Looking for a solid ‘pad synth’ under $50

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OB-Xd - Virtual Analog Synthesizer

I’m relatively new to vst but not new to synthesis. On a bit of a budget getting going here and looking for a solid synth that’s geared toward making nice pads, digital or analog sounding doesn’t matter. I’ve looked into Union and Synthmaster Player but wanted to know what else was around in the under $50 range? Yes I will one day buy better synths but for now I am on a budget starting out. Windows 10 64 bit 16gb RAM intel I7 if it matters.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with Synthmaster Player. It was one of my first synths and, to this day even with over 100 VSTs owned, I still use it. The full version that is, which can be gotten on sale many times for like $60.

Other than that, you might want to look into these

Iris 2
Sunrizer
Zeta+2
Carbon Electra

There's really not much to choose from in that price range.

wagtunes wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:18 pm Seriously, you can't go wrong with Synthmaster Player. It was one of my first synths and, to this day even with over 100 VSTs owned, I still use it. The full version that is, which can be gotten on sale many times for like $60.

Other than that, you might want to look into these

Iris 2
Sunrizer
Zeta+2
Carbon Electra

There's really not much to choose from in that price range.
Carbon Electra looks pretty nice. I have used Sunrizer for years on iOS and love it. Iris 2 is 3x the price I’m looking for. Didn’t know Beepstreet made vst too.

Synthmaster Player, I know is a preset synth but at 29 bucks for 1700 presets I think I could get a lot out of that for years.

Thanks for your response and input...I know there isn’t much quality at this price range. Say I were to increase my budget to $75, do things get better at this range?

Frankbooth wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 pm I’m relatively new to vst but not new to synthesis. On a bit of a budget getting going here and looking for a solid synth that’s geared toward making nice pads, digital or analog sounding doesn’t matter. I’ve looked into Union and Synthmaster Player but wanted to know what else was around in the under $50 range? Yes I will one day buy better synths but for now I am on a budget starting out. Windows 10 64 bit 16gb RAM intel I7 if it matters.
Try OB-Xd https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/ and of course J3PO bank https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWrcWjQEsg0

Free synths like Podolski or Zebralette from U-he are good enough for this.

I you don't fear creating an account at Roland Cloud and using Roland Cloud Manager software you could get the free Lite version of the new Roland Zenology plugin. FWIW this has no VST2 but VST3 only. From what i heard using the commercial expansions that you can buy at Roland CLoud manager also work with the Lite version.

The cheapest subscription for using the current standard version of Zenology and all current expansions is 2.99$ per month (= Core subscription) and the first month is free including the full collection of available plugins.

The current standard version of Zenology (with a subscription) includes 3678 factory presets and with the sound packs and expansions 6344 presets overall (including many drum kits).

At the moment this is only a "player" version of the plugin until the Pro version comes out which offers full editing. The Zen-Core engine (same engine as in the new Fantom workstation) allows combining samples and VA oscilators and also includes analog filter models.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Frankbooth wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:00 pm I’m relatively new to vst but not new to synthesis. On a bit of a budget getting going here and looking for a solid synth that’s geared toward making nice pads, digital or analog sounding doesn’t matter. I’ve looked into Union and Synthmaster Player but wanted to know what else was around in the under $50 range? Yes I will one day buy better synths but for now I am on a budget starting out. Windows 10 64 bit 16gb RAM intel I7 if it matters.
Check the Sell & Buy forum: viewforum.php?f=43

Good stuff to get there for that price. Maybe native instruments Massive, which often can be had for that price. With that, you'll be set for a while.

Cinebient wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm Free synths like Podolski or Zebralette from U-he are good enough for this.
this guy! :tu:

not just those 2, theres enough quality free synths and fx and depending on your host there will be some there to get you started :)

save the cash, till you know better what it is you seek 8)

vurt wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 pm
Cinebient wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:41 pm Free synths like Podolski or Zebralette from U-he are good enough for this.
this guy! :tu:

not just those 2, theres enough quality free synths and fx and depending on your host there will be some there to get you started :)

save the cash, till you know better what it is you seek 8)
Podolski looks great! Unfortunately the download from U-He is doing nothing.

Buy digital issue of computer music magazine any $5- you get DUNE CM & ThornCM great for pads.
Last edited by k2006 on Sat May 23, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Depending on the style you're after you might also want to take a look at JP6K by Adam Szabo. It costs 25€ (which should be 25-30$) and you can get some nice classic pad sounds out of it.

I for example really like some of the sounds starting at around 1 minute here:
https://youtu.be/_rCBd4_NEFM?t=57
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

I second the Zebralette and Computer Music suggestions. Zebralette is ugly as pig, but a superb synth with very low CPU usage- excellent for layering!

Thorn CM is the closest you can get to Linplug Spectral these days, which is my #1 for pads. CM also gets you a 2-osc version of Bazille, also great for pads.

Korg Wavestation?

Synthmaster for pad's but if you have multi-layer stuff in mind maybe check stuff for kontakt.

Return to “Instruments”