964 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:10 am

Examigan wrote: ↑
Sat May 23, 2020 5:01 am
There are 4 threads now about Arturia OB-Xa V and/or Synapse Audio's synth. I wonder what the KVR world record is for the amount of threads/polls on certain synth plugins?
but, of the 4 threads, which is best?
maybe another poll is in order?

Examigan
KVRAF
5229 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Re: Obsession Vs OB-Xa V Poll

Post Sat May 23, 2020 5:13 am


Return to β€œInstruments”