Best for 303: Serum? Ana2? Pigments2?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

It does inspire though and modding it is just turning a screw. I don't bother. I has the Acid Soul. And a distortion which the original didn't have. Nor does ABL. Pretty essential.

If you count the extra distortion plugin you have to add, the TD-3 is the same price as ABL.

Stefken wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:30 pm Nor does ABL.
Where did you pick this false info?

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:18 pm
Digivolt wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:02 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 pm The latest update 3.2.2 is as close as it gets
Agreed ABL is the best software emulation of the 303 but it's £93, you can get Behringer hardware clone for just 30% more so doesn't make sense at least to me to spend £93 on software but not be willing to spend the extra £30 to get actual hardware that does an even better job at coming close to the original unit
The behringer does not come closer to the original ( at least not without modding ) .
But it does, comes a lot closer than ABL does as well

Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:03 pm
Err do you see a distortion on it?

I am not going to argue since these are just opninions.
Ever played a real 303 and compared , and not just some you tube comparisons ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Stefken wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:03 pm
Err do you see a distortion on it?
Abl 3 ( pre 3.2.2) does have distortion , but these are a hidden parameters that is only accesible from your host , saturate ,diode ,clip , rectify , fold
I told mike these parameters are still accessible from within the host .
Now it seems that in the latest update 3.2.2 the parameters are still there but are now NON functional ( I never used them anyway ) , and I kinda feel responsible for that :lol:
If you now untick ímproved modulation ' the sine shaper is still there ..but verry subtle
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Tue May 26, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging

I win 😂

No you didn't , because people that stil have abl 3.0 and not 3.2.2 still have all the dist. modes
You lose :)
Eyeball exchanging

If you consider getting the special "you can never update again" package winning , that is :) .

On the TD-3 you also have these things, called knobs and switches.
You can operate them to tweak the distortion and they always work.

You lose. 8) :wink:

They're removed? Noooo!!

Though I'd pick td-3 rather than vst.

Trancit wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 am
clipnotic wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:08 pm they made that pluck sound with the JP8000, that's a hardware synth, but the JP6k is a good VST clone! :D
They didn´t... and they couldn´t as far as they weren´t time traveller!!!

Insomnia was released in 1995 while the JP-8000 came in 1997!!!

They themselves stated in several interviews that this sound came from a JD990 ... it was nothing than the factory preset "Pizzicato Strings" (or only "Pizzicato" I don´t know) with a doubled octave played with lots of reverb...

In later Roland synths like JV-1080/2080 it was then the preset "Bass Pizz" or something similar...

Quote from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_JD-990 :
The JD-990 has been used by artists such as Klaus Schulze,[4] Paul Shaffer,[5] Steve Duda,[6] Vangelis, The Prodigy, Apollo 440, ATB, and Mirwais.[3] Apollo 440 used the JD-990 for atmospheric sounds on the track "The Machine in the Ghost", on the album Gettin' High on Your Own Supply.[7] On the Faithless song "Insomnia", the pizzicato hook is from a JD-990, with added reverb.[8]
I never heard a convincing synthesized replication of this sound...(other than samples...)
Calm down, you're right! I mistook it and shame on me, I had a JD990 here ... :D

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:14 pm Ever played a real 303 and compared , and not just some you tube comparisons ?
It's close enough to a 303, yes I've used one, I'm not saying they're identical, they're not but they're not that far apart that a TD-3 isn't worth getting over software if you want something that comes close to the original

To each their own I guess .
I personally will never support behringer , no matter how cheap/good it sounds ..but that's a different discussion not suited for this forum .
Din Sync Re 303 on the other hand :tu:
Eyeball exchanging

Because of this thread, I played the last days around with ABL2, ABL3, Phoscyon, Rapid, Dune3 and Sylenth. And the worst for me is ABL3 and the reason is, that ABL3 is a typical "purists" plugin. Yes, it covers the 303 good, the setup page is cool for fine adjustments and easy sequencer, but it's boring to work with it, because you have to use additional plugins, if you want to get the same sounds like in the old Acid classics or Psytrance stuff and so on. With all other plugins above it only takes minutes to get nice working and screaming sequences. Not all of them sound like an original 303, but in the old Acid classics for example were other synths used, too. But that ABL3 plugin sounds like a castrated ABL2 plugin. And that's the reason, I prefer Phoscyon, because that plugin can sound like a boring 303 and like a great Acid machine, too! So Audiorealism should listen to all the great old ACID and 303 tracks and then he should bring an ABL4 Acid machine!

Now, the shitstorm can begin! :D

Return to “Instruments”