Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Let's talk about this rack extension business. Obviously Richard can do whatever he wants. However, being limited by Reason's rack extension space constraints forces him to NOT do whatever he wants. So is it really worth it, Richard? This is what you said on Reasontalk when speaking about the possibility of an OB-Xa RE:

Synapse Audio wrote:
Good question, we haven't really decided yet. We designed the UI such that we can squeeze it into the Reason rack, we also use the same framework as for The Legend. So technically it is possible, the question is if it's worth it.

On the one hand the native RE integration is better in the rack (& we can add CV inputs), but on the other hand, the lack of native AVX support will cause a CPU penalty, and there may be some minor features not portable.

So most likely we'll start with VST/AU, then take it from there and see what happens.

Richard
p.s. Yes it is the OB-XA :)

It's too late to re-do Obsession's GUI, but I really hope you don't plan to "squeeze" your next VST synth into a rack extension's very limited space.

I bet he does actually, if it's a certain one he mentioned before

AnX wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:42 pm its not an exact replica, and Rich can do what he likes, it's his business, not mine or yours :wink:
Of course. But, what's equally true is that we're all allowed to offer opinions about virtual instruments on a forum designed for people to offer opinions on virtual instruments. :wink:

davidvilla wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:59 pm It's too late to re-do Obsession's GUI, but I really hope you don't plan to "squeeze" your next VST synth into a rack extension's very limited space.
I'm pretty sure you and I would ultimately agree that it's about doing what works best for the product. If a GUI works well within that same square shape that also happens to work well for Reason Racks, then of course, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The Legend, for example, fits very nicely into that paradigm. Maybe the next product will be more like The Legend, and also work well with that that shape where nothing feels crammed or out of place.

But if Richard is making design compromises for the VST GUI just for the sake of maybe eventually making RE's, then yes, I agree entirely. I'd prefer he not go that route.

With such simple synths I don't get the impression that the RE format is much of a problem in terms of size. The current GUI is not exactly crowded. He could easily have included a couple more controls if he had wanted to.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 pm

I'm pretty sure you and I would ultimately agree that it's about doing what works best for the product. If a GUI works well within that same square shape that also happens to work well for Reason Racks, then of course, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The Legend, for example, fits very nicely into that paradigm. Maybe the next product will be more like The Legend, and also work well with that that shape where nothing feels crammed or out of place.
Yes, agreed.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 pm But if Richard is making design compromises for the VST GUI just for the sake of maybe eventually making RE's, then yes, I agree entirely. I'd prefer he not go that route.
There's stuff on the back side of Obsession and that's because of the RE's lack of frontal space. So would he have done it this way if REs were out of the picture from the beginning? I'm going to guess no. I mean, it's not horrible, and definitely not a purchase deterrent, but I would just prefer he breaks away from this "it has to squeeze into a RE" design philosophy. Can you imagine if Dune 4 shared the same type of constrained boxy GUI, and half of its parameters were on the back?
Last edited by davidvilla on Tue May 26, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just want to add one more thing about REs - keep in mind that Reason Studios get a 30% cut of your rack extension sale. THIRTY PERCENT. :o

Still worth it??

Funny that you think that devs are not aware of that, especially when you consider that they already released loads of RE's, like Synapse. :)

Imagine you get a record deal with a big company. Guess what, they also take their fair share of your sales. Just like them, Propellerhead offers the infratructure and the tech for the plugin format. And developers decide for themselves that it's a worthy platform when they develop RE's. Nobody is forced to do anything. It's a business decision.

I wouldn't be surprised if those 30% are complete bollocks though. Just like with the Steam gaming store, which was always said to take 30% as well, until they stated that it's a matter of price negotiation how much they take. Don't believe everything you read.

davidvilla wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 pm Just want to add one more thing about REs - keep in mind that Reason Studios get a 30% cut of your rack extension sale. THIRTY PERCENT. :o

Still worth it??
clearly, otherwise he wouldn't do it

davidvilla wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:29 pm Can you imagine if Dune 4 shared the same type of constrained boxy GUI, and half of its parameters were on the back?
wouldn't work, too many tabs pages, synths need to be a single page, a la Antidote

The only thing I don't love about those sounds is that the notes get cut off due to the limited polyphony. :)

Yep, the apocalypse is coming. I agree 100%.

Damn, this is f**king scary shit.

If you think it's bad now wait until the Demo drops. The Vultures are circling above waiting to pick it apart like road kill. :lol:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:19 pm If you think it's bad now wait until the Demo drops. The Vultures are circling above waiting to pick it apart like road kill. :lol:
LMAO. If it wasn't true it wouldn't be so funny. Personally, I would be stunned if this thing wasn't incredible if The Legend is any indication.

Return to “Instruments”