Chords view in Sundog Studio: Are there any other apps with this feature?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I have been messing around with a demo of Sundog studio and I very much enjoy the Chord View page where you can select a song key, and see an entire family of chords that relate to the key.
I have been using it to discover chord progressions that feature augmented or diminished variations of the chords.
The interface is the most easily accessible way to construct a MIDI sequence of chords that I have found to date.
In the past I have used EZ Piano in a similar manner, as it also offers a useful presentation of the chords in relation to the song key, but the gui display is tiny, and it does not display as many chords at once.

I am writing to ask if there are any other applications that focus on a chord progressions in a manner similar to the Chord View of Sundog Studio, and doesn't have a lot of other song construction features.

I am asking because I feel like I am only using a very small part of Sundog Studio's features. For example, I more or less ignore the melody, percussion, rhythmic, or arpeggio functions. I prefer to play those types of parts or write them in my DAW after I have a made a chord progression and exported it as a MIDI track.

I have tried Scaler, and it was nice but I really like the way that Sundog displays so many chords in one view. With Scaler, it felt like I had to dig through menus to find chord variations while in Sundog it seemed like I could listen to a chord voicing as quickly as I could click on it.

I would love to find an app that worked like the Chord View in Sundog Studio and had a few more features that focused on the chords progression.

For example; Sundog Studio lets you construct a progression but there is no practical way to look at a "chart" of the progression. In other words once you have assigned the chords to the sequence they are sort of hidden. The chord view displays an interval as whole number interval, and doesn't reveal the subtle variations. So, I would enjoy an application that labeled the chords shown in the sequence chart. That is something that EZ Keys does well, but the small GUI ,makes the labeling less useful than it might be.

In any event, I would appreciate learning if there are any other good applications to consider.

Thank you for any suggestions you may offer.

My suggestion is Suggester:

https://www.mathieurouthier.com/suggester/

Constant updates; lots of flexibility; you can even make custom chords.

Free:
https://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I use Captain Chords and i like it.

Michael L wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm My suggestion is Suggester:

https://www.mathieurouthier.com/suggester/

Constant updates; lots of flexibility; you can even make custom chords.

Free:
https://www.mucoder.net/en/tonespace/
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have mentioned I am on Windows. I have an iPhone but the app interface is not what I am looking for. The Mac OS version seems to have the sort of all at once display I favor, but I can't run it on Windows.

Thank you!

NeoKortex88 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:23 pm I use Captain Chords and i like it.
Thank you for the information.

I took a look at Captain Chords, and the two step access to chords, e.g. click the Triad interval to see the available variations is different than what I am interested in. Captain Chords' chord selection interface reminds me of Scaler, and the things that did not appeal to me.

I like the immediacy of seeing all those chords in one view, as they are displayed in Sundog Song Studio. That feature lets me click and listen quickly so that I may hear the relationships immediately without having to call up the menu with an interim selection.

I guess that's the feature I prioritize, and am wondering if any other applications offer this while focusing more strictly on the chord progression structure rather than the orchestration.

In Sundog the Chord View that I like so much is sort of relegated to a side stage function meant to help with complete song fabrication. I really like the Chord feature, and I am wondering if something else offers more of what I Iike and less of what I am disinterested in.

Thank you!
Last edited by morty cowverb on Sat May 23, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I also use this:
https://www.songtive.com/products/piano-companion
X-platform, very good developer, more theory.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I completely agree with you. I have not yet found anything as immediately useful as Sundog’s chord view. Would be nice to have something like this in a plugin format.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Hi,
I have continued to look for features similar to those offered in the chord view of Sundog Song Studio and have not found anything worth mentioning.

The ability to see all the chords related to a scale at once, to be able to tap and listen to the chords, and especially to be able to tap out a sequence to immediately hear the relationships between the chords, seems unique to Sundog Song Studio.

It is a powerfully effective interface. I find it ironic that it is sort of buried as a secondary feature in the Sundog Studio Application.

I would love to have a streamlined application and plugin dedicated to this type pf preview function, that could also export or transfer MIDI to a DAW.

I am writing again to ask if I am missing some other product that I may consider as an option.

Thank you!

Hi Morty,

thanks a lot for your very nice feedback :)! It's very cool to know that the Sundog Chords Page is so useful :party:. Yes, it's "just" one part of the complete Sundog workflow, but because of the MIDI drag and drop feature, it's pretty easy to work with the chords page and then continue to use the DAW for the rest.

Cheers, and thanks again for your comment 8)
Hauke of FeelYourSound (the developer behind Sundog)
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”