Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just posted my studio shots.
Studio is a bit messy but it works for me.
Just added the mouse garages today.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7760&p=7777146#p7777146
Have some midi controllers.
I have the Huion 1060Pro+ Graphic tablet. Is there a way to use it as a midi controller or in any way for music creation?

Captain Chords, Captain Beat, Captain Play and Captain Deep by Mixed in Key have all just been updated to version 5:
https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/captain-chords/

Not really any major leaps in functionality but you can now edit the chord notes from within the plug-in as you would other MIDI in your DAW, drum fills have been added and you can host a VSTi from within the plug in without the need for internal routing in your DAW (a la 'MIDI Madness') You can record the rhythm you want to be used by the chords (a la 'Harvest') This is clearly one of the most competitive areas of software music production right now so I guess we as consumers are reaping the benefits of that. The weakest link in the suite's chain is Captain Deep, which as far as I can tell merely plays the root note of each chord throughout any progression. There has to be scope for movement within a chord or key centre in the bass you would think?

^^^
Love this Midi FX revival!

That some VSTi midi fx can host VSTi's is good but not as importnat as it used to be at least for me. I had Bidule and now have Unify which takes care of the VSTi midi fx routing.

I will wait to read the reviews on the Captain Midi plugins.
Meanwhile Scaler 2 is to be released on the 27th.

ExittheLemming wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:38 pm Captain Chords, Captain Beat, Captain Play and Captain Deep by Mixed in Key have all just been updated to version 5:

Not really any major leaps in functionality but you can now edit the chord notes from within the plug-in as you would other MIDI in your DAW, drum fills have been added and you can host a VSTi from within the plug in without the need for internal routing in your DAW (a la 'MIDI Madness') You can record the rhythm you want to be used by the chords (a la 'Harvest') This is clearly one of the most competitive areas of software music production right now so I guess we as consumers are reaping the benefits of that. The weakest link in the suite's chain is Captain Deep, which as far as I can tell merely plays the root note of each chord throughout any progression. There has to be scope for movement within a chord or key centre in the bass you would think?
Definitely true about the bass part; hard to imagine why they didn't bother to improve that. But from a single comment in the one demo I watched it seems now that the melody will follow the chords and not just the key, is that right?

David wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 am Ah, OK. I guess I knew knew this was coming… Looks like I'm gonna be an Architect fanboy after all :)
I bought it at the start went it became available. Haven't had the time to sit down with it. My idea was to replace Usine Hollyhock with it. Its still the plan as soon as I can make the time :)

Definitely true about the bass part; hard to imagine why they didn't bother to improve that. But from a single comment in the one demo I watched it seems now that the melody will follow the chords and not just the key, is that right?

——-
I wasn’t a super early adopter so not sure how it used to be, but you have a lot of options in the melody generator. You can link it to captain chords and have the melody follow chords. You can load it up ‘stand-alone’ and write a melody in a chosen key.

David wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:20 am
ExittheLemming wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:38 pm Captain Chords, Captain Beat, Captain Play and Captain Deep by Mixed in Key have all just been updated to version 5:

Yes, the pool of notes available for the melody is dictated by the underlying chord and you can weight whether certain chord and/or scale tones are chosen. I tested this with a simple chord progression that ended with F Maj to D Major and with the scale set still at C major, 'out of scale' notes (C# and F#) were chosen over the D Maj chord. To be honest I don't even bother with Captain Deep (Captain Shallow?) and use Captain Melody pitched down for a bass-line that has some movement in it. I write my chords on guitar and seldom know the correct names for these so I'd like to be able to just play them into the software via a MIDI keyboard and let it work out the name for me. Can't seem to figure out a way to do this just yet although you can record the rhythm you want the chords to follow

^^^
Thanks, very good news:)

A new video on the Toybox Piano Roll.
It's still on sale at -20%
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V82mZVJE8VE

^^^That is surely one of the most amazing MIDI devices ever; REALLY love it.

^^^
Looks a bit complicated.
Still wondering if Architect will do some of what the Piano Roll does.

David, Check out my post on top of page.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:27 pm ^^^
Looks a bit complicated.

Well, YEAH it's complicated—that's what I love about it:) Just like Unify's MIDIBox and JitterBox are complicated, but nowhere NEAR as complicated as Architect! And almost all of that complexity is also not even about MIDI function; it's about coding and logic, so I can't even understand what it's for in most cases.

But the reason I bought it is because even in the evaluation version, it's clear that you CAN do at least some of the stuff that ToyBox can do, without any presets. Modulating the playback of the already-there mono and poly sequencers is built right in as part of the seq properties. So you can modulate the speed and direction of the playhead, and the key and transposition of the note events, lots of other things. But you can't yet write to the seqs in any automated or algorithmic way, or even paste into them, or add jitter, or modulate the relative note positions, and so on.

Rest assured that much more is coming, and I'm making it my main purpose in life to pester Colin constantly about things it needs to allow. See this eg. thread, the main focus of which is that architect NEEDS to host other MIDI FX:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=546249

Yes, I did check that post, if you mean the one with studio shots; looks like a grand lair, and reminds me of my own long-gone days when all I had was hardware, and loved it, even though it required also a large room all to itself, and I never figured out how to keep cables from writhing together into impossible gordian knots:)

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:27 pm ^^^
Looks a bit complicated.

When this Piano Roll is too complicated for you, you should definitely not start with Loomer Architect. Just saying.

^^^
I've been thinking the same thing.
Get it and spend the time to learn it?
What I usually do is work with presets and later learn how to use it that is if I like what I hear.
The problem here is that no presets are released.
I will likely get it and hope for the best mostly because I like working with midi.

^^^
I think there's still plenty of time before the sale price goes away—and I'd guess some presets will be available before then, too.

Return to “Effects”