nm
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
https://soundcloud.com/biomechanoid

chk071
KVRAF
24487 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

Post Sun May 24, 2020 12:56 pm

I also feel like the osc, filter and envelope section should be more to the top. After all you probably spend the most time there, right?

Not sure how much can be done so late in development though...
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8263 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sun May 24, 2020 1:49 pm

In Defense of the current design, most things flow from left to right and from top to bottom, so the current placement makes sense because it's in the same order as the original (Master/Common > Modulation > Osc > Filter > Env) with oscs, filter and envelopes being the last sections to the right, so they are last sections in a top to bottom, left to right setup.

But when I look at it away from the hardware, just as a normal synth, I would also have expected it to either go Oscs/Filter/Env, then modulation, then Master section, OR Master, then oscs/filter/env, then modulation (as shown in the modified picture).
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

chk071
KVRAF
24487 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun May 24, 2020 3:31 pm

Thinking about it, I'm usually a strong advocate for "order as in signal path" as well. I guess it's just unusual to not start with the osc's, plus the fact that the controls are one below the other as opposed to aside of each other like on the hardware. I guess the layout is alright, as it's hardly possible in another way, if you want to stick to the signal path.
Plugins and a DAW. On a operating system. Which runs on a computer.

BONES
GRRRRRRR!
9988 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Mon May 25, 2020 2:18 am

That's the thing, you can't change it without taking it further away form the hardware. Someone has been in touch with Rich and we've been discussing it on the best forum but I think the consensus is to leave it as is. As someone explained about 40 pages ago, the reason it's the same shape as Legend is so that they don't have to do a completely separate UI for the RE version.
NOVAkILL 4.0 : Dell G7 (Core i7, 32GB RAM, RTX2060, Win10), UR44C, Cubase, DUNE, Thorn, TRK-01, Equator, Vacuum Pro, Arcsyn, Aparillo, Phase Plant, Pigments, Union, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Uno, Skulpt, Craft 2

gingeroil
Banned
5 posts since 21 May, 2020

Post Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 am

e-crooner wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:21 am
I wonder why they don't just move the modulation row down, the layout would look more familiar this way:
Maybe Richard can make alternative skin for those who prefer this layout. Its not a complex layout. Maybe its just 100 minutes of work to make the work.

I dont mind the layout that is intended myself. But i have to admit, at first it was strange to see that layout even its the same as in original synth, just instead of being laid out horizontaly, its now vertical.
Last edited by gingeroil on Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnX
KVRAF
7358 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 am

gingeroil wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 am
Maybe its just 10 minutes of work to make the work.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

zvenx
KVRAF
8044 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 am

I have never designed a skin, but I too was pretty sure it is nowhere near 10 minutes of work :).....
rsp
sound sculptist

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
8263 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:34 am

BONES wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 2:18 am
That's the thing, you can't change it without taking it further away form the hardware. Someone has been in touch with Rich and we've been discussing it on the best forum but I think the consensus is to leave it as is. As someone explained about 40 pages ago, the reason it's the same shape as Legend is so that they don't have to do a completely separate UI for the RE version.
Actually I think if the layout was Oscs/Fitler/Env at the top, modulation in the middle and common at the bottom, this could be seen as not that different from the hardware if you imagine it going from bottom to top. And it makes more sense in terms of typical VST design (the oscs being at the top I mean) so I think people would adapt to it easier.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

gingeroil
Banned

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 am

AnX wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:11 am
gingeroil wrote:
Maybe its just 10 minutes of work to make the work.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
10 minutes maybe is way overestimate but some synths and their skins module visual positions are not "glued" aka tied to the actual synth module layout (Hive 2 is a good example). So I really dont see why such hypotesis is funny. But Richard can only tell this.

Spencer Maddox
KVRian
752 posts since 19 Oct, 2017 from a state of anxiety

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:42 am

gingeroil wrote:
e-crooner wrote:
I wonder why they don't just move the modulation row down, the layout would look more familiar this way:
Maybe Richard can make alternative skin for those who prefer this layout. Its not a complex layout. Maybe its just 10 minutes of work to make the work.
Nooooooooooooooooooo :hihi:
In my limited coding experience the GUI is actually the LONGEST process.
Skinning synths is NOT a quick feat.
80% KVR
20% Making Music

gingeroil
Banned

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 am

I added one zero to 10 just to make more sense and not being laughed at :D

vurt
addled muppet weed
66843 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:44 am

gingeroil wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 am
I added one zero to 10 just to make more sense and not being laughed at :D
:lol:

gingeroil
Banned

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:47 am

Spencer Maddox wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:42 am
gingeroil wrote:
e-crooner wrote:
Maybe Richard can make alternative skin for those who prefer this layout. Its not a complex layout. Maybe its just 10 minutes of work to make the work.
Nooooooooooooooooooo :hihi:
In my limited coding experience the GUI is actually the LONGEST process.
Skinning synths is NOT a quick feat.
But i mean if its just switching module positions visualy (like someone made the sketch) and reconfiguring the configuration file (again, Hive 2 as example, or other U-he Synths) maybe its not that huge work.

AnX
KVRAF
7358 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon May 25, 2020 4:54 am

and maybe it's not that simple

even if it's a simple background with knob and button images and a cfg file, it's still a lot of work

all the text is embedded on the background , so you basically need to start from scratch
Last edited by AnX on Mon May 25, 2020 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”