Upcoming Synapse OB-Xa: Obsession

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:03 am
Teksonik wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:19 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:02 pm Can't imagine what 8 voices per note times 8 notes polyphony would do to a CPU.
Dune 3 handles the task quite well with reasonable CPU demand.

Dune 3 052920.png
The Legend is an analog modeled synth, which I don't believe Dune 3 is. What's 8 voices on The Legend do to a CPU? What's that multiplied by 8? That may be a better comparison.
They're both analog modelled synths. But, of course you have to compromise with such a big amount of voices.

There is a difference between modeled and modeled after a specific synth. I assume he was talking about the latter.......:wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I go after what I read. I read "The Legend is an analog modelled synth". Dune 3 is also a analog modelled synth. It's just no strict emulation of a existing analog synth. Although it has different filters which were modelled after the filters of existing analog synths.

Yes, I know you know all that. :)

Geez...I just suspect that 8 voices of unison per polyphonic voice on something like OBsession would probably be prohibitively CPU intensive. We don't have poly unison on The Legend. You guys must be extra bored this weekend if your trying to parse out the exact meaning of that sentence. :lol:

Maybe OBsession will have poly-unison and I'll be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. But yeah, I'm saying that I doubt it will because it took quite a bit of optimizing just to get 8 voices of poly added to The Legend, and that still doesn't have poly unison. Probably for a reason.

We'll agree to disagree. I think Poly Unison could be pulled off in OBsession without excessive CPU demand.

But like I said I don't really care one way or the other but if Poly Unison is added I wouldn't turn it down. Certainly a feature I would use..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:45 pm Please cite your sources that the differential unison engine is primarily designed to reduce CPU and how the same developer could not apply some of that knowledge in applying Poly Unison in OBsession.

For the record I don't care if OBsession has Poly Unison or not but there is no technical reason why it couldn't and have reasonable CPU demand. No it wouldn't run on a Pentium 4 but I imagine it would run well on any fairly recent CPU. :wink:
I stand corrected its just a fancy marketing term for a feature on the modulation matrix. But in anycase if they are borrowing tech from the Legend, that engine limits the voice count to 8 when using AVX instructions.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Teksonik wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:14 pm But like I said I don't really care one way or the other but if Poly Unison is added I wouldn't turn it down.
Nor would I.

v1o wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:15 pm But in anycase if they are borrowing tech from the Legend, that engine limits the voice count to 8 when using AVX instructions.
Yes The Legend is limited to 8 voices but where does it say that limitation wasn't a design decision made by Synapse and not a limit imposed by the technology ? :shrug:

What poly unison mode would make more sense on an 8-voice synth: 2 simultaneous notes of 4 voices each or the other way round?

Teksonik wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:33 pm
v1o wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:15 pm But in anycase if they are borrowing tech from the Legend, that engine limits the voice count to 8 when using AVX instructions.
Yes The Legend is limited to 8 voices but where does it say that limitation wasn't a design decision made by Synapse and not a limit imposed by the technology ? :shrug:
Rich said it was, basically the Legend's concept was based from the very beginning around processing four (now eight with AVX capable chips) voices in parallel using SSE or AVX vectorisation, this allowed synthesising multiple voices for the cost of little more than a single voice. He saids this works completely differently from how Dune allocates voices internally as that was designed from the onset for very high polyphony.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

AVX is just an extended microprocessor instruction set. It does not limit Polyphony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... Extensions

In other words 8 voices in The Legend was a design decision not a limitation in the technology....
Teksonik wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:33 pm Yes The Legend is limited to 8 voices but where does it say that limitation wasn't a design decision made by Synapse and not a limit imposed by the technology ? :shrug:

v1o wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:47 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:33 pm
Rich said it was, basically the Legend's concept was based from the very beginning around processing four (now eight with AVX capable chips) voices in parallel using SSE or AVX vectorisation, this allowed synthesising multiple voices for the cost of little more than a single voice. He saids this works completely differently from how Dune allocates voices internally as that was designed from the onset for very high polyphony.

16 is hardly high polyphony

Teksonik wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:04 pm AVX is just an extended microprocessor instruction set. It does not limit Polyphony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_ ... Extensions

In other words 8 voices in The Legend was a design decision not a limitation in the technology....
Teksonik wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:33 pm Yes The Legend is limited to 8 voices but where does it say that limitation wasn't a design decision made by Synapse and not a limit imposed by the technology ? :shrug:
I think you are not understanding. I didn't say AVX instructions limit the voice count. There are AVX synths with more voices for example MX. I simply said Legend uses 4 voices when using SSE and 8 when using AVX. And unlike what you seem to believe these are not arbitrarily limitations, they are based on how the voices are allocated internally.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:39 pm I think you are not understanding. I didn't say AVX instructions limit the voice count. There are AVX synths with more voices for example MX. I simply said Legend uses 4 voices when using SSE and 8 when using AVX. And unlike what you seem to believe these are not arbitrarily limitations, they are based on how the voices are allocated internally.
I think you're not understanding. My point has been those are design decisions made by Synapse and you should not assume those same decisions will be made for OBsession. :wink:

Could this be the week...

Return to “Instruments”