First hardware synth advice (< $1000): Argon8 vs DeepMind 6 vs Wavestate

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have started saving for my first hardware synth and while I don't know when I will eventually be able to buy it (monitor speakers need replacement soon), I thought I will gather some opinions about the following synthesizers that look good to me and potentially affordable. Thanks to lfm for the suggestions, I have narrowed down to the following 3 choices.

Ideal price range: $500 to $700

However, please feel free to share any other models under $1000. I have not researched much, so I am not fully aware of all the options. I have come across some other models in my search though, just listed the best on first impression. It can be analog/digital/hybrid/wavetable. As long as it can produce a good range of sounds, I am fine. I am mainly into modern alternative/pop/electronic music.

1. Modal Electronics ARGON8 : Probably the best layout I have seen so far. Sturdy build. Looks and sounds awesome. Relatively easy to use and I love wavetable synthesis.

2. Behringer DeepMind 6: Great sounding analog synth on a budget.

3. Korg Wavestate: Sounds amazing, but looks complex to program.

Based on price, sound and usability, I am leaning towards ARGON8. Since I have no prior experience with hardware synths, this looks like a safe bet.

Could you please help me with any suggestions? Is anyone using any of the above synths?
If you can share your experience in brief (pros and cons), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

There's a few posts and thread already involving the list.
I'm still trying to decide Roland JD xa, Wavestate, deepmind or other.
The aragon has had a few issues from memory check gearslutz if I recall correct. Peraianlly not digging the sound but again need to demo myself.
Wavestation I need to demo as I understand the same. Great synth, complex programming and could do with GUi.
Deepmind I've read nothing but good things. However I come from the days of Behringer not so appealing quality contras. So again need to demo post lock down.
Sorry realise after 3 paragraphs I'm not really contributing a lot bu my thoughts.
Demo demo demo. I've had several impulsive regrets including the AK from Elektron as purchases I should have demoed. Lol
Think in a lock down mid life crisis..
Hope you find what ur looking for...

Argon8 just got a nice update (V2)

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020/ ... equencing/

If you like the sound of wavetable that may be the way to go.

Personally I think VSTs do a good job with WT (Rapid, Serum, Massive X etc) and I only have hardware 'analog' synths as getting a smooth analog sound eats a lot of CPU. I have a DM12 and highly recommend it, lots of hands on 'what you see is what you get' controls (after all, this is what hardware is about. If you are looking at a small screen and menu diving you may as well be on a laptop!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Why not a DeepMind-12? It's within your budget.

I would get a hydrasynth if it were me. Might be able to get 10% off at Perfect Circuit
if you ask, that would put the desktop model at about $720.

...Not helping I know, sry.

I'm looking at the korg minilouge xd and there is a vst editor for it too 3 oscillators and the last one is really cool you can load third party presets which makes this really a good synth. Also you can get a arturia microfreak which is great value you can get both for 900e

The main issue with these kind of threads is that every synth has a different range of tones that may or may not fit to your music. Do you want your synth to sound good, or to sound good and useful? These are two different criterias, first for fun, second for production.
The best thing you can do is to listen to presets on youtube. If you hear sounds you want to hear in your music, that's your synth, no need to ask anyone what they think, because the choice is obvious.

The Korg is the most likely to offer something different from current in vogue VSTs, so not easily replicated. That would be the advantage for me.

You need to state what genre of music you're into, otherwise it's like throwing tomatoes at birds.
<List your stupid gear here>

ASM Hydra Synth!!!

Had the desktop for a week now - It's addictive I'll be getting the KB version next I like it that much. Cost me £799.00 if I were you I'd be hanging on and saving for one. The sound on this thing is treeeeemendous.

PS

Built like a tank too.. no plastic fascia.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I appreciate each one of them. :)
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Tue May 26, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:57 am Why not a DeepMind-12? It's within your budget.
The problem is I am not in EU/UK/US. Everything in my country is imported and is just so expensive. :( I have put the price range considering most people here are from these countries.

For example, DeepMind 12 looks affordable in USD. But actually, it is like $1200+ if I convert from the local selling price to USD.

Similarly, DeepMind 6 is a also a bit on the expensive side.

egbert101 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 1:08 pm You need to state what genre of music you're into, otherwise it's like throwing tomatoes at birds.
I have already mentioned it in my original post.

roman.i wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:52 am The main issue with these kind of threads is that every synth has a different range of tones that may or may not fit to your music. Do you want your synth to sound good, or to sound good and useful? These are two different criterias, first for fun, second for production.
The best thing you can do is to listen to presets on youtube. If you hear sounds you want to hear in your music, that's your synth, no need to ask anyone what they think, because the choice is obvious.
I agree. The only reason to post here is to help draw the conclusion by getting some justification from people on the model you think you like the most. :)

In the meantime, I am indeed scanning through YouTube for all the synths in this price range to hear how they sound to me and whether they would fit my music.

ASM Hydrasynth is way too expensive here :(, so if I choose a wavetable one, it would have to be ARGON8.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Wed May 27, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”