1%
What is a DAW?
2%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 372

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just curious, as I've been using only one DAW for the whole 8 years of my msuic making attempts and never felt the need to buy and learn another one (except for one collab work where I had to temporarily switch to another DAW which I hated).

Does it enhance your workflow in some way, or provides more sources of inspiration?
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

At the beginning I thought I'm trying to find the perfect one, but it turns out there's no such thing and I further realized that I like how different DAWs influence how I do stuff, even if at the end it still sounds like "my" music.

"Bonus" point is I can go to every DAW's forum and complain it doesn't have something that other DAWs have ;) :D :help:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

As for me, it's a curse. I just can't work in one for a long time. But I want, and I am searching for an "Ideal" daw that doesn't exist. I own Logic X, Studio One 4, Bitwig 3, Ableton Suite 10, Fl Studio 20, REAPER. I am pretty fluent in all of them. And now I am itching to buy and explore Cubase 10, can somebody help me?

^^^ similar to Logic plus the chords track but that can be replaced with Captian Chords
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KTUPmcpyUw
and Cubase hasn't got Loops Grid, orchestration/articulation can be solved with plugins like http://www.audiogrocery.com/a.g_toolkit_pro.htm
Last edited by xbitz on Thu May 28, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I only use two, Reaper and Ableton Intro, as I feel they compliment each other nicely, if I ever get stuck then switching to the other can be inspiring, just a change of scenery ultimately.

I have most of them. Love them all, hate them all :D
It is fun :party:

Serhii Kot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 am...And now I am itching to buy and explore Cubase 10, can somebody help me?
Yes. I've 10.5 Pro for sale :)
Music tech enthusiast

recursive one wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 am (except for one collab work which I hated).
Nice to know, thanks a ton :tu:

Answer to the question: They give me different perspective, different tools, different workflow, different inspiration.

Bitwig is my choice of weapon, it's the best for me.
Reason is a playground where I can lose myself, making sounds and atmospheres.
Reaper is a workhorse that I just like to have.
FLStudio is "something different" and I just like to switch to it occasionally.

I'm considering Live because of collaboration, but I hate the program.
I'm considering Studio one for the same reason, but I find it too clumsy.

I voted for "searching for the perfect DAW ..." although it is not the exact thing, but near.

I have spent enough time with several ones but kept changing while learning new things also. I thought Bitwig would be my final DAW, but now I think Ableton Live is the one that I feel more creative and happy with especially when I upgraded to Suite. It is still not the perfect as it misses several essential things. Anyway, it is the most pleasant DAW that makes sense in every small details to me. So, mainly I use it now and I might sell all others, but I'm not in a hurry ;)

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:33 pm
recursive one wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:59 am (except for one collab work which I hated).
The collab was awesome it was the DAW what I hated :)

Thanks for the responces, interesting how people may have different perspectives.

Actually I sometimes think about getting another DAW with a radically different workflow, e.g. FL Studio or maybe even Bitwig, and see if it could inspire me to try some different approaches. But then I think how it would impact the ratio of started projects to finished tracks which is already quite low here. :? Better to stay focused I think.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:47 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:33 pm
The collab was awesome it was the DAW what I hated :)

Thanks for the responces, interesting how people may have different perspectives.

Actually I sometimes think about getting another DAW with a radically different workflow, e.g. FL Studio or maybe even Bitwig, and see if it could inspire me to try some different approaches. But then I think how it would impact the ratio of started projects to finished tracks which is already quite low here. :? Better to stay focused I think.
I'd suggest bitwig since it's my main and I could harrass you more often with all my dirty suggestions :D
But Fls is quite alot of bang for the buck because of the free upgrades.. And you can use it in Studio one as a vst.

I'm not from the guys that their music is affected a lot by changing DAWs. 99% it is the same for me but the synths are very important and the sounds can play a rule but in the end, it is me who decide.

DAWs mostly can gives me comfort and makes the flow coming to my head. Finding what I want fast is important, but workflow and good user interface are also essential to be able to be productive. I don't have a lot of patience, so if things doesn't go right from two three tries, I begin to feel negative! So, I'm bad and lazy :hihi: Anyway, it is better to be focused and I don't advise someone to get distracted! You can demo other DAWs, but I find it better to stick to one DAW at least for just before mixing (but to be honest, all of them are suitable for mixing and mastering if we are just doing our tracks!).

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:33 pmBitwig is my choice of weapon, it's the best for me.
Collab, bro!? :hihi: I just started a project and I though to make it all-Bitwig (no VSTs) and also in Clip Launcher only. Interested? :)
Music tech enthusiast

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Re: Why do people use multiple DAWs?

Because GAS Pump Meters look like VU meters? :hihi:
When people move the goal posts to make a point, there is no longer an original point to be made.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”