Linear Fade Volume Plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys just wonder what other plugins offer a true linear volume fader, so far the only one i've found to do it properly is

Bob Perry's Crossfader
https://youtu.be/Q4WwKUP1kY8

Fade or crossfade? I think you mean crossfade because literally everything else does normal linear fades.

I believe there's Melda's free "MRatio" too and Blue Cat's free "Gain Suite".

I guess there's not many 3rd party options because most DAWs do it?

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:53 pm Fade or crossfade? I think you mean crossfade because literally everything else does normal linear fades.

I believe there's Melda's free "MRatio" too and Blue Cat's free "Gain Suite".

I guess there's not many 3rd party options because most DAWs do it?
No I actually mean fades

I use FL, they don't have true linear fades, only in their offline audio editor and one of their filter plugins, but the filter plugin causing abit of phase distortion during the fade

I tried MRatio, their linear option still doesn't produce a true linear fade?

I'll Blue Cat's a go!

Here's a pic to explain abit better: All automation done with a straight line
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by fifty1fifty on Sat May 23, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Cat's didn't work, not a true linear fade either

Try Purestgain by airwindows.

Ah, now I get it. This is a good experiment. I think the stock fader in FL Studio (and other DAWs) will do that when automated with a linear line because they give you more travel/precision around the top of the fader's travel. Or maybe I have it around the other way...

Try some free high-precision faders with extended range (-200db)

- DMG TrackControl
- Sonalksis FreeG

And Purestfade!
http://www.airwindows.com/purestfade/

Pics please :)

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 pm Ah, now I get it. This is a good experiment. I think the stock fader in FL Studio (and other DAWs) will do that when automated with a linear line because they give you more travel/precision around the top of the fader's travel. Or maybe I have it around the other way...

Try some free high-precision faders with extended range (-200db)

- DMG TrackControl
- Sonalksis FreeG

And Purestfade!
http://www.airwindows.com/purestfade/

Pics please :)
FL's fader is a log style curve.
Purestfade only goes down to -40db

I have all of those other plugs too and none of them do it!! Haha its mind boggling why a plugin developer has not created just some simple options in a gain plugin like curve type
- True Linear
- Log ect

The ONLY plugin i have found to truly do it was Bob Perry's Crossfader but the plugin has some glitches in of its parameter IntA & IntB, guessing some sort of initialize mode that does a hard take over of a link controller every time the fader is moved

I'll post the pix in a sec

All automation was done with a straight linear line from unity to their lowest value
Untitled New.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What do you intend to do with a truly linear volume fade?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I guess it's because human hearing is not linear and linear fades would sound rather "unnatural". Of course you could use it as an effect. It would be simple to code up a linear fader because you'd just have to multiply the signal with the current value of the fader, let's say between 0 and 1.

Please also note that the graphical representation of FL will only tell you if something is linear if the Y scale of the wave representation in FL is linear itself.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

v1o wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:02 am What do you intend to do with a truly linear volume fade?
Currently using bob perrys crossfader to change between multiple submix premasters with different levels of compression & a few other things

Bob Perry's Crossfader works well but it runs abit buggy so looking for a more stable plugin if available

BlitBit wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:19 am I guess it's because human hearing is not linear and linear fades would sound rather "unnatural". Of course you could use it as an effect. It would be simple to code up a linear fader because you'd just have to multiply the signal with the current value of the fader, let's say between 0 and 1.

Please also note that the graphical representation of FL will only tell you if something is linear if the Y scale of the wave representation in FL is linear itself.
Yeah like i said in my above post, its purpose for me is to achieve a equal gain crossfade.

Yeah graphical representation in FL is linear

I also done a null test and that further confirms that the linear line waveform is actually true (graph wise & signal wise)

weird, when i want "equal gain" crossfade in logic i pick "Equal power" (EqP) option, not "linear" (X)...

In FL Studio, why don't you add some 'Tension' (curved) between the points? Export different variations until you find the right tension point to approximate linearity of the fade.

Then you won't need a buggy 3rd party plugin and it'll cost $0 and 0% CPU.

Let me know what amount of Tension works best :)

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am In FL Studio, why don't you add some 'Tension' (curved) between the points? Export different variations until you find the right tension point to approximate linearity of the fade.

Then you won't need a buggy 3rd party plugin and it'll cost $0 and 0% CPU.

Let me know what amount of Tension works best :)
Haha yes of course i've already tried that, 15% gives probably the closest to a linear fade but its definitely not a true equal gain crossfade then. A simple null test confirms that.

Return to “Effects”