VPS Avenger new license system is a complete mystery

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cataclysm - Avenger Expansion VPS Avenger

Teksonik wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:05 pm The point for me is I'm not installing the Codemeter malware on my studio computer. It's a running process and loads at startup. It does me no good whatsoever so I consider it malware and I'm simply not going to infect my studio system with it.

It's a third party app that Vengeance has no control over and they have no idea what it's really doing (telemetry?). If there is a bug or issue with CM then Vengeance can't fix it.

So to me VPS Avenger is a write off. I still have the last non-codemeter version installed but won't use it any longer since it's dead ended and I found it to be a bit buggy.

That's ok, Vengeance takes its place on the list of companies I will no longer support along with ReFx and Tone 2 since they all seem to have an attitude problem dealing with paying customers.

I'll be using Parawave Rapid instead. Great plugin with a non-intrusive copy protection scheme and a developer who seems to know how to treat people who give him money. :tu:

https://parawave-audio.com/index.php?ro ... duct/rapid
100% with you on that. I've been testing rapid a lot more lately since Avenger is useless to me now. I haven't given the demo a lot of love until a few days ago but it is seriously deep and sounds so damn good. Not sure I need it just yet but I've put it on my radar for sure.
Yo.

I got rapid as well and i still think avenger cannot be replaced by it e.g. Granular section but sad to read from Teksonik about this! And to see how manuel is ignoring this topic shows a lot i guess.... remember to back these bad experiences up and spread the news also on facebook groups etc. So more and more ppl get aware of this!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I also switched to Rapid.
No regrets.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

UVI Falcon 2 is a very good replacement for Avenger when it comes to sound design - great instrument with three hassle free iLok authorisations.

hmmm. maybe in terms of features yes... but to me falcon is firstly much more expensive but I personally don't like the 'sound' of Falcon. That is I may have heard one out of 1,000 audio clips from it which I actually liked.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:39 pm hmmm. maybe in terms of features yes... but to me falcon is firstly much more expensive but I personally don't like the 'sound' of Falcon. That is I may have heard one out of 1,000 audio clips from it which I actually liked.
rsp
I like the sound quality of Falcon 2 a lot. Avenger is also very good sounding, no doubt about that, but seems more on the harder side (which is fine). Falcon sounds more polished (expensive) and smooth, but that is a very flexible starting point. Grit can come later. The transposition of high quality samples is extremely good and the grain engines can be tailored to a very convincing sound quality. There are some aggressive filters which I miss from Avenger.
Avenger is a really good synth, but unfortunately is now delivered with a copy protection from Absurdistan and managed by guys who think they're the center of the universe.

dreamvoid wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:41 am Avenger is a really good synth, but unfortunately is now delivered with a copy protection from Absurdistan and managed by guys who think they're the center of the universe.
:tu:

Yeah, I don't even want to give them the license transfer fee...
I should never have bought Avenger in the first place since they told me beforehand that it will never have MPE. GAS got the better of me there :oops: even thought I don't really like the sound much.

Live and learn...

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

I've realized that I've acquired more than enough workstation synths over the years to supplant it, so I'm just uninstalling Avenger to be done with it (after looking through my project files and realizing I used it on almost nothing before the copy protection kerfuffle hit).

FWIW, in terms of overall features and layering I would agree that for me Rapid is probably the closest "direct" replacement. No problems with the licensing for it that I've encountered.

Haven't looked at Falcon because it's very expensive, and has iLok which is a no-go for me as I'm trying to get away from as much background-process license manager nonsense as I can...

Falcon has pretty decent sales from time to time. I would wait till a good sale if you can.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Avenger is a good synth and has some good expansions, too. And it has many features, like drumkits with pianoroll sequencer for example and so on. But if you really want to work with it flexible, you have to use for every single sound an single instance. There were many improvement suggestions given, but it seems, they're planning a fee-based upgrade in the future, too.

So at the end, you have much, but nothing special or outstanding. I'm working with Rapid, Dune 3, Sylenth, Serum, sometimes Nexus and many other VSTs every day in many genres and I can do everything with them easily.

And if you are a preset user, you can find endless sample packs and high quality soundbanks especially for Sylenth and Serum much cheaper, too.

We are living in a great time, if some developers are meaning, they are gods and can do, what they want, it is easy to switch to another god! :wink:

I am a newbie in music making. And was planning to treat myself for a VST synth as a late late birthday present. And Avenger was one option. But after reading more about it (also from Reddit), it really starts to go to the “NO” category. I mean it is not that supreme to other synths. It is good, but then again there are plenty of other good synths without the hassle...

What is the issue with Serum as some mentioned? Does it also have bad copy protection system?

Tannaliini wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 pm ...............

What is the issue with Serum as some mentioned? Does it also have bad copy protection system?

Apparently (I have only read it here but not followed it up on xfer's site), that you are no longer allowed to resell your copy.
Not a deal for me as I rarely ever resell my synths (think I have sold one ever, have another that I have two licenses that I am trying to sell one of, and two sample libraries which can't be sold I wish I could sell, and this is almost 20 years of using software synths).

My issue with Serum is different and granted most will not consider it an issue.

(I guess I shouldn't leave it hanging.. I wonder who does his testing? He will release a updated version free of cost which adds a lot of useful features.... (yes!)
then over the next two weeks you will get 5 or more fixed versions..... (I exaggerate for emphasis)... yes it is really nice that the bugs seem fixed so quickly but I wonder why they get released in the first place... whilst no software is bugfree, it seems to me from their constant fix list that a lot of stuff slip by. For example on May 18th we got a new version with a lot of new features....... then......every few days with a lot of fixes for that version.).

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Sat May 30, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sound sculptist

Tannaliini wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 pm What is the issue with Serum as some mentioned? Does it also have bad copy protection system?
If you do the rent to own, you need to have the Splice app running once every three days I think. Once you pay it off, it's just a serial number, which is really good. The only issue with the Serum license is that it can't be resold.

zvenx wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:38 am Yes it does. Every 90 days and you have to renew them, by either using the Vman App which you can get from your your vps webportal or removing (rehosting) the license from the computer and reactivating it.
I kid you not.
rsp
Holy crap. I imagine we’ll see a steady stream of people abandoning it. That’s ridiculous.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Manuel said they working to make it do it all automatically; behind the scenes. Have No idea when that will be though.
rsp
sound sculptist

Return to “Instruments”