Laptop CPU?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm looking for a new laptop which I would like to be able to use for music production and recording.
I'll most likely be using reaper for a DAW.

I generally know the overall spec I'm looking for but I seem to have the choice of these four CPUs and don't know what would be the best choice and if there would even be a noticeable difference between them?

Intel i7 10750H 2.6Ghz
Intel i7 9750H 2.6Ghz
AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.9Ghz
AMD Ryzen 7 3750H 2.3Ghz

obviously the 4800H has the fastest base speed and I see it turning up In a few laptops which appear pretty good value. But I'm sure there is more to it than that!

Any advice with this would be greatly appreciated.

all of that CPUs are "good" enough for music production. It's a endless discussion about which is better, Intel or AMD. I tried AMD twice and had problems, therefore I would choose:

Intel i7 10750H 2.6Ghz

clipnotic wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm all of that CPUs are "good" enough for music production. It's a endless discussion about which is better, Intel or AMD. I tried AMD twice and had problems, therefore I would choose:

Intel i7 10750H 2.6Ghz
I'm sure it could be like going down a never ending rabbit hole if you look into it too deep! nice to get some general opinions though so I can feel comfortable with my decision.

Thanks for the advice

I recently watched a Youtub vid where someone built a insanely performant laptop for Cubase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcv4kwFoW6A

Unfortunately in German, but, maybe you can watch it with subtitles. The costs really weren't that high, I think about 1.800 € or something.

clipnotic wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm all of that CPUs are "good" enough for music production. It's a endless discussion about which is better, Intel or AMD. I tried AMD twice and had problems, therefore I would choose:

Intel i7 10750H 2.6Ghz
Just be aware that there were issues with certain audio software crashing on Intel 10th gen processors, e.g.:

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... sor-en-us-

NI has since fixed the Reaktor crash but there still might be software out there that is not compatible. To this day I cannot start Melodyne in the 64bit version (although I am not 100% sure that this has to do with the 10th gen processor).
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:14 pm NI has since fixed the Reaktor crash but there still might be software out there that is not compatible. To this day I cannot start Melodyne in the 64bit version (although I am not 100% sure that this has to do with the 10th gen processor).
I don't use NI stuff anymore since years, because I had trouble with everything from them on Intel and AMD systems. And I had much more compatibility problems with AMD, DAW und plugin crashes, problems with my recording card, one of my master keys lost connection and so on. And if a company would create software, which is not Intel compatible and wouldn't fix that, their support team would have much work! :D

clipnotic wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm all of that CPUs are "good" enough for music production.
I second this, obviously.
Except 9th gen Intel and 3rd gen AMD, others are fairly new in the market. So my advice is to expect a bit to save some money.
Keep an eye on I7 8th gen. too, they're not outdated yet.

clipnotic wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm
mgw38 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:14 pm NI has since fixed the Reaktor crash but there still might be software out there that is not compatible. To this day I cannot start Melodyne in the 64bit version (although I am not 100% sure that this has to do with the 10th gen processor).
I don't use NI stuff anymore since years, because I had trouble with everything from them on Intel and AMD systems. And I had much more compatibility problems with AMD, DAW und plugin crashes, problems with my recording card, one of my master keys lost connection and so on. And if a company would create software, which is not Intel compatible and wouldn't fix that, their support team would have much work! :D
Just for the sake of completeness. Melodyne 5 no longer crashes on my 10th gen Intel CPU. They apparently fixed the problem in the version upgrade. I think that was the last software that had incompatibilities with the CPU on my system.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

I would suggest you to buy a pc rather than a laptop. It saves a lot of money.
Last edited by Vatta on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

^ I would say that building a PC would definitely reap the most benefit, both price and performance. And the AMD vs Intel debate is as old as the companies themselves, but the Ryzen series have proven to be wonderful bang for the buck choices, that show great performance. I would still recommend getting a PC with a Ryzen processor, but the mobile versions have proven to be just as great.
Take care :wink:

^^ like ones before me said, if you don’t really need the portable form factor — go for pc.

Otherwise I believe AMD blows intel out of the water atm? I’d go for the best specs you can afford. Try to get most RAM, cpu speed and a nice ssd. That would be the general advice

That’s my 2 cents

Rico82 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:41 pm AMD Ryzen 7 4800H 2.9Ghz
^^^ this one, without any doubt.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AM ... 3694vs3657

https://youtu.be/ZYqG31V4qtA
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”