Future of Music

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:15 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm That whole thing of punk changed things was a concoction of rock journalists
You weren't here. It changed things, whether you want to handwave it away or not.
Which things? I wasn’t where? I was in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was 20 in 1976.
It supposedly cleared the deck of music which had strayed from “rock ‘n roll’s roots”. It didn’t. Yes, for instance is still touring, and became even richer in the 80s. There was maybe a momentary adjustment of certain groups which can also be attributed to economic drivers. Massively expensive tours, cf., Pink Floyd. Musically what was changed? I don’t believe you have information I don’t. Because I wasn’t in the UK? Here is a disconnect with music in favor of extramusical values. Punk was more moral and honest?

Why is eg., MC5 or Iggy Pop less impactful in this certain sense; because they didn’t have all of this journalism telling you what to think?

morbid edit: And Yes was an oustanding rock 'n roll band to begin with, super high energy live.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

jancivil wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:21 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:15 pm
jancivil wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm That whole thing of punk changed things was a concoction of rock journalists
You weren't here. It changed things, whether you want to handwave it away or not.
Which things? I wasn’t where? I was in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was 20 in 1976.
It supposedly got rid of music which had strayed from “rock ‘n roll’s roots. It didn’t. Yes, for instance is still touring, and became even richer in the 80s. Musically what was changed? I don’t believe you have information I don’t. Why is eg., MC5 or Iggy Pop less impactful in this certain sense; because they didn’t have all of this journalism telling you what to think?
Ah, of course, your position from Cincinnati is the final arbiter of culture, politics, film, writing, art and design for the entire world. I'm glad that's working for you.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So, you can’t answer any of my points, but cherry pick a literal response to “there” to tell a story about my opinion of my authority? Thinly veiled ad hom, who cares. Sure, the strength of your chops in snide remarks and attitude rules the day, isn’t it.

I don’t know where politics or film enter into it.
My question to you is, what_changed_musically? Which figures of real moment in music had to adapt to “punk”, and how?

bullshit

@ OP: the future of music is whatever you want it to be.

(Also, I miss the old moral decay :cry: )

Cincinnati is pretty dope tho.
Especially re: moral decay.
ImageImageImageImage

dark water wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm (Also, I miss the old moral decay :cry: )
youll be watching the spiders at it again soon i imagine.

jancivil wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:41 pm So, you can’t answer any of my points
No, of course not. Noone could, because only your perspective carries any weight. You're always right, so you're always right. Be happy about how right you are. Yay, Jan! Thanks for putting us all right. :party: :party:

vurt wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:46 pm
dark water wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:45 pm (Also, I miss the old moral decay :cry: )
You keep my spiders outta this! :x :x

(Actually, four of them are currently stuck in their own exoskeletons - and two of them I fear are dead after not being able to 'eat their way out' of their old exoskeletons for the past 6 weeks :(

I think the other two are smarter, as they've placed their old exoskeletons underneath them and are emerging upwards: I would take some blurry pictures to evidence this but I wouldn't want to make this thread go any further off topic :hihi:

ps, does anyone know if spiders can become trapped and then starve if they struggle to emerge from their old exoskeletons? I've tried Google and the usual places but no info so far... )

dark water wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm ps, does anyone know if spiders can become trapped and then starve if they struggle to emerge from their old exoskeletons? I've tried Google and the usual places but no info so far... )
A quick Google found :

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/taran ... ce.306038/

dark water wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm
vurt wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:46 pm
You keep my spiders outta this! :x :x

(Actually, four of them are currently stuck in their own exoskeletons - and two of them I fear are dead after not being able to 'eat their way out' of their old exoskeletons for the past 6 weeks :(

I think the other two are smarter, as they've placed their old exoskeletons underneath them and are emerging upwards: I would take some blurry pictures to evidence this but I wouldn't want to make this thread go any further off topic :hihi:

ps, does anyone know if spiders can become trapped and then starve if they struggle to emerge from their old exoskeletons? I've tried Google and the usual places but no info so far... )
well yes, if they get stuck and dont eat, thry will starve.

but more likely, while discarding the old exoskeleton they are vulnerable to attack from all their enemies.
like flies with flickknives n shit.

Ah thank you WR and vurt - I'm actually genuinely sad about those spiders (cellar spiders in my ground floor bathroom) - not least 'cos I seem to have to fish at least 3 of them and their relatives out my shower at least once a week.
I hope the other 2 spiders pull through (literally). It's true that they seem to spend 40% of their time shagging, 45% sleeping, 5% moving and only 10% catching and killing woodlice, but I will miss them anyway :(

“Punk changed” certain things for certain people, I guess, but as to the “changed things”
in the sense given, it’s a bit grandiose. They did business like everybody did business, nothing new musically, reactionary at core... what was new was you can just play totally shitty but you have the precisely right attitude; do we want this change in values? Who does that serve? Opportunists? A good line of bullshit, really innovative.

Here we encounter the disconnect between revolutionary and reactionary. Sorry, I’m high. :lol: The topic tho, I noticed is The Future of Music. Moral decay doesn’t enter into any real consideration.

Morbid edit #2: @ whyte: the stance of punk with all of this extramusical baggage being something which 'changed things' is to me exactly the same quality of rhetoric the OP did with "moral decay". Argue with me expect to do better than rank ad hom and doubling down or be called on it.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dark water wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:12 pm Ah thank you WR and vurt - I'm actually genuinely sad about those spiders (cellar spiders in my ground floor bathroom) - not least 'cos I seem to have to fish at least 3 of them and their relatives out my shower at least once a week.
I hope the other 2 spiders pull through (literally). It's true that they seem to spend 40% of their time shagging, 45% sleeping, 5% moving and only 10% catching and killing woodlice, but I will miss them anyway :(
i have no woodlice in the bathroom since getting a cat.
or silverfish.
or spiders.
or flies.
hes like the predator from that film with arnie? cant remember its name?
gat too da chupper!!!! that one.
with the alien what hunts the peoples.

Man, that's a fearsome cat!

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”