Steinberg Backbone - Drum Re-synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://new.steinberg.net/backbone/
Backbone is your new, innovative drum designer for single kicks, snares, hi-hats, percussion, rises, hits and more. Layer up to eight samples and shape them with classic subtractive synthesis, decompose samples into tonal and noise elements, re-synthesize samples to manipulate them in unheard ways and apply up to eight effects with two fully routable buses — all with a slick, extremely fast interface. Backbone takes your drums into a whole new era of sound design — the era of drum re-synthesis!
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Very interested in this.

Like, stuff I always tried to do, but got mixed results in too long time. Now rolled in one streamlined plugin? Need to check this out.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I may give this a try if the GUI is scalable (as in the font get bigger if you make the plug in bigger, nit just a bigger window!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's a cool instrument, after months of beta-testing this has finally been released. The spectral oscillator inside is similar to the one used in Padshop 2, great sound design possibilities.

SLiC wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:58 pm I may give this a try if the GUI is scalable (as in the font get bigger if you make the plug in bigger, nit just a bigger window!)
Alas it doesn't..... Sorry.
rsp
sound sculptist

The decompose feature in Groove Agent is one of its best lesser known features IMO. Drag a sample to a pad, go to the decompose section, click prelisten, and apply the desired settings. Then drag the noise sample to a different pad than the tonal sample and assign them to the same midi trigger note. Then the tonal sample can be tweaked with the pitch envelope and even lengthened with audiowarp - without affecting the noise part of the sample. Great stuff!

Backbone seems to be largely based around the decompose feature of GA5, but takes it further with the spectral oscillator. Seems pretty pricey for those who already have GA5, wish it could have been a part of GA6 instead.

I already see how Steinberg is going to add Backbone LE to Cubase 11. Then, charge Cubase users 50 euros for the full version and the ability to import own samples into the plugin.

I´d rather call it T800. "Pain can be controlled - you just disconnect it." Thumbs up SB!
*rethinking*

I got a bit of a Nigel Tufnell vibe off the copy:

"Layer up to eight samples and shape them with classic subtractive synthesis, decompose samples into tonal and noise elements, re-synthesize samples to manipulate them in unheard ways and apply up to eight effects with two fully routable buses — all with a slick, extremely fast interface."

Isn't this like Metrum or Battery or...."Yes, but it's got eight! Eight layers. It goes to eight!"

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 pm Isn't this like Metrum or Battery or...."Yes, but it's got eight! Eight layers. It goes to eight!"
Geist 2 has had that amount of layers per pad for years already. Not sure if I really need this plugin if I already own GA5, Geist 2 and Kick 2

danfi wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:53 pm I already see how Steinberg is going to add Backbone LE to Cubase 11. Then, charge Cubase users 50 euros for the full version and the ability to import own samples into the plugin.
Would that be so bad? The full version costs 149 €.

:hihi: I'll wait a bit longer to activate my ABS4....should inc BBone... :hihi:

ooo....thats sounds interesting...

You can automate most of the Backbone parameters from within your host application, whether these are parameters of a layer or global effect parameters.
Backbone provides 512 automation parameters that can be addressed from within the host application.

:clap:
Last edited by AcrossTheSky on Wed May 27, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 pm I got a bit of a Nigel Tufnell vibe off the copy:

"Layer up to eight samples and shape them with classic subtractive synthesis, decompose samples into tonal and noise elements, re-synthesize samples to manipulate them in unheard ways and apply up to eight effects with two fully routable buses — all with a slick, extremely fast interface."

Isn't this like Metrum or Battery or...."Yes, but it's got eight! Eight layers. It goes to eight!"
Don't undersand why they stopped at eight.
It should have gone to eleven!
https://youtu.be/4xgx4k83zzc

AcrossTheSky wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:42 pm :hihi: I'll wait a bit longer to activate my ABS4....should inc BBone... :hihi:

ooo....thats sounds interesting...

You can automate most of the Backbone parameters from within your host application, whether these are parameters of a layer or global effect parameters.
Backbone provides 512 automation parameters that can be addressed from within the host application.

:clap:
The thing I'm having trouble with though is: does it make sense to use this rather than do a lot of the processing on the DAW timeline and resample from there? I've only got as far as watching a couple of the videos but a weakness seems to be a lack of an overall timeline view. If you're lining up samples for whooshes etc or for phase on a kick you really want an overview of the overlaid samples, which may well be easier on the DAW timeline.

Though the resynthesis options look handy, you could wind up just using Physion or something like that in the DAW directly and get the benefit of aligning things to a timeline rather than clicking in and out of subwindows. And just use automation on regular effects. If you use several instances as souped-up drumpads maybe it makes more sense but it might be real overkill for an align-and-render way of working.

Looks interesting.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Return to “Instruments”