SampleSumo SaltyGrain 1.0 is out ! (aka KTGrain 2.0)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice to meet you Dirtgrain!

It probably won't change your mind, but as the developer of this plugin, I still felt I should probably clarify some of the statements you made:
on the pan sliders, the left one shifts pan to the right; and vice versa
Well, as with all the other min/max slider combo's, the left slider is for the min. value and the right is for the max. value. It's not as if the left slider should determine panning to the left, and the right slider determine panning to the right (if you put both sliders at the max. then what should that mean? as much left as right?). It actually means that all grains will have high panning values, which means panned towards the right (and vice versa). Just tried it again and it works fine in Cubase
(and also Live):
panning Cubase.png
can't click and hold and move mouse up and down--rather have to swing the knob around
Yes, you can: as we noticed very quickly that this seems to be purely a matter of personal preference, we allow the user to choose the knob behavior: see the manual (or just click on the "settings" icon at the bottom right):
knobs.png
Sorry about the noise/beeps in the demo: as a workaround (and I realize it's not an optimal solution to your annoyance), while trying out the plugin, you could just quickly remove the plugin and put it back to get another new test period without any demo noise/beeps.
It's a compromise: between making sure people can experience the full plugin while trying out a few things for some time vs. avoiding that people just keep using the demo plugin without buying it even if they really use it (which was actually what happened when the "non-polluted" demo time was much longer after we released the plugin years ago...) Simple time-limitations easily get cracked/worked around, so we built in something that directly works on the audio instead. But yeah, maybe the kick-in times are a bit too short now...
No preset window/tab in the interface. In Live, it shows up in the device container thing's pull-down. I dislike this very much. Live has no quick scroll to flip through them (anyone know of a shortcut for this?).
You're right, there is no preset control in the plugin window itself as it's the host's task to provide a uniform interface for preset browsing/selection for all plugins. But that doesn't mean you can't easily switch/select presets. See below for an excerpt from the manual again (with some info specifically for Live, which seem to handle presets slightly better for the VST version than for the AU version):
presets.png
AU presets.png
Man, I dig these sliders. You can lock a range and then slide it up and down. I haven't seen this before in a plugin (feel free to inform me).
This plugin was originally inspired by one of the granular contraptions in Ross' AudioMulch, which had/has(?) similar "double sliders" ;-)

Anyway, long post, and this probably won't change your mind, as I understand you have a few other granular plugins already, but just wanted to take the time to clarify things a bit.

All the best!
Koen

PS
I don't know if the other plugins you have can do this, but with SaltyGrain you can also live-sample the real-time audio stream and then use a MIDI keyboard to "play the grains" live (with the sample buffer either frozen or still live streaming). See section 7.2 in the manual for that. I believe someone from Sigur Rós once told me they like this feature a lot. Someone should actually do a video of this at some time ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KoenTanghe wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 pm
This plugin was originally inspired by one of the granular contraptions in Ross' AudioMulch, which had/has(?) similar "double sliders" ;-)
the audiomulch granulator is one of my favorite things. i so wish satly grain had the quantization options that Granulator has. it's so incredibly useful. any chance you'll add that feature someday?

Many thanks for the replies, and you seem to cover a lot in the manual, which obviously I should check. I'll give it some more consideration.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

resistent wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:36 pm
dayjob wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 pm
KoenTanghe wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 pm
the audiomulch granulator is one of my favorite things. i so wish satly grain had the quantization options that Granulator has. it's so incredibly useful. any chance you'll add that feature someday?
As a long time audiomulch user I would love to see this in SaltyGrain + resizable interface.
in audiomulch the quantization is half the fun. also w/audiomulch the snapshots make everythign so dynamic. automating snapshots on the granulator that have different quantization settings is something i did a ton of when i used audiomulch as my main tool.

Is this plugin still being developed or in a kind of final state?

@resistent @dayjob : Host tempo-related IOT (and other time-related parameters like delay and duration) was already on the wish list, but I've raised it. Are you both existing SaltyGrain users (a bit hard to know from the KVR-Audio usernames)? You can PM me so I can add your contact info to the feature request.

@resistent : Resizable GUI is not an easy one (would require a big re-write of the GUI code).

@calenberger : If you mean "is the developer working on this plugin from time to time to make sure it works well and people who pay for it have a proven, fully working, reliable granular effect tool they can count on, also in a professional context", then: yes, of course.
If you mean "is this the final feature set?", then: not necessarily. It's definitely true that nothing much has changed feature-wise since the initial release (there were bug fixes / maintenance releases). At the end of 2018 AAX native support was added, as that was the main feature request I was getting from users / potential users. Obviously, I'm not making my living solely from selling this plugin (far from it, but that's fine), so I'm careful about what I work on (and must make sure I don't break 8 years of user's projects too), but if I feel like adding a new feature, I will do it, yes.

I hope this helped in some way. Have a nice day!

KoenTanghe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:17 am @resistent @dayjob : Host tempo-related IOT (and other time-related parameters like delay and duration) was already on the wish list, but I've raised it. Are you both existing SaltyGrain users (a bit hard to know from the KVR-Audio usernames)? You can PM me so I can add your contact info to the feature request.
PM sent! great news.

Don’t bother dayjob, won’t happen. Dev is ´collecting´ feature requests since years (SampleSumo even had user forums at some point) but zero new features have been added since the release. Will believe in the feature requests once I see at least just ONE added...

Hi Neon Breath,
sorry to disappoint you. Yes, you're right, I'm keeping a list of feature requests. Implementing AAX support for ProTools users was the last feature request I've added, but as I get it, that wasn't of much use to you. It was the most requested feature though, and that's what I listened to first and made it happen.
I get it from your tone that you're disappointed, and you've got all the rights to feel so. So: sorry for that.
That doesn't take away from the fact that many of my users find this a very useful and worthwhile product, with the features it currently has. But it's OK to share your feelings.
Anyway, have a nice day!
Koen

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy SaltyGrain. Quite a nice granulator! I just don’t understand why you keep telling people to send you their features requests while they won’t be added in any update. At least, since now new features never been added at any point. You manage the way you want, it’s your plugin (and yes as is, it’ already quite nice). Still, new features one day could be beneficial to keep it up to date against competition.

Hey guys good news, Saltygrain has been updated!! It now has filtering per grain :o :love:

https://www.samplesumo.com/product/saltygrain

Neon Breath wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:24 pm Hey guys good news, Saltygrain has been updated!! It now has filtering per grain :o :love:

https://www.samplesumo.com/product/saltygrain
Thx for the heads-up!
I love this little plugin and still use it after all these years..

I would like to see randomizers in the style of Andy's HomeGrown Audio instruments.
The R inside a square is the Randomize button.
https://hgsounds.com/product/serenity-g ... =1&slide=0

Return to “Effects”