Filter effect I really don't get (solved)

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CHOOS wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:53 pm OK here's my attempt.

Every synth will have it's own character so it'll never be 100% unless you use all the same sounds and effects but you can get close.
The lower saw is quieter than the higher and I only use 2 voices. To me that's what gives it it's sharp/metallic character.

Now the phaser doesn't do that much and again every phaser sounds very different and especially the amount of steps used and then all the other settings.

Anyway... enough rambling

https://vimeo.com/424113921
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Flawless victory.

Thank you very much. Perfect demonstration. Nailed it. I think the search is over. :tu:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

hahahahaha
No problem bud
CHOOSX Remakes on my Youtube Channel

chk071 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 pm
DJErmac wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:35 pm Phaser simply doesn't work.
The problem is that phasers all sound so damn different from each other. It's like with filters, no wonder when you consider how a phaser is working.

Actually, listening to it, I could imagine that it's a mixture of low pass filter and high pass as well. Or even 2 sounds layered on top of each other, one unfiltered, the other filtered with a bandpass or highpass filter. I don't know really. You could experiment with that.
Yes, you're right, it could be a mixture of things. But it seems that a bell filter is working quite well to get the same result, so I think I'll go with this.

And the thing is that the song dates back from 1996... The more you go back in time, the less probability you have to find complex FX combinations, don't you think so ?

Some random remarks on filters and Phase...

Many filters will not only effect the Amplitude of frequencies in the spectrum (frequency response), but will effect the Phase as well. That's also why you have Minimal Phase and Linear Phase EQ's (EQ's are mostly a series of filters).

If you ever wondered what an Allpass filter does (since, if it passes all, what does it do?). Actually an Allpass filter will pass all frequencies (leave their Amplitude untouched), but will effect their Phase. So, if you have one available, modulating the "Cutoff" frequency of an Allpass filter effectively makes it a Phaser.

Generally the less phase is affected, the more accurate/desirable it is (though even that can be debated).

https://www.dsprelated.com/freebooks/fi ... Ideal.html
It is generally accepted that zero or linear phase filters are ideal for audio applications. This is because such filters delay all frequencies by the same amount, thereby maximally preserving waveshape. Mathematically, all Fourier-components passed by the filter remain time-synchronized exactly as they were in the original signal.

Another "phaser" is: a very fast delay (with no feedback). Since a delay, within a cycle time (of a single cycle of the waveform at a specific frequency), will mix a delayed and therefore phase shifted signal back into the signal path. Longer delays will effectively do the same, but leave the first cycle(s) untouched. Some delays allow for very short delay times (in milliseconds). There are bulks of commercial and free Delays available.

Thank you so much for those informations !!! Opens a whole new world ! :tu:

Return to “Sound Design”