Need new, budget friendly studio speakers

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
27405 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat May 23, 2020 1:34 pm

MissOptimyst wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Which audio interface would be recommended for those speakers that use XLR?
Input or output?

MissOptimyst
KVRist
118 posts since 1 Mar, 2020

Re: Need new, budget friendly studio speakers

Post Sat May 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Would be output for speakers but input for vocals.

codec_spurt
KVRAF
4151 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm

Just make sure to get two sets of speakers, no matter what, even if one is really bad and cheap like Auratone.

Anything to give perspective.

MissOptimyst
KVRist
118 posts since 1 Mar, 2020

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:51 pm

codec_spurt wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:28 pm
Just make sure to get two sets of speakers, no matter what, even if one is really bad and cheap like Auratone.

Anything to give perspective.
Thanks for the advice! I still have my Harman Kardon Soundsticks III if I need them, it just is falling apart after a decade of heavy use and it’s time to move on haha.

clipnotic
KVRist
225 posts since 19 Sep, 2007 from Germany

Post Sat May 23, 2020 4:25 pm

I worked with many different studio speakers and my "best" was a really expensive Focal system with RME soundcard and so on. Some years ago, I visited a good friend and he had a very old hi-fi system in his cellar. I tested it one hour and sold my Focal system. Three days ago it brokes and yesterday I went to a good second hand hi-fi store and found a old Technics system and bought it for 150 Euro and this thing is better than every studio speakers I ever bought! :D
VST developers need more motivation and best motivation is hardcore criticism! :D
My english is terrible, feel free to correct me! :wink:

roman.i
KVRist
245 posts since 25 Aug, 2019

Post Sun May 24, 2020 1:29 am

MissOptimyst wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:23 pm
Which audio interface would be recommended for those speakers that use XLR? I also am looking for a good interface to support vocals as well. I’ve been looking at Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 or Komplete Audio 2. Any suggestions there?
There is nothing special in speakers that use XLR for input signal, any interface that has two balanced outputs(left, right) will work, just make sure you have the right cables to connect whatever connector audio interface has to XLR.
For vocals you'll need a pre-amped input for the mic.
Two things to pay attention to when buying an audio interface are the latency and driver stability on the relevant operating system Mac Os/Windows. Read buyers' feedback on online stores.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”