NI have announced they will no longer activate discontinued products

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

surreal wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:11 am So what is the update progress here? Matt from Ni has mysteriously been very silent these days....
perhaps you should quote him, he might have his notifications set to get notified when someone quotes him :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

The locked thread brought in an interesting case study: a G5 Mac user who cannot upgrade their OS to meet the requirements for activation. This has some interesting implications for the advertised "minimum requirements" when NI software is purchased:

a) the minimum OS requirements for activation can retroactively change
b) as a consequence, the supported hardware platforms for activation can also retroactively change

That's not nice.

A reminder to those following that there is a difference between "support" and "allowing people to reinstall their software".

imrae wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 am a) the minimum OS requirements for activation can retroactively change
b) as a consequence, the supported hardware platforms for activation can also retroactively change

That's not nice.
Copy protection is rarely nice for paying customers. But these special cases are connected to really ancient setups. I would love it if companies simply remove the cp for those old versions. Like Tracktion/Waveform released free the old versions. Anything else will drive legit customers to pirated versions, which is to be avoided and does more harm than freely floating old versions. They could limit the downloads to the legit users easily...
To the contrary, its the best advertisement imaginable for the reputation of the company. If old PPC versions of NI software would be without cp, it would benefit all. Of course, it might be too late now, they should have made these versions back then and should have locked them away for some years...

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:33 amI would love it if companies simply remove the cp for those old versions
It's not "simply", because this implies there's a working G5 somewhere at NI (there isn't last time I checked), and that their toolchain can still build those old projects (it likely can't since there's been way too many breaking updates since).
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:33 amthey should have made these versions back then and should have locked them away for some years...
Indeed. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say...

Matt_NI wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:22 pm
fmr wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 am
Matt_NI wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 am Testing done for the Kontakt instruments :hyper:

The OEM instruments listed here can now be activated in Native Access: https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... nd-of-Life

Native Access can be used on 10.9 and higher if you are using an older OS: https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... g-Systems-

These changes also fixed some known issues with 10.15 and it looks like some instruments can also be activated on Catalina (Colossus and Gold for ex)

We will send official communication around this via newsletter and of course update our announcement to remove instruments that are no longer affected.
So, when will the new NA version that activates these products be available. And will that only support third party products (not NI ones, like B4 II, Pro-53 and Bandstand, for example)?
It's already set up actually so it would work with any version of NA and this is actually for ALL the 3rd party instruments we listed originally. We will share more information about our own application soon.
Hello Matt from NI you have become very quiet.. please update us on the official method of activation of the older products that you said could be activated by NA? As service centre is due to be killed off in a few days and I am standing on knife edge to get my ni plugins to be activated on a new system please... I am rushing against time

It's not just a G5. My old MacBook can't run anything after 10.7. However, as I mentioned in the other thread (and probably here too) I was able to activate Komplete 3 on a G4 a couple of years back with codes from NI support.

I would assume they will still provide these on a case-by-case basis but the numbers of people needing to (re)install on such older machines is probably too small to justify extending Native Access support down to these older systems. All that matters is that you can still activate these systems offline with the necessary codes.
Image Image Image Image

I’ve used literally none of what’s on that list in over a decade

surreal wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:03 pm Hello Matt from NI you have become very quiet..
Have you checked the obituaries ? :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:39 pm
surreal wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:03 pm Hello Matt from NI you have become very quiet..
Have you checked the obituaries ? :wink:
Thats a f**king dumb thing to say, especially with a bloody wink.

You think people dying during a pandemic is funny?
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

It's worse to use the pandemic again to underline one's opinion.

so let's just get off this tangent all together k?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Not to point the finger at NI specifically. But things like this are really driving me away from music software in general.

In this case, it seems perfectly reasonable for them to stop supporting products that haven’t been sold for years. People are just sour at them over whatever. I don’t care honestly.. what it does show is how negative the vibe around music software has become in general. It stopped being a fun, exciting and inspiring place to be long ago. Some exceptions.. but overall it’s really heading downhill.

Yesterday I downloaded the demo of mixbuss and guess what , their ancient service center was installed too
Wouldn't it be time for N.I. to migrate everything to native acces ?
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

imrae wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 am A reminder to those following that there is a difference between "support" and "allowing people to reinstall their software".
lwj wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 am In this case, it seems perfectly reasonable for them to stop supporting products that haven’t been sold for years.
:dog:

imrae wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:15 am
imrae wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:51 am A reminder to those following that there is a difference between "support" and "allowing people to reinstall their software".
lwj wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:43 am In this case, it seems perfectly reasonable for them to stop supporting products that haven’t been sold for years.
:dog:
+ :bang:
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Return to “Instruments”