I want to re-install Camel Audio Alchemy...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it really allowed that a company stopp support for old users just because they were bought by apple? Now I want to use Alchemy again, but I cannot download any files or find any support for problems I have...

Since it was bought by Apple it now resides in Logic - they keep working on it and I use it on every project. Ridiculously powerful & well-designed synth that can do stuff no others can.
If you're on mac, get Logic and use it that way. If not, get Falcon - that's probably the closest alternative that's cross-platform. I don't use Falcon but that also looks great and is very well-supported.

I wouldn't waste any time moaning about a company (understandably) selling or discontinuing a product. Life is short.

To be fair to Camel they did give everyone 6 months to download and back up their files before closing completely.

For the record I just reinstalled Alchemy on Windows 10 about a month ago. It went surprisingly well and was dead easy.

But I did back up all the files when they announced the end of Windows support...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

crazyfiltertweaker wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 am Is it really allowed that a company stopp support for old users just because they were bought by apple? Now I want to use Alchemy again, but I cannot download any files or find any support for problems I have...
If you did not download your installers at the right time then you're out of luck and can do nothing about it.
No signature here!

crazyfiltertweaker wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 am Is it really allowed that a company stopp support for old users just because they were bought by apple?
Of course. Why wouldn't they?

You buy software in the state it is. Any developer could close doors tomorrow.

crazyfiltertweaker wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 amNow I want to use Alchemy again, but I cannot download any files or find any support for problems I have...
Why are you surprised? You did this whole dance before.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=277536

Is it because you didnt learn from that even though you got it working?

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=277536
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

crazyfiltertweaker wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:34 am Is it really allowed that a company stopp support for old users just because they were bought by apple? Now I want to use Alchemy again, but I cannot download any files or find any support for problems I have...
When this was happening, it was all over KVR and probably GearSlutz site too, and so there was definitely time to download the files if needed. It wasn’t just like they closed up shop and didn’t give anyone chance to download overnight.

It showed all of us just how good Alchemy was/is - Apple, quite frankly, could probably do the same thing to just about any audio software in existence - they are that truly filthy rich.

The best that you could do for yourself is to get Logic; or get Falcon; and move on - I’m honestly not being a smartass to you: life is indeed short; don’t waste your time.
Last edited by goldenanalog on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Examigan wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:17 pm
When this was happening, it was all over KVR and probably GearSlutz site too, and so there was definitely time to download the files if needed. It wasn’t just like they closed up shop and didn’t give anyone chance to download overnight.
As per my pervious post, the OP knew about this two years ago, and at that time was seemingly eventually able to reinstall and reactivate his copy of Alchemy.
Whatever has happened in those two years is definitely his own responsibility, not Camel's.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Heya,

Had to do a rebuild on my studio PC I have all of the "pieces" to Alchemy backed up but I can't seem to locate the various folders in the right places to get it to work again. Anybody got a working version of the original Camel version installed that could draw me map? :-)

Cubase 10.5/Windows 10

well, you dont buy the software, you buy the license, means the permission to use it. the permission usually includes terms. the licensing system is a very us-american concept, while the europeans typically connect the process of buying something with ownership and property.

you can get an old computermusic magazine issue and get alchemy via their filesilo^^. but i dont know which issue was the last one giving out the alchemy version. but thats at least a legal version^^, and no support for that one too of course.

I downloaded all my files from my camel account ,and placed them on a back-up drive that failed i am now stuck with manually putting the files in their folder paths to get it working.

and if anyone is curious about using the player installer as an alternative it won't work.

the Data library default for windows is:C:\ProgramData\Camel Audio

I tried everything to get my files even waybackmachine but that failed there is no other way to get alchemy legally except to buy a mac and Logic.

xenophobic wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:55 am I downloaded all my files from my camel account ,and placed them on a back-up drive that failed i am now stuck with manually putting the files in their folder paths to get it working.

and if anyone is curious about using the player installer as an alternative it won't work.

the Data library default for windows is:C:\ProgramData\Camel Audio

I tried everything to get my files even waybackmachine but that failed there is no other way to get alchemy legally except to buy a mac and Logic.
I just "reinstalled", without using any installer - just by copying directory folders. here's what you need:

1. A folder in Program Files (x86) called Camel Audio\Alchemy (create a folder called Camel Audio and inside it another folder called Alchemy). Inside it goes the Alchemy Installer and AlchemyUninstall and SoundbankInstaller, as well as shortcuts to AlchemyData and Alchemy Configuration folders.

2. A folder in Program Data called Camel Audio\Alchemy (create a folder called Camel Audio and inside it another folder called Alchemy). Inside this folder goes everything that belongs to Alchemy: Libraries folder, Presets folder, Samples folder, Skins folder, and many files with SQL and AKY extensions. The later ones I presume are the key files, while the SQL may be library configuration files. This folder also should contains a file called AlchemyConfig.txt where the configuration directories, etc., are stored. Don't worry with it - leave it as it is.

3. A folder inside your VstPlugIns folder called C, where you place the Camel Audio (I do this because I create a folder for each vendor inside VstPlugIns - you may as well place the files in the root of the main folder). In there goes the DLL file and also the shortcuts to Alchemy Configuration and AlchemyData. Also, don't worry with these shortcuts - they should point to the right folder, once it is chosen.

The first time you launch Alchemy, or during the scan, it will ask you where is the data folder - Point it to Program Data\Camel Audio\Alchemy. You should see a message telling that a valid folder was chosen. And that's it. Alchemy is "installed" and ready to run.
Fernando (FMR)

yes, its really allowed. it happened, no one went to jail :shrug:

Return to “Instruments”