Essential & Useful Reascripts & Jsfx suggestion for reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Danilo Villanova wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 pm The CRINGE!

Lol
Oh, the irony.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:34 pm yeah, but I'm sure I remember something distinctly different from that, specific to a particular theme. I hate menu systems for plugins that don't immediately respect my folder layout, and Im sure this did. Maybe I just imagined it.

But then, that's the gotcha to all that customisability. There's some useful stuff out there, but even if you can find it, if support stops, or its not compatible with some other thing in your skin or whatever, then features you grow to rely on can be cut out from under you. ReaMenus seems to have been abandoned prior to V6, it seems? This morning I found an interesting cable-style FX-patching thing that looked a thousand times more useful than the current FX dialog but its already been abandoned. Decent clean themes that never caught up with V5 let alone V6. That sort of thing.
It's possible that the theme you recall doing that actually came with some additional menu configuration options to install with it; some theme authors include stuff like that so that their theme works as intended.

But Reaper will respect your folder layout if you tell it to. In the options menu of the "fugly" window, you can tell it to essentially sort by VST folders (among other options) and quickly configure it in such a way so that when you right click the FX button in the TCP, you get a menu of all your plugins as you have them sorted on your hard drive. But perhaps I misunderstand what you're looking for, and I'm foolishly explaining something to you that you already know.

As to the OP; if you ever work with virtual instruments with multiple articulations, I highly recommend Reaticulate for your articulation management. It takes a bit of setup, but it's a really neat system, and it's free.

Other useful/fun scripts include :

Julian Sader's MIDI editing tools

MIDI Ex Machina (euclidean rhythms, flexible arp)

Lokasenna's Radial Menu

Pandabot's Chord Gun

LBX Stripper

Of course there are hundreds of little things that are going to be highly specific to your individual workflow. A lot of people use Reaper for different reasons, so for example, scripts that are helpful for bulk sample editing probably won't be useful for musicians, etc.

funky lime wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:18 pm But Reaper will respect your folder layout if you tell it to. In the options menu of the "fugly" window, you can tell it to essentially sort by VST folders (among other options) and quickly configure it in such a way so that when you right click the FX button in the TCP, you get a menu of all your plugins as you have them sorted on your hard drive. But perhaps I misunderstand what you're looking for, and I'm foolishly explaining something to you that you already know.
No, this is, if not entirely new to me, then very far from registered in the forebrain. Habit is I install Reaper a couple of times a year, each time kicking the tires for a day or three before deciding it still doesn't suit me, so detail is all mostly-forgotten.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:12 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:59 pm :o

Someone stroke a chord I see. :)
That would actually be 'struck.' Good to see your command of English stays as good as your insight into, well, anything really.

And the guy he's wibbling about already stomped off sniffling after I ripped his comment a new one.

So what are you here for? Are you trying to pretend Im a Marxist, because that would be as f**king silly as your usual level of f**king silly, which is pretty f**king silly indeed.
Well, you never know. AFAIC, advocating open source, Linux, and all that has a lot of that.

chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:34 pm Well, you never know. AFAIC, advocating open source, Linux, and all that has a lot of that.
It doesn't actually, but don't let facts stop you.

By the way are you sure you know the meaning of the word 'advocate?' The real meaning, not one you've pulled out of your arse?

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:54 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:34 pm Well, you never know. AFAIC, advocating open source, Linux, and all that has a lot of that.
It doesn't actually, but don't let facts stop you.
Um, OK, I take your word for it. Althought you didn't really make any statement about it, let alone a factual one. ;)

Anyway, seems like you've gotten yourself in a lot of trouble here today, so, seems like a happy weekend. :lol:

chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:02 pm Um, OK, I take your word for it. Althought you didn't really make any statement about it, let alone a factual one. ;)

Anyway, seems like you've gotten yourself in a lot of trouble here today, so, seems like a happy weekend. :lol:
What trouble? Your fuckwitted trolling isnt trouble, its predictable.

whyterabbyt wrote: who the f**k are you

f**k off there.

Your fuckwitted trolling
Good thing I don't sit next to you, otherwise I'd be concerned about getting infected with Corona with you spitting the whole time while talking. :P

chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:19 pm

f**k off there.

Your fuckwitted trolling
Good thing I don't sit next to you, otherwise I'd be concerned about getting infected with Corona with you spitting the whole time while talking. :P
hes scottish, not scouse or welsh :shrug:

chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 5:19 pm

f**k off there.

Your fuckwitted trolling
Good thing I don't sit next to you
True.
otherwise I'd be concerned about getting infected with Corona with you spitting the whole time while talking. :P
Nah, you'd have pissed yourself and run off within a few minutes.

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:34 pm yeah, but I'm sure I remember something distinctly different from that, specific to a particular theme. I hate menu systems for plugins that don't immediately respect my folder layout, and Im sure this did. Maybe I just imagined it.

But then, that's the gotcha to all that customisability. There's some useful stuff out there, but even if you can find it, if support stops, or its not compatible with some other thing in your skin or whatever, then features you grow to rely on can be cut out from under you. ReaMenus seems to have been abandoned prior to V6, it seems? This morning I found an interesting cable-style FX-patching thing that looked a thousand times more useful than the current FX dialog but its already been abandoned. Decent clean themes that never caught up with V5 let alone V6. That sort of thing.
Like NERF said, it will give you a right-click menu however you have the main FX browser set up. If you have the FX browser set to show "VST folders" in left pane then you will see the folder hierarchy replicated in the right-click menu. I'm currently using custom folders, but since REAPER only has one level I'm using a slash to create "subcategories" like Analysis\Metering. That advantage of that, however, is I can have the same plugin in multiple categories. So it's working better and honestly faster for me than having the ability to drill down subfolders. But you can display both or any combination of ways.

Also you may be interested in Fast FX Finder or Quick Adder 2 (both in ReaPack which also makes finding things super-easy), they basically do the same thing—search plugin by text, which I really like from Cubase. It's faster than menus or using the FX browser filter if you know exactly what you want (and both have a favorites system).

As for maintenance, know that old themes will continue to work just fine (you can still run Classic 1.0!), they just don't have the easy configuration GUI that is specific to the default 6 theme anyway. Pretty much all third party v6 themes have adapted that configuration GUI since that is the main benefit until people figure the system out which may take some time. But it's working very well as is. I'm currently using Smooth 6, was using a slightly customized Default_Commala_5 (which is basically a sexier REAPER 4 default) before that. The customization in 6 is so good I can get my TCPs and MCPs exactly as I want them and that's what got me to switch.

ReaMenu is just a menu set, it won't break as long as the underlying commands exist. You can always add whatever's new and organize however you like. But they're always available in the Action menu anyway.

Regarding JSFX and scripts, the more complex and dependent it is on other things the more likely it can break. The simple scripts especially EEL will generally work in perpetuity, newer versions may take advantage of new API features but Cockos generally does not deprecate API. There most significant change in 6 was how the track panel is targeted since TCPs can now contain plugin UIs. This was updated in SWS which basically fixed it in everything that relied on it.

The major projects like SWS, ReaPack, the libraries, and many scripts are open source and team-based so as long as there is interest they will survive the bus factor. It's not much different and in fact more resilient than many developers that are one-person shops or financially precarious.

For the one that seems abandoned, does it not function still? I know of two that fit the description and they still work in 6. And the developers are still around, if something breaks, please file a bug report. Otherwise devs assume everything is smooth sailing.

msf sadib wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:34 pm
Boone777 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:06 pm Among my most used : Heda scripts (3$) https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/Realauncher, Quick adder 2. https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=232928

Here you will find the most popular ones:
https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
I can't find the realauncher.Seems like the link is broken.Quick launcher seems pretty cool
Realauncher should be easily found once Reapack is installed
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”