Tape simulations for that mastering mojo.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok, maybe not MOST places, but it's a lot. i think it'd get people a negative impression on twitter, discord, tumblr, reddit—a whole bunch of sites.

either way, i don't have a bias about this; i prefaced the whole thing by saying that i thought you most likely meant the emoji in a positive way. i was just giving you a heads up.

Yeah it was. A friendly wink. We use them in real life ;) (yes...positive way here too!). Never had a problem on Reddit. Twitter is a dumpster fire but that's another discussion. Don't use discord or tumblr.

Interesting though. Not sure how the bleep a wink turned into that but its the Internet. Nothing should shock me anymore.

well, i have a couple theories, but it doesn't really matter. idk, it just seemed like something might be in danger of developing between you two. i apologize for being paranoid--i'll butt out of the conversation now.

Nah its all good. Like I said, really enjoying this thread!

sleepcircle wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:23 ameither way, i don't have a bias about this;
How dare you not point out an obvious pun!
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Waiting for a scotch-tape/duct-tape simulation.
A well-behaved signature.

Dark Fiber wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:47 am Reelbus4 is not an emulation, but more clean/modern sounding with a lot more options to fine-tune the sound.
ReelBus4 can be clean and dirty. I use it on the master, but also to make samples sound lofi.

I use u-he Satin on master.
its great for what I want...

Robmobius wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 pm Hello,

I've been using Slate's VTM for a good while now and I like it.
It does sound good.
UAD ans Waves also have some that are not bad.

PatchAdamz wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:35 am
Robmobius wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 pm Hello,

I've been using Slate's VTM for a good while now and I like it.
It does sound good.
UAD ans Waves also have some that are not bad.
Cheers for the info!
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:07 pmAlmost all their EQs cramp, saturators alias, or have noise and hum you can't disable etc.
There's almost always an analog button or 50/60Hz button you can turn off.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I almost never use a tape emulation on the master, but I will use it on a track to warm up a cold sounding synth. I actually really like the VTAPE plugins by Virsyn. My favorite tape delays plugins are IK Tape Delay, Valhalla Delay, Enso and Augustusloop, though the last two are tape loopers, not really delays.

I’ve also gotten decent results with the UAD Fatso emulation’s tape emulation. It’s really nice to get some warmth on the somewhat cold sounding Peak. UAD has a tape emulation, but I didn’t buy it, or even try it, because they don’t have a way to put it on the 2 bus without doing a round trip from your DAW, which adds latency. I mostly use my DAW for live improvisation, so I need something that doesn’t add latency.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

There are of course plugins with more color/distortion like Taupe or IKM. But after my tests these plugins are unusable because of the enormous CPU consumption and finally they are (IMO) too much for the current and modern sound. I would not use them on the master and only partially on groups/submixes.

VTM is still the best choice if you don't want a sound like in the 50s and where one instance eats the whole CPU ;) U-He Satin is also still quite good, needs little CPU and has a lot of settings (maybe too many for some users but there are also many presets)

telecode wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:59 pm
rezoneight wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:19 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:16 pm
It's not sarcasm. What i meant is contrary what been said here in this thread, the sound of a hot Kramer tape can be quite/very beautiful. I love that Duran Duran song, it's a fantastic finish to an album, and some great drums, and reverent to the lovely sound of the Kramer tape (i think). I assume they (Duran Duran) used the original machine not the Waves plug but i think it does sound basically the same.
Given when Paper Gods came out and the description of how hard it was to come up with the right recording medium I'd assume they used the Waves plugin, not the real thing ;)
i liked paper gods. saw that tour as well. how do you guys know they used tape plugins on that record? you'd think DD have access to a lot of real good studios and gear.
The crunchy sound, that's the Kramer tape (i think). I think it's audible from when the drum comes in at 1.30

This song:
Spring Goose wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:21 pm What's wrong with the sound of the Waves Kramer Tape?

It sounds alright if you ask me.

https://youtu.be/PTbJsE65nLs
Spring Goose wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:16 pm I recognised it (the tape) because i had made a track with a similar sound:
https://soundcloud.com/user-492255322/2 ... ossible-ep

Doesn’t Kramer’s alias like crazy, though? I’ve been preferring Magnititie from black rooster and Softube Tape for the last two years.

Return to “Effects”