How much time do you take to mix a song?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Roughly how many hours? Assuming editing and production work is done or almost done.

Simple question with possibly infinite answers, but would be interested in honest and straightforward answers based on experience.

The intention is to get inspired by people who take less time than I or anyone else takes.

Thanks in advance! :tu:

I clearly cannot read.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sat May 30, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:47 pm Previous project was 94 hours. This one is about 2/3rds finished and currently at 136 hours.

Ironically I started measuring this view a view to shortening the time. That obviously didn't work as expected.
Just to clarify, is it the overall project time that you mention? Because I am asking specifically for only "mixing" time.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:47 pm Previous project was 94 hours. This one is about 2/3rds finished and currently at 136 hours.

Ironically I started measuring this view a view to shortening the time. That obviously didn't work as expected.
Just to clarify, is it the overall project time that you mention? Because I am asking specifically for only "mixing" time.
:dog:

I wasn't sure and specifically looked in your message for clarity and still misread it :idiot:

To answer your question, it's impossible to say because it's intertwined in the entire production process for me.

Depends alot of the track count.. But usually easily under one hour.

My workflow:
-set audio level properly with a secret sauce
-check if something needs compression
-check frequency collisions
-fix the collisions
-final check if something wants to get panned or automated
-mess up with izotope tools("master")
-publish the song
-notice that mic was accidentally on at some point, picking up the the evidence of you watching vids of asian women and moaning
-draw the song away from everywhere
-destroy the evidence
-publish the song again
-watch more asian women
-listen to track and notice where you messed with hats, arrangement and snare is too loud
-give up and proceed to the next track
-boobs

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:53 pm To answer your question, it's impossible to say because it's intertwined in the entire production process for me.
Same.

I don't do (write > record parts > mix > master), I do (setup > record live > edit > master). Some mixing tasks are part of setup, some are part of recording.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:51 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:50 pm

:dog:

I wasn't sure and specifically looked in your message for clarity and still misread it :idiot:
No worries, it happens. :)

Thanks guys, looks like there's not much in this question. Let's move on. :tu:

I prepare a mix at the beginning of a project. I can take some time with this; mixing is part of orchestrating. I mix all along, the sound as a whole has to be there in order to properly weigh and judge a mix, so by the time I’ve stopped writing there isn’t tons to do to finish. Then, if ‘how long’ is down to saying I’ll never do this one again, possibly years. :P

If I mix from someone else's raw tracks then between one and three hours, split over two days. I always want to wait at least until the next day to do the final touches.

If it's my own song then I usually mix as I go but do a final mix touch up in an hour or so.

I have the joy of having a bunch of tracks dumped into a project from a live jam with levels and noise floors all over everywhere. So by the time that lot's cleaned up (which includes denoise, relevel, top-n-tail the frequencies roughly, clean up more, compress... maybe compress more), mixing is "okay, so now they all sound about the same" (and I mean that fairly literally give how vicious it can be), "let's carefully adjust the levels in the mix". Then write out for mastering. If the pre-master sounds ... not as I'd hoped for, back to the mix and tinker. Which can mean, "leave it for tonight, see if my ears feel happier tomorrow". Mastering rarely means more than check the levels are up to just below 0dB (and not clipping according to any level check I bother to run) and (then compress to MP3 to publish).

Too long. It’s never done lol!

I usually mix as i go along (with my own ITB stuff). Mixing a rock or jazz piece probably 3-5hrs but that is just a guess. Every piece is different.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Usually 1 to 2 hours. Like Jan said, I also plan ahead and arrange the track so that it almost mixes itself. If that doesn't work, I ruthlessly kick out the offending part, instead of spending hours trying to make it work. Mixing is the part I enjoy least.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”