waveTracing SP950 effect plugin: SP1200 & S950 combination

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SP950

mladi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 pm What's the difference to this 2 years old plugin?

https://www.inphonik.com/products/rx950 ... converter/

it's 14,25 € btw..
This emulates the speed up (78 rpm in vinyl) and pitch down you had to do with the original sp1200 in order to get more sample time with the limited memory workflow so you get grittier textures, the rx is just an emulation of the preamp and AD converter.

In theory you should get similar results if you use the wavetracing one with out any speed change, but I'm no expert in any of these machines so take it with a grain o salt.

mladi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 pm What's the difference to this 2 years old plugin?

it's 14,25 € btw..
Same kind of LP filter, but different type of aliasing. The aliasing of the SP950 (E-mu SP12/1200) is more 'ringy' (as in ring modulation). And when you dial back the bandwidth the RX950 (Akai S950) sounds more and more filtered. There is no way to disable the anti-aliasing filter.

Ah okay so the scope of the two plugins is different enough i think. Thanks for the clarifications guys!
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

Well, if its the aliasing you're looking for, doesn't look too shabby. (regarding SP950)
Take care :wink:

Hello, I am the author of this plugin.
If you have specific questions, feedback or suggestions I would me more than willing to hear them out :)

You will find more info on the emulation intends and process here: https://wavetracing.com/technologies/sp_engine

Thomas
Last edited by waveTracing on Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:53 pmYes that's painfully obvious but the question is why do they like such a horrid sound ?

The desire to relive the limitations of the past baffles me....... :shrug:
Hello Teksonik,

Music is a subjective matter ;)

It could be said that a harpsichord sounds horrid and limited compared to a piano, but this is just a different instrument. What is interesting is that the limitation (lets call it specificity) of an instrument has an influence on the way music is written for it.

Same goes for the SP1200 in a certain (and more humble) way: it has become more than a simple sampler because of the way it was (or had to be) used, and the enormous impact it had on hip hop music production of that era. It is a signature sound, immediately identifiable, almost like a real musical instrument. That is what I find fascinating about this device, and why I chose to tackle the task of emulating its sound.

Hi there

SP950 has been updated to version 1.1.0
Existing users should have received a notification email with a download link.

Here is the change log:

Code: Select all

v1.1.0 2020-06-23
-----------------
  New features:
    - in/out gain knobs with optional link for constant total gain
    - wet/dry knob, alongside the bypass button
  Adjustments:
    - latency compensation with constant delay: can now be used for layering,
      as a send effect, or with wet/dry balance
    - frequency response modification, now around 1dB hotter under 100Hz
      compared to previous versions
    - pop-free bypass and much lower pop on stereo/mono selection
    - mouse wheel for rapid stereo/mono selection
  Bug corrections:
    - latency report
:)

it's 14,25 € btw..
That only emulates the sample rate and filter of the Akai S950, this also has an S950 filter but without the sample rate of the S950.
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

I owned an original SP1200 in the past as I am a Hip Hop head and can say that the way the unit processed drums and made them sound was just unique - I can't count the amount of times I sampled some drums "until I find something better" and just left the 1st samples in as once the SP1200 got hold of them they just got a "thump" to them. I loved working within the 10 second sample time limit and having to get creative chopping tracks up to create something new from an old track.

Don't do much music making these days as I concentrate on Mixing & Mastering but may have to take a trip down memory lane and try this plugin out.

davestretch wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:14 am I owned an original SP1200 in the past as I am a Hip Hop head and can say that the way the unit processed drums and made them sound was just unique - I can't count the amount of times I sampled some drums "until I find something better" and just left the 1st samples in as once the SP1200 got hold of them they just got a "thump" to them. I loved working within the 10 second sample time limit and having to get creative chopping tracks up to create something new from an old track.

Don't do much music making these days as I concentrate on Mixing & Mastering but may have to take a trip down memory lane and try this plugin out.
It's a great little plugin. Useful for mixing, too, at least in certain genres.

I just noticed I did not post an update notice for the 1.2.0 version here, sorry about that :?
So here goes. Existing users can get this version through their original download link, or using the update email they should have received in the few days following the update.

changelog:

v1.2.0 2021-12-30
-----------------
  Compatibility:
    - Native Apple Silicon support (arm64/M1)
    - Minimum MacOS version requirement bumped from 10.7 to 10.9
  New features:
    - UI zooming/resizing options
    - Mid/Side and L/R processing options
  Adjustments:
    - Various UI design tweaks
    - Better HiDPI/Retina Handling

A demo version would be cool...

I'm working on it :)

Version 1.3.0 is out.
https://wavetracing.com/products/sp950

v1.3.0 2022-06-25
-----------------
  Adjustments:
    - reduced CPU usage (around -20% with 44.1/48kHz sample rate)
    - reduced noise when manipulating the filter
    - improved GUI responsiveness on MacOS with Retina displays
    - middle-click sets sliders to default value, similarly to double-click
    - gain linking is not disabled anymore when adjusting output gain
    - miscellaneous UI adjustments
  New features:
    - Load/save configuration from/to clipboard in menu
  Bug Corrections:
    - solved issues with sample rates at and above 176.4kHz (eg when using
      Reaper's new oversampling feature)
    - plugin was bypassed and frozen when using FL's Randomize feature

Return to “Effects”