1%
What is a DAW?
2%
Fish
8%

Total votes: 372

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I always worked in single DAW at the time, there's maybe situations when I move my projects to other DAW's to send it further and whole moving experience isn't something I want to deal with all the time.

All DAW's have flaws and I picked the one where I do the most work fastest, there's always going to be workarounds and missing features anyways, there's no perfect fit, most important thing is to get the job done, if I ever change the DAW again, it will be my only one too.

I just use one and that's Cubase pro. Don't see any reason to waste time with other DAWs. What's the point? I don't need anyone else to make me inspired. There are other things I can do to make me inspired. I wonder how many acually make any complete song(s). That's what matters. Any fool can own all DAW and plugins, vst's, real instruments and still don't create any song or only half made songs.

Daimonicon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 pmI wonder how many acually make any complete song(s). That's what matters. Any fool can own all DAW and plugins, vst's, real instruments and still don't create any song or only half made songs.
For someone who's so pro at completing songs, you can't seem to finish the song lyrics ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

It took me long enough to try to learn one (still only know the basics), I can't imagine going through all that again with a different one.

seangm wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:07 pmIt took me long enough to try to learn one (still only know the basics), I can't imagine going through all that again with a different one.
It gets easier with each new one, though - they're all 80% the same :)
Last edited by antic604 on Thu May 28, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast

Daimonicon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 pm I wonder how many acually make any complete song(s). That's what matters.
Because 'making songs' is the only possible use for a DAW, right?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Why use one? When another does something better.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I have several DAWs and switch almost every new song.
I often find me bored by look or features on one DAW, so that i switch to another to feel happier and more inspired.

It's the same reason i have many soft synths. Theoretically i could use just one. But one day i feel like i want to use or discover particular synth, the other day i don't.
Then i think it's enough to have 3 instances of same synth in one song, next i add another VSTi.

The same with effects... I have like 4 custom delays??? And how much custom compressors? I can't count :D

For me making music is gaming in the first place. So i just like gamification side of it. Would you play the same and only one game the whole life? :?: :D

take two bottles in to the shower?

yes, im an alcoholic!

antic604 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:22 pm
Serhii Kot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 am...And now I am itching to buy and explore Cubase 10, can somebody help me?
Yes. I've 10.5 Pro for sale :)
Not that kind of help I was asking :D
I thought someone will reason me, and my poor choices.

I have a problem. As misery loves company, I am glad to see I am not alone. I have multiple DAWs and they all unique features that draw me to them. Recently I got my current process down to just two DAWs: Cubase and Ableton. Cubase for midi intense stuff and for mixing/mastering, Ableton though is my go to for being creative (and for Max for live). There are some features I miss from the others I own, but I can't master them all with my biologically limited brain.

My main DAW is Cubase Pro, but I quite often use Pro Tools, i.e. when a client brings a session in for overdubs, or they're gonna mix the project themselves. I have come to like some features of Pro Tools, and will use it for different purposes, like elastic audio, run something through sansamp (love it), or simply to change things up a bit.

Serhii Kot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:22 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:22 pm
Serhii Kot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:20 am...And now I am itching to buy and explore Cubase 10, can somebody help me?
Yes. I've 10.5 Pro for sale :)
Not that kind of help I was asking :D
I thought someone will reason me, and my poor choices.
Yeah, I have Reason too but it's not for sale :P :hihi:
Music tech enthusiast

Looooong story - sorry...

I stayed with Cakewalk for a really long time, including the original Cakewalk, Pro Audio, Sonar. I kept an eye on other DAWs so I've tried (and even purchased) others once in a while but they've never really felt at home. I didn't understand why anyone would use multiple daws in parallel and learn several (quite complicated) programs. When Gibson closed down Cakewalk 2017 I started looking at the offers us Sonar users were offered and Cubase Pro felt like a natural choice and more or less covered what I needed and wanted. At this time I had a few licenses for other DAWs and tried out even more of them but nothing really felt great and natural TO ME - Cubase came closest. I felt like it was time for a change anyway, so I don't regret the switch even though Sonar got saved in the end. I don't have Sonar installed today.

One of the ones I had kept an eye on were Reason. I always liked the playfulness and intuitive workflow. But it never felt like a complete solution, there were always something major lacking. When they announced the plugin (and automatic upgrade to 11) it didn't take long to jump for Intro, and I later upgraded to full version. I've used the DAW much more than I had anticipated. Added bonus that I have a couple of friends that are not very experienced with music production on computers that have Reason, it's much easier to help them out now that I actually have the application myself. It also opens up for additional ways of collaboration, we've mostly been on location at my place before and used Sonar/Cubase.

It might end with me preferring one over the other, but I think they have so different strengths (for me) that I will probably use both for now. I will probably not upgrade any of my other DAWs for a while though.

My own experience
Checking other DAWs is a big trap. You start to like certain features exclusive to each and then you go mental before you know it and jump from one to the other all day :lol:
I am at the edge of uninstalling all and sticking to Cubase Pro no matter what :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”