SampleSumo SaltyGrain 1.0 is out ! (aka KTGrain 2.0)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BeeDog wrote: Sounds good! Just one question though, what's your plan for the plug-in, will updates/upgrades be more of a regular occurrence now or will they be sporadical?
The plan is to keep following-up on bug reports and issues (as I've always done), but try to release updates with fixes sooner than in the past years.
As for upgrades (which I understand as "new features"): the plugin works well feature-wise as it is now, but perhaps a few of the many on the ideas list? Making a release-worthy AAX version has been high on my to-do list for a long time as well.

KoenTanghe wrote: The plan is to keep following-up on bug reports and issues (as I've always done), but try to release updates with fixes sooner than in the past years.
As for upgrades (which I understand as "new features"): the plugin works well feature-wise as it is now, but perhaps a few of the many on the ideas list? Making a release-worthy AAX version has been high on my to-do list for a long time as well.
I agree that SaltyGrain generally works very well and already has pretty much all the settings it needs to accomplish its granulation. But still, I think there are a few little tricks that could be added just to make it a little bit more powerful and better. Like a reverse grains button and having the audio frozen in the Freeze buffer to save within the DAW session (like GRM Tools Freeze for example) Cause right now the audio stored in the Freeze buffer is lost forever as soon as you close the session, no other choice than bounce the SaltyGrain frozen sound on an audio track to not lose anything.

I'm not counting on it at all since it's already out since several years and it never had anything new added, but still I hope you'll continue to push and improve it.

Thanks for your thoughts, Neon Breath. Both suggestions are on the ideas list!
When I look at the (not that many) feature requests I've received, having an AAX version so it can work in current ProTools versions ranks about 10x above any other request, and since RTAS is now retired, I think that will receive highest priority now. Storing the buffer and adding a per-grain filter with randomizable cutoff / resonance is something I would like to see personally, as are many other things...

KoenTanghe wrote: ...and adding a per-grain filter with randomizable cutoff / resonance is something I would like to see personally, as are many other things...
:hyper: :pray:

Got this in the charity auction, will explore...

Experimenting with SaltyGrain live on video, processing a simple octave tremolo played on my strum stick. Breeze 2 provides some space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PF-FfEMj8A

Sampleconstruct wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 pm Got this in the charity auction, will explore...
Me too... :phones:

Guys, never too late to join the party! :party:

SaltyGrain, not the newest super shinny cutting edge tool but still very fun and reliable to use when it comes to whole grains. What do you guys think?

If SampleSumo was still working on it and updating it though... Too bad, feels like a missed opportunity to have something even better if features & updates were added. But still a great granulator.

SampleSumo is still working on it and updating it:

SaltyGrain was updated to v. 1.1.3 + the new AAX Native version (Windows and Mac) was added as well (available at no additional cost): https://www.kvraudio.com/news/samplesum ... ions-43813

KoenTanghe wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:51 am SampleSumo is still working on it and updating it:

SaltyGrain was updated to v. 1.1.3 + the new AAX Native version (Windows and Mac) was added as well (available at no additional cost): https://www.kvraudio.com/news/samplesum ... ions-43813
by KoenTanghe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:20 pm
adding a per-grain filter with randomizable cutoff / resonance is something I would like to see personally, as are many other thing..

A post you made 8 months ago. How does that go? Going somewhere with something interesting? Not rushing nor pushing, but more curious since you posted yourself you wanted to have it implemented.

-30% discount until 5th of June!

https://www.samplesumo.com/product/saltygrain

:clap:

I wasn't aware of this plugin, but it's right up my alley so I'm gonna test it over the weekend! :phones:

EDIT: oh, my 5k post on KvR :party:
5k.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I suggest checking GrainSpace from Audiority, for similar granular real-time processing.

It's more modern, much easier on the eyes GUI wise, has much more audio possibilities and more importantly here, it's updated & maintained. Audiority listens to they customers with regular updates, while Sample Sumo so far never added anything news since years and years & promised updates without seeing any. Not a bad plugin per say, it's good for what it does but there are better and cooler alternatives imo.

This is still my goto granular plug-in. The only things I would like to see are faster I/O speeds and smaller grains for really strange sounds. Otherwise this is a great device and with all the mileage I’ve gotten out of it over the past many many years, I had no problem paying for it.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I have Grainspace and MGranularMB, but I'm looking at Saltgrain and wondering if it takes me anywhere else. Its controls are interesting. Instead of knobs it has upper and lower range sliders for each parameter. I will check it out.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Weirdly, on the pan sliders, the left one shifts pan to the right; and vice versa. I hate the way the knobs function--can't click and hold and move mouse up and down--rather have to swing the knob around. But, I can quite accurately get them to the desired setting to one-hundredths without having to hold shift or anything (shift does nothing to slow knob turn speed).

Man, I dig these sliders. You can lock a range and then slide it up and down. I haven't seen this before in a plugin (feel free to inform me).

OK, now the demo noise has come in, but it doesn't go off and come on periodically--it just stays on. Horrible demo time. What, has it been ten minutes? I can still play with it--but with white noise constantly on--and some beep to boot. Blech.

No preset window/tab in the interface. In Live, it shows up in the device container thing's pull-down. I dislike this very much. Live has no quick scroll to flip through them (anyone know of a shortcut for this?).

Demo noise has shut down my investigation. Sounds did not seem like something I couldn't make with my other granular effects.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Return to “Effects”