Most "famous" romplers? Nexus and...?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Erisian wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:27 pm
Wow, a synth that runs on a steam engine! Isn't technology wonderful?
Therefore it's a "steamler" and NOT a rompler! :D

Ploki wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 pm
SamDi wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:42 pm
clipnotic wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:39 pm from the Omnisphere FAQ: :D

Hmmm...Is Omnisphere a "real" synthesizer or just a "rompler"?
Omnisphere is no rompler! It is a powerhouse synthesizer that competes with the finest hardware and software synths at any level. Omnisphere indeed has "real" DSP oscillators that allow Hard Sync, FM PWM, Waveshaping and much more. Its STEAM Engine• also excels at high definition sample streaming - the realtime manipulation features like Granular Synthesis, Harmonia, Timbre Shifting and Polyphonic Ring Modulation can also be applied to the sample oscillators.

https://www.spectrasonics.net/products/ ... re-faq.php
Ehm, I forgot :D
it's easy to forget since it started out as a rompler
And I still think of it as rompler, even that I know that it should be a synth. Otherwise there is no plausible reason why spectrasonics don’t give us a demo version with limited factory content to provide a way to explore at least its synth possibilities, other than a lack of confidence that it could hold up against the competition....

To topic: xpand! by air seems overlooked, as well as SynthMaster player.

Cheers

Ploki wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:49 pm they certainly used to market it heavily as a rompler.
and still do. 16000 new presets
Honestly the main reason I have Omnisphere is the preset library. If I want to create an original sound give me Serum, Pigments, Phase Plant any day.

It's a shame that the word "Rompler" has gotten such a negative connotation. They are capable of making sounds that simple Saw/Square/Tri synths, Wavetable, FM, and Additive synths can only dream of making. 8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Romplers are great, many of the old hardware romplers are still in use. Some days ago, I bought the Triton VST and I like it as much as the hardware I had many years ago. But is a workstation a rompler, too? :D

I think lines have blurred over time, but imo any vst that takes over a gig on your hard drive (of factory content) is part rompler. I think any vst with a res filter is part synth. Even avenger and pigments is part rompler now (factory content)

clipnotic wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:28 pm Romplers are great, many of the old hardware romplers are still in use. Some days ago, I bought the Triton VST and I like it as much as the hardware I had many years ago. But is a workstation a rompler, too? :D
I still have four rackmount hardware Romplers from back in the day but I rarely if ever power them up these days. That has more to do with hardware being a pain in the arse than a dislike of the synths themselves.

I worked in the keyboard department of a music store back when Romplers started coming out by the boatload but we didn't call them Romplers we called them synthesizers because they're....synthesizers. :hihi:

The Korg Triton plugin is top of my wish list right now. It really brings back a lot of fond memories. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

MetaMorph534 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm Omnisphere is definitely part rompler, i.e. take a sample, warp it, make it a playable instrument, throw some effects on it etc. Omnisphere also includes an INCREDIBLE synth engine, behind a very poor interface imho, that makes 32 part sounds.
Have to strongly disagree. Omnisphere UI is pretty good. It's logical and the behaviour is predictable. And proper browser.

Actually, it's really nice looking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Inhg96i40
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, TAL, Reaper for Rock & Synthwave pleasures; Viper and FL Studio for guilty EDM pleasures

Dencheg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:07 am
MetaMorph534 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:47 pm Omnisphere is definitely part rompler, i.e. take a sample, warp it, make it a playable instrument, throw some effects on it etc. Omnisphere also includes an INCREDIBLE synth engine, behind a very poor interface imho, that makes 32 part sounds.
Have to strongly disagree. Omnisphere UI is pretty good. It's logical and the behaviour is predictable. And proper browser.

Actually, it's really nice looking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Inhg96i40
you missed the point. it's a poor interface for synthesis. great for preset surfing.
the video you posted absolutely proves his point.

emphasis on 16000 presets and not synthesis workflows is why omnisphere gets chucked into the rompler bin

Teksonik wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:22 am
I still have four rackmount hardware Romplers from back in the day but I rarely if ever power them up these days. That has more to do with hardware being a pain in the arse than a dislike of the synths themselves.

I worked in the keyboard department of a music store back when Romplers started coming out by the boatload but we didn't call them Romplers we called them synthesizers because they're....synthesizers. :hihi:

The Korg Triton plugin is top of my wish list right now. It really brings back a lot of fond memories. :tu:
I had the Korg Trinity V3 with Z1 board, Korg Triton, Korg M3 and the JD-990 and Korg Trinity rack. For the JD-990 is an editor available and it was halfway "good" programmable on the rack, too. But the Korg Trinity rack was horrible and I forgot it some years in a carton on the balkony ... :D

Hurray! It's the bi-annual Omni-is/was-a-rompler thread!

It's never been true. There's no evidence for it, it's false. It's the homeopathy, the antivaxxer, the climate change deniar, truther, birther, fake-moon-landing grassy-knoll of KVR.

It will never die. If there is a KVR in 2099, there will still be people talking about a turn of the century Rompler called Omnisphere.

Two logical fallacies that keep propping up, in fun food debunking:

It has 10 trillion presets = if you own a recipe book, you can't cook

It has a large sample library = if you eat meat, you can't also eat vegetables

Carry on everyone, I know with 100% certainty you will. And if you look at those photos on the moon, the shadows go in different directions, right?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

:)

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:47 am
Hurray! It's the bi-annual Omni-is/was-a-rompler thread!
:lol:
noiseboyuk wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:47 am
Two logical fallacies that keep propping up, in fun food debunking:

It has 10 trillion presets = if you own a recipe book, you can't cook

It has a large sample library = if you eat meat, you can't also eat vegetables
These are shit analogies
:?
Nexus also technically has a synth engine. It's just hidden, and open only to pack-makers...

Omnisphere is obviously not as restrictive, but it's not marketed for its engine nearly as aggressively as it's marketed for its presets. Also, the interface isn't really as geared and as optimised for synthesis as plenty of other synths are.

On the scale of "rompler ----------- synth station" if maize sampler based software factories are 1, Nexus is 3, and if i.e. Falcon (or zebra) is 10, it's a solid 6. Alchemy is a 7.

Terrific! Thanks for proving my points so speedily, Ploki.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:17 am Terrific! Thanks for proving my points so speedily, Ploki.
god damn it

Return to “Instruments”