Do grownups use mic modelers?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a TLM 103 that I run through a Babyface, into Auria Pro on an Ipad. I bought a UA plugin called Mic Swap that I really like. In particular the U87 emulation, which takes some of the excess brightness off the TLM 103 and makes for a smoother sound.

When I grow up, I want to record in Logic Pro on my Mac. It looks like a simple, dongle-free, high-quality mic modeler does not really exist as a VST. This makes me think. What do grownups do to make their microphones sound good in Logic? I guess Antares makes a mic modeler but then I am going to have to go wrapped (with a dongle, I mean) which I have never done. I have always been bareback. I hear their modeler is nothing special anyway.

What should I do to make my TLM 103 sound better in Logic that does not require prophylactics or too much of a learning curve?

Dear Trevor,

One day when you grow up, you'll find out that some people just f**k around until it sounds interesting. Demo some mic modelers if you're curious, if it sounds good it is good. Otherwise, much can be done in the real world with mic placement, singing technique, throwing a plastic bag, sock, or condom over the mic to see if it does anything exciting... Oh, that's right, you like to ride bare back. Well then, some STD VST's might itch your scratch.

The OLD Antares modeler was okay, couldn't tell ya how close it got to the real article, but it was semi-fun to play with. It really all depends on what you're looking for and if it even matters. Inspiration is everywhere, even with a $1 plastic mic that came with your 1995 computer, you never know. Keep your ears peeled and try everything. Otherwise, be like the other boring adults and spend 10 million grand on gear and watch how it makes your song sound different, not necessarily better.

May the force be logical and simple.

My suspicion is that mic modeling is something that could be achieved just as well by someone who knew their way around a graphic equalizer (not me). Maybe that is what I should do instead is learn how to EQ. I understand that a TLM 103 has a presence bump at 4k and on an 87, the bump is at 5K....(or was it the other way around)...? and I guess if I was good at EQ I could make a TLM 103 sound like an 87 pretty much, since they have the same capsule.

Are there other plugins besides mic modelers that consistently make microphones sound better? I like Vintagewarmer, although I am starting to outgrow it, I think. What other plugins should I try?

Here is a recording I made after I discovered my karaoke app had a "Record" function.
https://soundcloud.com/trevor-jackson-2 ... F26rDYz_p8

I usually sing much higher, but that song is out of my range so I brought it down an octave.

Mic modellers can't do anything to improve sensitivity, noise levels or polar patterns. What does that leave? EQ and maybe some nonlinearities; both things that you're probably going to manipulate anyway, and have many options for.

Doesn’t VintageWarmer have that dongle thing? That’s why I never upgraded my original license.

I have a TLM 103 myself, and I struggle to like my vocal recordings. I assumed it was the room I have to work with, because it’s the louder vocals that sound undesirable. Some of Logic’s vocal processing presets help, though.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm Doesn’t VintageWarmer have that dongle thing? That’s why I never upgraded my original license.

I have a TLM 103 myself, and I struggle to like my vocal recordings. I assumed it was the room I have to work with, because it’s the louder vocals that sound undesirable. Some of Logic’s vocal processing presets help, though.
I should have specified, I have Vintagewarmer on my Ipad as an AU plugin that I bought through my DAW's internal online store (Auria Pro). it was $19 I think, and no dongle.

I am happy with my louder vocals on my TLM 103, but I wasn't before I got the Babyface, which has excellent preamps with lots of headroom. Is it possible that your audio interface is the issue? A TLM 103 can certainly take the pressure.

Trevor Jackson wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:08 pm My suspicion is that mic modeling is something that could be achieved just as well by someone who knew their way around a graphic equalizer (not me). Maybe that is what I should do instead is learn how to EQ. I understand that a TLM 103 has a presence bump at 4k and on an 87, the bump is at 5K....(or was it the other way around)...? and I guess if I was good at EQ I could make a TLM 103 sound like an 87 pretty much, since they have the same capsule.

Are there other plugins besides mic modelers that consistently make microphones sound better? I like Vintagewarmer, although I am starting to outgrow it, I think. What other plugins should I try?

Here is a recording I made after I discovered my karaoke app had a "Record" function.
https://soundcloud.com/trevor-jackson-2 ... F26rDYz_p8

I usually sing much higher, but that song is out of my range so I brought it down an octave.
Nice picture. Is it you? Beware of predatory grownups... :o

toine6 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:42 pm One day when you grow up, you'll find out that some people just f**k around until it sounds interesting.
Not the adults.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Trevor Jackson wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:45 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 pm Doesn’t VintageWarmer have that dongle thing? That’s why I never upgraded my original license.

I should have specified, I have Vintagewarmer on my Ipad as an AU plugin that I bought through my DAW's internal online store (Auria Pro). it was $19 I think, and no dongle.

I am happy with my louder vocals on my TLM 103, but I wasn't before I got the Babyface, which has excellent preamps with lots of headroom. Is it possible that your audio interface is the issue? A TLM 103 can certainly take the pressure.
My preamp used to be a ProjectMix i/o. Now it's an ART Digital MPA II, and I can't tell the difference. Maybe I don't know WTF I am doing with preamps, but... ???
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I don't think grownups use Mac computers
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Grownups use Compaq computers with the original Windows 95 operating system and AOL floppy disk it shipped with.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Just watched this last night, where Oak Felder talks about choosing a Slate (VMS?) microphone modeling an Elam 251 over an ACTUAL, $18k Elam to record Demi Lovato!

https://youtu.be/Kre17S89-j8

Kerry

Just get the frequency plot of your mic (you should have it), get one plot of the mic you want to model, create an equalizer preset and your ears and you're done... Of course a real tube mic has some nonlinearities you could model with a tube sim. If you use your ears, you can make it sound better than any naked mic... The positioning of a mic can do more to the sound than the brand... (Speaking generally of high quality mics of course...)

edit: deleted a nasty comment on the video... maybe I was in a bad mood...
Last edited by Tj Shredder on Sat May 30, 2020 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I thought it was a great video and it’s less about gear than it is about working on this song. Even in regards to using the VMS, he indicated that it won in this this track but did not commit to it being the better choice always.

He was very careful in his wording but he’s definitely a Slate fan with the Slate Raven and use of VMR, but he’s also a big fan of some of logic’s stock plugs which was nice to see... so no, not a commercial. Just another guy talking about what he likes and specifically used for this track.

Demi Levato will most likely make any mic sound amazing. Her capability is insane. You might not like her music, but she is an amazing vocal talent.

Just buy a good mic.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”