ipad is where the real is.

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cinebient wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:02 pm But if this would be true it would be a good step for me....
https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech-an ... o-ipad-pro
I saw this in a few forums and many people says the guy is mostly spot on (i have no clue where he is, lol).
This would be great as I've been holding off on buying Cubasis 3 or Auria Pro. I don't want to have a different workflow than what I'm used to. Having Logic on both systems would be amazing.

I wasn’t impressed with Cubasis 2 (bugs and the bundled sounds are dreadful, probably because they sell sound packs as IAPs). Cubasis 3 gets lower ratings, and the low reviews are mostly because of bugs.

Dasheesh wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:04 amipad instruments are as fresh and addictive as i remember them. i was surprised to learn i could just plug the thing into my DAW over usb now. i haven't turned my laptop instruments on in more then a week.
How is it any different to using a standalone synth on a proper computer?
Forgotten wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:53 amFor the money you could spend on a single Mac/Windows plugin, you can buy 10 on th iPad
I bet there are more free VSTi than there are free iPad instruments, which makes your point rather moot. i.e. You can spend 10 times more on a VSTi if you want to but you don't have to.

Anyway, I run Cubase and Orion on my $200 Surface Pro 2, I don't need to spend a penny on special, different, cut-down things that aren't much use on their own. iPads are children's toys.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

my child's toy sure works wonders as a remote control surface for Studio One and Logic... not to mention a second monitor for my new mac. lol
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

i agree i wasn't that impressed with Cubasis 2 but the update was free and better than nothing. as for Cubasis 3 i certainly did not see enough added or enough improvement to constitute the asking price of the upgrade. i mainly use it for a catch all type recorder on the tail end of AUM :) cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

MadDogE134 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:54 ammy child's toy sure works wonders as a remote control surface for Studio One and Logic... not to mention a second monitor for my new mac. lol
You know it would be a lot cheaper to buy an actual second monitor, right? But you'll notice that in both those scenarios, it's a peripheral device that still requires a proper computer to be useful. I use a $50 mouse to control Cubase and Orion, or a $15 stylus on the Surface sometimes. And if I want a second monitor, I use my big screen TV, not some tiny screen that's worse than the laptop's own display. Those uses seem to me to be fuelled by a need to justify having an iPad, rather than being actually useful.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

i know you are trying real hard to be an ass but you are only being a clown lol keep up the work... we ALL need a good laugh from time to time. cheers

No, seriously. I've seen a couple of bands try and use their iPads as controllers on stage and it just looks really, really try-hard, not actually cool (which I imagine is what they were aiming for) or even useful. in fact, the second act I saw looked more like he was using it as a lyric cheatsheet. It would be like strapping a Korg NanoKey to one forearm and playing it with your opposite hand. The person doing it would be thinking "wow! Nobody has ever done anything like this before!' and the people watching would be thinking "wow! I know why nobody has ever done anything like this before!" (And, yes, I did actually contemplate strapping a NanoKey to my left forearm and playing it with my right hand at one point.)

I’ve used an iPad running TouchOSC live for most of 10 years. It works very well, is sized small, is reactive (ie, the faders mapped on screen move with host automation and snapshots) and is quite flexible to configure. AND, it is a great value: my midi controller box does many other things like hook to my tv for watching programs, reading pdfs, etc. I doubt most people that have seen me perform are aware that I’ve used one... but it replaces at least one large MIDI fader box and a grid controller with something quite light, which is great. I could see the appeal for going all-in on the platform... AUM mixed with muti input/output audio interfaces makes for a powerful platform.

Anyone interested in iOS based music work could do worse than check out Chris Randall’s jams on Youtube (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5kZbVT ... index=1011) and read this thread on lines: https://llllllll.co/t/your-ios-arsenal/21500/1021

iPads are incredible MIDI controllers and can be a combination of MIDI hub, mixer and FX unit. I really can't think of a single device that can do as much as an iPad in controlling a live setup (except maybe a MacBook, but the apps are mostly different between the two, so it's really apples and oranges)

BONES wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:12 ama $15 stylus on the Surface sometimes.
It’s pretty disingenuous to imply that a music making tablet is a bad value because the stylus for *your* music making tablet (a Surface) is $15. Surely the Surface cost as much as an iPad and you find yourself using it for music, which is basically what you are (for reasons that I believe are a mystery to everyone here) arguing against. My only guess is that you cannot abide the cognitive dissonance of perhaps missing out on something by not yourself pursuing music making on iOS for whatever reason and find yourself arguing against it, poorly and publicly, on this forum in an effort to assuage the FOMO. But that’s only a guess. From the perspective of an observer it makes very little sense—so there must be some feelings involved.

I think you should consider taking a break and thinking through what you are trying to do on this forum and how it is working out for you.

Noumena wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 am
BONES wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:12 ama $15 stylus on the Surface sometimes.
It’s pretty disingenuous to imply that a music making tablet is a bad value because the stylus for *your* music making tablet (a Surface) is $15. Surely the Surface cost as much as an iPad and you find yourself using it for music, which is basically what you are (for reasons that I believe are a mystery to everyone here) arguing against. My only guess is that you cannot abide the cognitive dissonance of perhaps missing out on something by not yourself pursuing music making on iOS for whatever reason and find yourself arguing against it, poorly and publicly, on this forum in an effort to assuage the FOMO. But that’s only a guess. From the perspective of an observer it makes very little sense—so there must be some feelings involved.

I think you should consider taking a break and thinking through what you are trying to do on this forum and how it is working out for you.
I really hate to stick up for Bones, as his usual bull in a china shop reasoning sucks as is normal. I think his main point though, was that his surface pro runs an actual version of windows, and as such he can load and use actual full version cubase on it, rather than a cut down feature degraded version. Now, he says he has a surface pro 2 which is a dual core i5 running at a really slow clock speed so the thing doesn't melt. This means he can't be running cubase particularly well, but with a low track count and well chosen plugins, he probably has what he needs. Probably I wouldn't want to use a full featured DAW designed for real computers on a tiny ass surface pro, but it isn't a completely invalid point.

The more interesting line of discussion is this: My iPad pro could eat 8 of his surface pro 2's for breakfast, computer performance wise. so why isn't there a real, full DAW like logic or cubase on it? I have Cubasis 2 and it's decent, but I also have cubase, and I can assure you that Cubasis in no way equals Cubase. similarly, the version of GarageBand on it is nice, but it ain't Logic Pro. The IPad Pro is capable of running cubase and Logic at least as well as all but the best laptops, but it can't because it isn't available for the OS.

I use the iPad as my main "everything" pc on the go, I've never owned a laptop. my desktop is where my studio and gaming gets done, everything else on the ipad. so my usage of it is complimentary to my PC, MIDI controller, manuals, occasional sketchpad. but it could do a lot more, but the software is hamstrung. I don't think the ipad is a toy, but unless they start programming really pro apps for it, I'm afraid that I believe that Apple and other developers think that it is.

Woah, now the troll even is on the mobile here and as usual just talk bullshit.
Just ignore this psycho.
iPads (and iPhones) are the only really great multi-touch music tools. Its lightyears ahead of any other. That is a fact! :)
Also fact that you get a lot plug-ins for 1/5 to 1/10 of the desktop plug-in prices.
I mean things like Fabfilter, Eventide and so on.
Beside that you get real velocity and some other things no multi-touch app on windows will give you. As plus some unique and outstanding apps you cannot get for money on desktop.
Whatever. Love it or leave it.

Cinebient wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm Woah, now the troll even is on the mobile here and as usual just talk bullshit.
Just ignore this psycho.
It's a good idea to ignore him, but you shouldn't call him names - he's been called out on that, and I think the rest of us are better than that.

Forgotten wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 pm
Cinebient wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:42 pm Woah, now the troll even is on the mobile here and as usual just talk bullshit.
Just ignore this psycho.
It's a good idea to ignore him, but you shouldn't call him names - he's been called out on that, and I think the rest of us are better than that.
I do not said a name or :wink:
But you are right. But he is just everywhere here talks really some bullshit.
Yeah, anyway on my foe list but those quotes and if i´m not locked in.
Yeah, back to ignore the troll, you´re right.
iPads are great. I still prefer my macbook in general but i would miss my iOS apps and so i use both.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”