Massive X 1.4 update!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Massive X Quarantine - Massive X Presets

perpetual3 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:15 pm It did not revert to the state it was when last the project was saved.
Rather, the MX instances reverted to the presets I initially loaded - the init preset and another one that I had tweaked.

Thanks.
rsp
sound sculptist

SLiC wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 am I don't think there is any question that it sounds good, but for a 'flagship' synth after years of development and hype for one of the largest and most well known music software developers....not good enough. Just look at what some of the one man/small developers have been able to achieve with Rapid (now adding granular and MSEG by the summer), Icarus 2, Avenger and even the frequently updated Serum. I expected more but it is what it is....I own it, I'll take the updates....but it hasn't become my go to for anything in particular yet.
The sound is top notch for sure... everything else is pretty weak

It is one of the least enjoyable GUI's of any plugin I have. So much wasted space, far too many mouse clicks all the time for tons of tiny menus. So much tabbing around.

The LFO's are poorly designed. Each LFO takes up a 3rd of the bottom panel! That whole big circle switcher doesn't actually do much and with minimal control over LFO shape. 2 knobs, 1 for some basic shapes and 1 for morphing that shape would actually give more shapes and make them morphable and take up far less space.

The LFO sync options don't offer dotted or triplets. You cannot adjust LFO phase. I could easily put 6 or 8 LFO's that were more capable in the same space as those 3.

The performers (MSEG's) are global only, so no per voice MSEG option.

There are no visual indicators for modulation on not visible tabs. There is a visual indicator if a modulator is being used, but not if it is itself being modulated. Same with other tabs like ABC modules or FX.

There is no option to right click on a modulator or macro to see all its targets. One has to go look at each tab to see if something is being modulated by it.

Of course there is the browser and lack of midi capability I've mentioned before. So yeah, it was advertised as a next generation synth... that certainly raised my expectations from a capable company like NI. Only the sound engine qualifies. Every other aspect of the synth is weak IMO.

SLiC wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:03 am I don't think there is any question that it sounds good, but for a 'flagship' synth after years of development and hype for one of the largest and most well known music software developers....not good enough. Just look at what some of the one man/small developers have been able to achieve with Rapid (now adding granular and MSEG by the summer), Icarus 2, Avenger and even the frequently updated Serum. I expected more but it is what it is....I own it, I'll take the updates....but it hasn't become my go to for anything in particular yet.
Don't forget Pigments 2 being A Free and totally synth-changing update that added Sampling, Granular synthesis, More expansive FM, and MPE. I Ignored Pigments seeing it as another Serum Copycat until V2 came out, they nailed it and earned my money with that update and its become one of my favorite sound design tools in the Industry. I might soon be replacing serum as my number 1 soon. It's grown on me that much.

Now they, a segment of Arturia, are a much larger team then Rapid, Serum, or Icarus but the idea of significant and meaningful updates on A competing product.
For me Massive X 1.1 was the most useful. Fixing some critical issues and the new GUIS, other then that I can't say I have much use for .2 and .3

But I'm going to still use it, because, as you and many established, it sounds that good. Its not gonna be my One and Only as long as it has its considerable flaws, but the sonic engine is so good that I use it simply for that. The product has so much potential, like an insane amount of potential, I really hope 1.4 or 1.5 NI grabs the Bull by the Horns and drops a game changing update.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

What would you consider a game changing update?

For me, Massive X's big draw is the sound. I personally find it too complex to even make anything sounding decent without a lot of guesswork and trial and error and let me be honest, luck. But it sounds so frigging good. (Whilst I find Pigment really easy to use or relatively easy to use, understand and program but the sound still has not sold me).

So for me, I need Massive X to fix/change/ give us a real preset browser so I can search, create favourites, easily install and access Third Party Banks as a bank etc. But none of these are game changers.
rsp
sound sculptist

I have seen some comments saying that Massive (the original) was/is better than the new Massive X? I think the main problem people had was the workflow with the new massive... So they are 2 totally different synths, Massive X is not upgraded version of Massive?

zvenx wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:47 pm What would you consider a game changing update?

For me, Massive X's big draw is the sound. I personally find it too complex to even make anything sounding decent without a lot of guesswork and trial and error and let me be honest, luck. But it sounds so frigging good. (Whilst I find Pigment really easy to use or relatively easy to use, understand and program but the sound still has not sold me).

rsp
Yea, Half agree on Pigments. I actually LOVE the Wavetable Oscillator for some of its Heavy style Editing options, but The VA has never done it for me. I use Diva for that. I use 3 of its 4 modes but the VA just never seemed to be anything that You don't already see in Sylenth. And is nowhere near legit analogue Emulation IMO.

Game changing Update?
Mostly for me customization and importability of Wavetables and sampler like editing capabilities for Noise Tables. A second Filter would be nice as well as VST 3 Support and MPE. As Pdxindy covers in depth the LFO needs some work. And the GUI isin't very responsive and visual in an era of synths like Pigments and Serum Phaseplant and Rapid where Visualization and Good GUI design is a Huge Draw.
Those are my main issues.
Tannaliini wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:21 pm I have seen some comments saying that Massive (the original) was/is better than the new Massive X? I think the main problem people had was the workflow with the new massive... So they are 2 totally different synths, Massive X is not upgraded version of Massive?
Some things Massive Did are better the X, honestly.
But overall id say X is the Better Synth.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Vortifex wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 3:45 pm Could someone with a few minutes to spare please find a way to make this preset not click whilst keeping it mono? Play a walking bass two octaves apart to really hear what I mean. I find this happens a fair bit with Massive X

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47b5684eszi94 ... .nksf?dl=0
Here, try this out...

https://send.firefox.com/download/b840b ... gJsl4pZHpA

pdxindy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:34 pm
The sound is top notch for sure... everything else is pretty weak

It is one of the least enjoyable GUI's of any plugin I have. So much wasted space, far too many mouse clicks all the time for tons of tiny menus. So much tabbing around.

The LFO's are poorly designed. Each LFO takes up a 3rd of the bottom panel! That whole big circle switcher doesn't actually do much and with minimal control over LFO shape. 2 knobs, 1 for some basic shapes and 1 for morphing that shape would actually give more shapes and make them morphable and take up far less space.

The LFO sync options don't offer dotted or triplets. You cannot adjust LFO phase. I could easily put 6 or 8 LFO's that were more capable in the same space as those 3.

The performers (MSEG's) are global only, so no per voice MSEG option.

There are no visual indicators for modulation on not visible tabs. There is a visual indicator if a modulator is being used, but not if it is itself being modulated. Same with other tabs like ABC modules or FX.

There is no option to right click on a modulator or macro to see all its targets. One has to go look at each tab to see if something is being modulated by it.

Of course there is the browser and lack of midi capability I've mentioned before. So yeah, it was advertised as a next generation synth... that certainly raised my expectations from a capable company like NI. Only the sound engine qualifies. Every other aspect of the synth is weak IMO.
I wrote words to this effect on my first day with Massive X, right on the Native Instrument forum. You’re 100% right about all of it.

You know what though... I still like it. I’d love for NI to call me in... to... do... one last job... :lol: I’d hit that thing with a total UI redesign like nobody’s business... but I still like it. I’ve learned it and it’s familiar enough now that I can work with it pretty quickly. It does a few tricks that nothing else really does, and has a beef to the sound that’s unmistakable. So, I put up with all the crap. I wish they’d not given the UI job to the CEO’s nephew, but here we are. :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Tannaliini wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:21 pmSo they are 2 totally different synths, Massive X is not upgraded version of Massive?

True. Massive X is not an upgraded version of Massive. Frankly, they should have come up with a new name. “Gargantuan 1.0” :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:46 amI wish they’d not given the UI job to the CEO’s nephew, but here we are. :lol:
GUI was done by the same people who did OG Massive GUI, just FYI.

With sample import being implemented, it would seem like wavetable import would be the next move. I wonder if we'll get a wavetable editor.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 am
Tannaliini wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:21 pmSo they are 2 totally different synths, Massive X is not upgraded version of Massive?

True. Massive X is not an upgraded version of Massive. Frankly, they should have come up with a new name. “Gargantuan 1.0” :lol:
Well... maybe it should have been an upgraded version of Massive. We would still have three oscs, and they would have been far ahead on building a better browser!

Losing an Osc, and a now much less intuitive and more fiddly step performer are my two main gripes. We'll maybe never get the Osc back, but hopefully they can make the step performer easier to use - soo fiddly.

It sounds great though, and I think it is good that it has a slightly less recognisable character the the original.

I actually still with that NI had released a Massive 2.0 before this - just some beefed up oscillators, improved filters and tweaked fx would have been really great - and would still be worthwhile if you ask me.

edit: removed an unnecessary negative comment

I’ve heard that people still have bugs with it on mac(
Freed from desire

Return to “Instruments”