What are the best plugins that don't sound like vintage synths / older analog synths?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Serum. Harmor.

Hive, Dune, Serum...

For non-analog coolness I like:
* Sugar Bytes Factory. This has weird oscillators, excellent modulation sequencers and patch morphing options.
* Any synth with BYOME (Build your own multi-effects) or TRIAD (multi-band version of BYOME).
These are a whole suite of effects in one plugin with as many LFOs or random modulation widgets as you want. These can modify ANY knob in the effects.
* Lion (has a version of BYOME built-in)

To get Byome, Triad or Lion cheap:
* join pluginalliance.com
* wait for a sale where all plugins are $50 (happens 4 times a year or so)
* by then you'll probably have bought something else from them and will be sent a monthly voucher coupon that
you can stack with the sale price. I think my total price for Triad was $25 or something crazy.

synth1

any plugin with enough effects on it.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

It's hard to say without knowing what sort of music you want to make but for general not sounding like anything else, Sugar Bytes' Aparillo is definitely one to check out. If you want something cheap that sounds good, $8 will get you Soundspot's Union. TRK-01 is a great ensemble that works in the Reaktor player and the bass synth side of it offers five different forms of synthesis, none of which sound like vintage gear. It is one of my go-tos.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

jeffb01 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 pm Pretty much anything by Sugar Bytes, Glitchmachines or Inear Display. Symptohm by OhmForce is unusual ... as are Icarus, Electra & Rayblaster from Tone2 and LION from Unfiltered Audio. Quanta, Axon and Phosphor2 by Audio Damage are cool and different too.

For free there's SURGE :)
I thought Phosphor was based on the AlphaSyntuari synth...
You are correct. Its still a fairly unusual synth tho ... on sale at plugin boutique.

arturias moog :hihi:

DiscoDSP make great synths. I love Corona. If you add some free single cycle waveforms into the mix it can create sounds that no other synth can.

Serum

I would bet Reaktor 6 has the most versatility seeing how Monark was made inside of it. And Sugar-Bytes has some of the most creative synths.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 pm Pretty much anything by Sugar Bytes, Glitchmachines or Inear Display. Symptohm by OhmForce is unusual ... as are Icarus, Electra & Rayblaster from Tone2 and LION from Unfiltered Audio. Quanta, Axon and Phosphor2 by Audio Damage are cool and different too.

For free there's SURGE :)
LION is on sale at PA for 48 hours ... only $39. :)

If you want something cheap, the mentioned Soundspot's Union is a decent choice to look at. Really doesn't hurt to try out with price at only $8/£6.

But if the price is not a factor and you would like to get really into it and methodical, Hive 2 is a recent favourite.
Take care :wink:

A new synth that definitely fits the criteria is HY-Poly. It has a pristine digital character and is very versatile. It's only $40 at the moment and I think it's worth a lot more than that. There is also a free version that has all the basic features. It's a lot more limited but has the same high quality sound.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Lots of “modern” synths on iOS, too.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”