Phase Plant released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

audiot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:06 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:47 pm
audiot wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 pm I dont like their business model :? but after demoing PhasePlant I coulnt resist the sale last year :oops: PhasePlant has one of the most intuitive modulation system. Compared to it's complexity, it's maybe the most intuitive plugin on the market. Loading PhasePlant is like looking on an empty canvas. Transforming ideas into sounds is much easier with phaseplant then with some competitors ... and it's fun :party: Workflow and visual feedback are outstanding ... on the same level as Serum. Soundwise it's not in the same league as u-he but it's a good sounding plugin ... i love PhasePlant :love:
What's not to like? There's certainly nothing controversial about it :shrug: In fact there's lots to love actually.
That Snappin-System feels a bit like, these micro transactions in computer games. They should include the complete FX section, and if you like some of the effects and want to use them externally, then you have to buy them.
Ok, I understand the Pokemon feel to this and I have been busy collecting them. However, that isn't essential and I've only been doing so when they have their recent monthly sales. I only paid full price for one and that was due to a shopping cart/discount coupon error :x

I guess it's just like everything, you just need discipline.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

If I buy the cheapest version, I'll get all the oscs + 3band EQ, Chorus, Delay, Gain, Limiter, Stereo (as VST/AU/AAX and Snapin)? And if I'll get the second cheapest, it will give all the previously mentioned and Compressor, Distortion, Dynamics, Filter, Phaser, Reverb (as VST/AU/AAX and Snapin)?

So with the cheapest one there is NO reverb?

But if I'll get the cheapest version: how about the factory presets/sounds if they are made with using the effects from the more expensive verssions? :/

Tannaliini wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 pm If I buy the cheapest version, I'll get all the oscs + 3band EQ, Chorus, Delay, Gain, Limiter, Stereo (as VST/AU/AAX and Snapin)? And if I'll get the second cheapest, it will give all the previously mentioned and Compressor, Distortion, Dynamics, Filter, Phaser, Reverb (as VST/AU/AAX and Snapin)?

But if I'll get the cheapest version: how about the factory presets/sounds if they are made with using the effects from the more expensive verssions? :/
They say:
Note that all factory and third-party presets will work regardless of which effects you own.

Stan Navi wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:48 pm
Tannaliini wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 pm If I buy the cheapest version, I'll get all the oscs + 3band EQ, Chorus, Delay, Gain, Limiter, Stereo (as VST/AU/AAX and Snapin)? And if I'll get the second cheapest, it will give all the previously mentioned and Compressor, Distortion, Dynamics, Filter, Phaser, Reverb (as VST/AU/AAX and Snapin)?

They say:
Note that all factory and third-party presets will work regardless of which effects you own.
So isn't a workaround to build an INIT patch with every effect. I'd buy that single patch for €50 if it gave me access to everything :shrug:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 pm So isn't a workaround to build an INIT patch with every effect. I'd buy that single patch for €50 if it gave me access to everything :shrug:
I think that you can't alter the settings of any effects you don't own.

koalaboy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:08 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 pm So isn't a workaround to build an INIT patch with every effect. I'd buy that single patch for €50 if it gave me access to everything :shrug:
I think that you can't alter the settings of any effects you don't own.
Ah ok, so they've thought of that then.

so any presets that use effects none of the effects can be altered in anyway for that preset ?

mmm I was tempted but I think I'm out

Any effects not in the bundle you paid for, I believe.
But yes it is a strange model and between that and that the sound didn't woo me, made it a no brainer to quell the GAS in me.
rsp
sound sculptist

Yeh, I buy 'everything' but I didn't buy this.

I cant live with 'effects locked, you don't own a licence' written all over a plug in I have paid for on just about every preset.

So the presets play even if you don't own the effect- little to much distortion for your taste? Tough shit, cant change it...too much Reverb...take it or leave it. Stupid greedy model in my opinion.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Wait a minute... Did I get this right:
I buy the cheapest version, but when I download & install it, it installs all the plugins from the more expensive versions? I just can’t use them but they are installed on my computer?!

I think the way Kilohearts works is that it is all one big sound engine and all you do when you buy a plugin is enable it's GUI. I don't know this for a fact but whenever there is an update, everything gets updated in one hit, so it seems likely that it works this way.
Tannaliini wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:42 pmSo with the cheapest one there is NO reverb?
Do you not have a reverb VST you could use in a send or insert slot?
They still work but you can't adjust anything. i.e the interface doesn't display any controls but the effect is still there in the signal path.
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 pmSo isn't a workaround to build an INIT patch with every effect. I'd buy that single patch for €50 if it gave me access to everything :shrug:
It could be but you'd be stuck with whatever settings were made at the time.
Buckster wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pmso any presets that use effects none of the effects can be altered in anyway for that preset ?
You can change the effect settings if you own that effect. It's only effects you don't own that won't display their UI.
SLiC wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:42 pmStupid greedy model in my opinion.
So don't buy it. I think it represents good value for what's on offer. I bought the bare-bones version and I never really had any issues with just what ships plus the couple of snap-ins I already owned. They are just effects, you can always use sends and inserts in your host.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:38 am
Do you not have a reverb VST you could use in a send or insert slot?

I do have couple of reverbs, but they can't be added inside PhasePlant (I have tried these FXs so far Valhalla Supermassive, Ozone 9 Elements, Fruity Reverb 2, Fruity Delay 2). But none KHs products -> I should have KHs own FXs to work with inside Phase Plant?
:scared:

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 pmSo isn't a workaround to build an INIT patch with every effect. I'd buy that single patch for €50 if it gave me access to everything :shrug:
It could be but you'd be stuck with whatever settings were made at the time.
Yep, I've since learned the parameters are locked. Makes sense that they already closed this loophole.

SLiC wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:42 pmStupid greedy model in my opinion.
So don't buy it. I think it represents good value for what's on offer. I bought the bare-bones version and I never really had any issues with just what ships plus the couple of snap-ins I already owned. They are just effects, you can always use sends and inserts in your host.
I didn't, and I hate missing out on new synths and bargains :borg:

I probably would have however if it didn't install and show a large amount of plug ins I cant use or presets I cant alter. Reminds me of IK Multimedia's marketing model in Amplitube and T-racks, load all the stuff you haven't bought and frustrate the hell out of you in an effort to make you buy it. Has the opposite effect on me!

Anyway, its a nice sounding and flexible synth engine but I doint need/want another ecosystem with a continuous flow of tempting add-ons, I can resist anything but temptation; not starting seems like the best option! I just await the imminent (free) addition of granular synthesis to Rapid to stop me jonesing.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Popping by to share a new Phase Plant tutorial but will clarify a couple of things about presets whilst I'm here. :-)

The Kilohearts ecosystem is modular. So you have hosts (Phase Plant, Multipass and Snap Heap) and FX modules that you can load into them.

Presets in any Kilohearts host plugin will work whether you own the used FX modules or not but you won't be able to directly tweak the parameters of the FX you don't own unless they're hooked up to macros, which still leaves a lot of tweaking for presets that use the macros well. And you can still move those modules about and switch them on and off.

This counts for factory presets and any third-party presets you get your hands on.

It's well worth noting that the Snap Heap host is free, can be used as an FX module in Phase Plant, and comes with its own collection of presets that include tweakable reverbs, delays, distortion, glitches, creative effects, and loads more... all available without owning a single extra FX module!

Hopefully that shines some light on the preset stuff.

SPOILER: The next generator to be added to Phase Plant will be granular, it will be added at no extra cost, and you can bet it will as functional and powerful as the existing generators. :tu:

Now... what did I come here for... ah yes!

There is a new official Phase Plant tutorial available on the brand new 'blog' section of the Kilohearts website. In collaboration with SubPac, Kilohearts bring you part one, "Making a Bass in Phase Plant" with Protostar: https://kilohearts.com/blog/phase_plant ... _protostar

Enjoy! :love:

Return to “Instruments”