VPS Avenger 2 will use dongle again (any news about the situation)?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I found a post (copied/posted on Reddit in summer 2019 from Avenger's FaceBook):
"It will start with Avenger 2.0, which has to be a paid update (no price set yet) and will introduce (beside new features) the eLicenser dongle again, which was the only 100% secure mechanism for us yet: Our Dongle protected plugins were never cracked in any way. It will take quite a long time and effort to switch to the new protection system, so dont expect this update anytime soon. Furthermore each license key for the elicenser will cost money, so the update can't obviously be free. Updates after 2.0 will be free of charge again of course." (https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/ ... rotection/).

So any news if this is still the situation -> the Avenger team is still planning to use dongle? :o

That FB post appeared in the big thread last summer before the move to Codemeter: viewtopic.php?p=7786085

Last thing I saw from Manuel in that thread is that he's happy enough with Codemeter so I don't see it changing. If you do a thread search on "eLicenser" it will come up near the top.

Nice to know Avenger 2 is a thing. Was thinking of picking up Avenger during a discount, but the elicenser would put me right off. And having to authorize every 90 days seems to be pretty annoying too.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:39 am And having to authorize every 90 days seems to be pretty annoying too.
Today i had to re-authorize and with the VMan software it took a round a minute here without any problems.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Yes, as long as you don't mind VMan running permanently in the background, in your system tray and constantly running three separate background processes taking up over10 Meg RAM.

As long as you don't mind all of that, and reauthorizing every 90 days its a great system for a single VST!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:02 am Yes, as long as you don't mind VMan running permanently in the background, in your system tray and constantly running three separate background processes taking up over10 Meg RAM.

As long as you don't mind all of that, and reauthorizing every 90 days its a great system for a single VST!
I guess you mean Cmcontainer running in background not Vman.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Not sure about Windows, but the OS X version has a Codemeter control panel that stops and starts the daemon, though you do have the faff of remembering to restart it when you want to run Avenger.

Although it isn’t huge, Cm does seem to consume more cycles than it should when it’s not actually been used by the software it’s meant to protect.

SLiC wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:02 am Yes, as long as you don't mind VMan running permanently in the background, in your system tray and constantly running three separate background processes taking up over10 Meg RAM.

Really? Over 10 MB RAM? Wow, it will bring my system to its knees...
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I think codemeter protection will not change, last time I've read vengeance likes how codemeter works

I don't think they'll change their copy protection again, it's brave enough to ask for money for that update ... :D

no new dongle i guess (unless this Avenger version gets cracked somehow too). it's indeed more convinient for them when users have to ask for permission every now and then. that way terminating licenses for whatever reason is way more easy ;)

Ingonator wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:21 am

I guess you mean Cmcontainer running in background not Vman.
Sorry yes, you have the following applications running permanently in the background.

CmWeb Admin
Codemeter Control Centre (32bit)
Codemeter Runtime Server (32bit)

They take just over 11MB memory and periodically 'ping' which takes CPU. It monitors program activities through firewall so when it installs it opened ports in your firewall.

Its not much resource, and the 90 days isn't a lot of inconvenience, and having another app (Vmanger) sitting on top of Codemeter helps a bit... but none of this existed when I bought Avenger and I had a nightmare getting it working to start with.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

So is it enough if I have internet access only when the 90days period is up/it needs to do the license check up? Or do I need internet connection ALL the time when using Avenger?

No just only when the 90 days period is up. Of course you can renew before the 90 period is up and start over the clock from then.

And of course you need it to download and authorize updates and any new soundbanks you might have purchased during that period.

rsp
sound sculptist

Well, we’ll see how long they last with CM. Even MAAT, with their massively overpriced EQs, has abandoned CodeMeter. As far as I know, that leaves Reason and Vengeance as the only ones in the music world using CM.

Return to “Instruments”