Re: Pulsar 900 Series

Post Sat May 23, 2020 8:05 am

Raddler1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:53 am
Cinebient wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:57 pm
Raddler1 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 pm
Oh boy I really don't want to read 82 pages of this thread but I'm on the fence whether to buy this synth.

Might anyone offer 3 positive and 3 negative points about this synth reference this large thread?
There is a 14 day demo which might answer all you need :)
I am demoing it, but that won't cover 82 pages of a thread. I just find it odd how a really nice sounding synth isn't talked about more. Makes me skeptical of something I may not be noticing. I imagine mac/AU only doesn't help though.
I guess it is not for every one and like you said mac and AU only is also a big thing as well. That might change in the future. Of course some just might do not like the sound at all or the GUI or the workflow or missing some features. All is legit.
So if you like the sound and it fits your workflow and you like it how it is right now then go for it. Otherwise is there something you are searching for?
The short story is it was mainly abandoned but a new developer/owner of P900 is now working on it again. It makes some trouble in Logic 10.5 now but i guess (hopefully) this get solved. No secret that it is my favorite synth since it just gives me the sound i ever wanted and so i forgive P900 some flaws it might have.
They are working also now on a FX plug-in but at the end you must do your research since no one knows what you are might missing here.

Raddler1
KVRist
167 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Montreal

Post Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Cinebient wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:05 am
Raddler1 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
Raddler1 wrote:
Oh boy I really don't want to read 82 pages of this thread but I'm on the fence whether to buy this synth.

Might anyone offer 3 positive and 3 negative points about this synth reference this large thread?
I am demoing it, but that won't cover 82 pages of a thread. I just find it odd how a really nice sounding synth isn't talked about more. Makes me skeptical of something I may not be noticing. I imagine mac/AU only doesn't help though.
I guess it is not for every one and like you said mac and AU only is also a big thing as well. That might change in the future. Of course some just might do not like the sound at all or the GUI or the workflow or missing some features. All is legit.
So if you like the sound and it fits your workflow and you like it how it is right now then go for it. Otherwise is there something you are searching for?
The short story is it was mainly abandoned but a new developer/owner of P900 is now working on it again. It makes some trouble in Logic 10.5 now but i guess (hopefully) this get solved. No secret that it is my favorite synth since it just gives me the sound i ever wanted and so i forgive P900 some flaws it might have.
They are working also now on a FX plug-in but at the end you must do your research since no one knows what you are might missing here.
Thanks for your response. I was doing that internet thing the other day, you know, aimlessly scouring for a softsynth I had never tried, something unique that would be comparable to Diva, Repro and Arturia's best stuff. To my surprise I came across the P90 and was VERY shocked I had never heard of it, esp since I do that internet thing a LOT. I'm currently demo'ing and I've had a few moments where I was ready to buy it regardless of price, it sounded that good. But then at times I felt it was lacking, maybe a bit too little weight in the lows and juiciness in the highs. Now I'm reading of audio burst (which I've experienced 2 days into the demo) and also I find the automation is a bit quirky in logic. Still very much considering it but I'm not into buying buggy, unusable abandonware. Anyways, here I am...

I'm on logic 10.5, what are the bugs you speak of? Anything major I should know before purchasing it? Do you find it useable even with whatever bugs you deal with?

EDIT: Now I'm finding that logic is not learning automation on the synths parameters, have you experienced that?

Starting to think this thing is too good to be true :(

Cinebient
KVRAF
4765 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sun May 24, 2020 3:08 am

Raddler1 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 pm
Cinebient wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:05 am
Raddler1 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
Raddler1 wrote:

Thanks for your response. I was doing that internet thing the other day, you know, aimlessly scouring for a softsynth I had never tried, something unique that would be comparable to Diva, Repro and Arturia's best stuff. To my surprise I came across the P90 and was VERY shocked I had never heard of it, esp since I do that internet thing a LOT. I'm currently demo'ing and I've had a few moments where I was ready to buy it regardless of price, it sounded that good. But then at times I felt it was lacking, maybe a bit too little weight in the lows and juiciness in the highs. Now I'm reading of audio burst (which I've experienced 2 days into the demo) and also I find the automation is a bit quirky in logic. Still very much considering it but I'm not into buying buggy, unusable abandonware. Anyways, here I am...

I'm on logic 10.5, what are the bugs you speak of? Anything major I should know before purchasing it? Do you find it useable even with whatever bugs you deal with?

EDIT: Now I'm finding that logic is not learning automation on the synths parameters, have you experienced that?

Starting to think this thing is too good to be true :(
While you cannot learn automation you can at least choose all from the list in Logic.
P900 seems to crash Logic 10.5 often (but other plug-ins as well). I´m on the latest Catalina and this might also plays a part. It seems Logic in general gives the biggest trouble with P900. But what should i do, i just do not like the other DAWs.
So i would not buy and wait until things get solved of course.
I still use P900 in Logic 10.5 since i really love the new Logic features and it works fine mostly but crash here and there. Mostly if i stop the playhead.
Maybe i would have give up on P900 as well but i just love the sound and i cannot recreate my favorite presets with any other synths. So i will stay with it.
The good thing is it is not abandoned anymore and development is going on again.
So patience is the only thing now.

geronimo
KVRist
323 posts since 17 Oct, 2006 from Franche-Comté

Post Sun May 24, 2020 3:31 am

Don't bother: well you see, there are sequencers working with the AU format (Numerology Pro4, MOTU Digital Performer 10) that does not crash, especially with this P900.
MacPro 2 X 3.06 GHz, D.P. 9.51 & Kontakt 5.8 _ Gibson ES 295 & Explorer _ FilterBank2 Sherman & PolyEvolver Clavier CamelSpace & CamelPhatt _ Alchemy & Explorer Loïc Le Pape
http://www.loiclepapesteelguitars.com/s ... article151

Cinebient
KVRAF
4765 posts since 16 Nov, 2014

Post Sun May 24, 2020 8:22 am

Oh, the latest thread here about 303 sounds inspired me to do some more acid sounds with P900.
It is of course not the right tool for classic 303 but i like more the aggressive side if you saturate it and turn resonance to almost 100% :) Some might be a bit "overdriven". Sorry.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/p900-acid-sounds

Return to “Instruments”