Why did you left CDs?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have 4000 cd:s and digitize them couple years ago. Just moved to new home and had to pack those cd:s. On new home, I did not see any point anymore to take them out off the box as usually I play the music from computer or from phone. Nowdays I try to buy only digital from bandcamp. First it was very difficult as I feel like I have to have something in concrete from from the band. But now I have used to it and it seems like pointless to get more plastic. Still buy occational releases if not available on bandcamp or if release/small record company need support. Vinyls are nice looking but I hated them allready before cd:s as they dont last.

vurt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:29 pm you had games :o
err, no...what am I saying! I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof :wink:

thats right! i forgot you have no furniture :hug:

:hihi:

A great format for the its time. But in the end, I ripped all mine to mp3. And handed a bag of 600 CDs to a good mate.

Now, I like to buy stuff instantly. Why wait, for something to arrive in the post, that can get damaged or scratched?

Band Camp is brilliant. I can't comfortably walk around with a CD player in my pocket. But an mp3 player with all my favorite albums, happy days.

YMMV.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

at a certain point some yrs ago I began to rip everything to hard drive, finally I figured to do at 320VBR mp3s to save space, and I haven’t had any device which plays the things since ca. 2015, then lost all my possessions a year later. I have no desire for hard copies of music today.

Beth and Monica borrowed my pickup truck. Beth stole my Bad Company 10 from 6 CD. I felt so emasculated, I never bought another CD for fear of triggering the memory.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

vurt wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:44 pm thats right! i forgot you have no furniture :hug:

:hihi:
Well, it's only been five years with no bed, and the last two years with no chairs or hot water. But before that, I was somewhat normal...ish :scared:

Because it's a piece of junk, and should be prohibited in a modern world. We already have enough waste in the ocean.

I used to listen to CDs in my car, because the stereo didn't have an aux input. I'd buy MP3s but then still have to burn them to CD to listen in the car, and hated that. It was also a period when nobody was making hard disk MP3 players, but flash memory was still way too expensive/small to store a whole collection. Those were truly dark times for music listening technology :hihi:

Then I got a new car in 2014 which had Bluetooth audio, and got heavily into streaming. (Google Play Music, because unlike some services you could listen to full albums.)

But streaming is a shitty deal for musicians, so this year I resolved to go back to my MP3 collection and buy music on Bandcamp (or otherwise directly from musicians whenever possible).

Now it turns out Google Play Music is shutting down anyway. There were a few albums in my collection there that I haven't found downloads for, so I had to buy some CDs off eBay... and an external optical drive so I could rip them. While I was doing that, I went back through my old CD collection that has been in storage for 6 years. There are still about 300 of them that I haven't ripped, because my tastes have changed and my MP3 collection is big enough... 892 albums on the Plex server that I set up, another 200 archived, and my Bandcamp wishlist still has 22 albums on it for the next couple of times they do their fee-waiving thing.

I have around 4500 cd's and ripped them all to a NAS drive as well as backing them up with Google Music (Google Play). My cd's are in a storage now as I do not have room for them anymore because of too many damn Hardware synths! :lol:

I doubt if I will ever not enjoy listening to music, delivered to my ears by a physical medium. A computer is a rather unromantic piece of equipment, and I have a personal hate for mobile devices and their respective, vapourous media. I can't think of anything more enjoyable than sitting on the sofa with my girlfriend listening to a CD through a good sounding stereo, and then, every forty minutes or so, when the CD finishes, getting up to make another coffee before deciding what album to put on next.

roman.i wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:00 am Because it's a piece of junk, and should be prohibited in a modern world. We already have enough waste in the ocean.
I keep mine on shelves, not in the ocean.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

convenience....
Soon we will all wear a music chip, in our brain.

Downloading, downloading....

TheSynthScientist wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 pm convenience....

is it still considered "wearing" if its internal?

vurt wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:57 pm
TheSynthScientist wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 pm convenience....

is it still considered "wearing" if its internal?
And if you don't have an implant, does that mean your brain is naked?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”