2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:07 pm
toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 pm
rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:18 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:19 pm

depends what you need? what does an 808 usually come with?
will you need per channel?
or just stereo out?
So the modules in my first build would be..

Tip Top Audio
  • BD 909
    SD 909
    RS 909
    CP 909
    CY 909
    TM 909
Would like an onboard mixer module with sliders if possible and then separate outputs to my Mackie 1642
The Happy Ending rack looks like I could fit even more modules, tried to do that rack thing in modular grid but doesn't work for me hehe thought you just dragged them up to your custom rack?

Also maybe a distortion/Overdrive module in the rack too.
So you'll be wanting one of these then.. ;)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-performance-mixer-le

or this.. bit smaller.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-perfo ... ixer-black

and both in your colour... black :tu:
I'm in there now had to add another 3u I'm at £3,088 now ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:
This stuff is addictive but absolutely love it
Tell me...

check this out
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1220619
:love:

:oops:

toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:23 pm
toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 pm
rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:18 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:19 pm

depends what you need? what does an 808 usually come with?
will you need per channel?
or just stereo out?
So the modules in my first build would be..

Tip Top Audio
  • BD 909
    SD 909
    RS 909
    CP 909
    CY 909
    TM 909
Would like an onboard mixer module with sliders if possible and then separate outputs to my Mackie 1642
The Happy Ending rack looks like I could fit even more modules, tried to do that rack thing in modular grid but doesn't work for me hehe thought you just dragged them up to your custom rack?

Also maybe a distortion/Overdrive module in the rack too.
So you'll be wanting one of these then.. ;)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-performance-mixer-le

or this.. bit smaller.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-perfo ... ixer-black

and both in your colour... black :tu:
Tell me...

check this out
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1220619
:love:

:oops:
Your rack is over £10k :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I see we can share racks? Ok will be back later with mine hehe

rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:22 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:15 pm
i only went to check how to add stuff to your rack for you and im building a rack full of mutable instruments :o

you owe me man!!! :lol:
It's fab building them but I keep forgetting I need to add a power supply to each rack and end up swapping stuff out then building up another row. Some expensive gear on here, what's the best manufacturers, Tip Top, Erica Synths? Or are there other good ones? There's a ton of gear on here mate, like a kid in a sweet shop :lol:
best manufacturers i have no idea.
especially for what youre looking at, drums arent really used much here.
but tip top and erica both get good ratings.
if you click through to the module info, bottom right you can see how many racks a module is in, so you get a good idea of whats selling well, so therefore probably a good purchase :)

rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:24 pm
Your rack is over £10k :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I see we can share racks? Ok will be back later with mine hehe
that's the official price... a few S/H units and discounted and discontinued modules bring it down to about £7K ;)

So I've still got £3k to go... hahahahaha woohoo

toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:29 pm
rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:24 pm
that's the official price... a few S/H units and discounted and discontinued modules bring it down to about £7K ;)

So I've still got £3k to go... hahahahaha woohoo
Here's my first racks 6u

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1229761

No idea if I've added the right gear just stuff I like, probably need another 6u just for mixers n stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's fab building them but I keep forgetting I need to add a power supply to each rack and end up swapping stuff out then building up another row. Some expensive gear on here, what's the best manufacturers, Tip Top, Erica Synths? Or are there other good ones? There's a ton of gear on here mate, like a kid in a sweet shop :lol:
Schippmann .. Cwejman ACL...

But.. there are many cool guys...
this guy Ladik ... don't be put off by low price, he has a very good reputation on muffwigglers... he's a dedicated guy.. I have his drumboy.. )))
I have 11/12 Erica Synths modules... 3 Waldorf.. lots of Doefer... so many manufactures I'd love to support... :hihi:

rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:36 pm

Here's my first racks 6u

No idea if I've added the right gear just stuff I like, probably need another 6u just for mixers n stuff :lol: :lol: :lol:
hmmm... I see your getting the right head space already :tu:

I'd probably change the 2 x row power 30's for 1 row power 40..

I run all my rig off 2 x row 30's and a row 25... and a 4.7 amp power brick... though I might change the brick for a 6 amp one I have.
Last edited by toonertik on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:36 pm

this guy Ladik ... don't be put off by low price, he has a very good reputation on muffwigglers... he's a dedicated guy.. I have his drumboy.. )))
I have 11/12 Erica Synths modules... 3 Waldorf.. lots of Doefer... so many manufactures I'd love to support... :hihi:
Got over 20k worth of hardware synths & fx here in my studio I might flog the lot and build a big modular haha.. Nooo but I'd like to start building the end of this month. I definitely wanna start with drum modules though then add the odd bass synth, voice modules later.
That Carcadian sequencer looks amazing just watched a video on that.

toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Here's my first racks 6u

Rack looks good so far eh? Have to go another 6u yet with some other manufacturers you mentioned. :tu:
We should make our own modular thread or people gonna get pissed here haha

rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 pm

Got over 20k worth of hardware synths & fx here in my studio I might flog the lot and build a big modular haha.. Nooo but I'd like to start building the end of this month. I definitely wanna start with drum modules though then add the odd bass synth, voice modules later.

I run all my rig off 2 x row 30's and a row 25... and a 4.7 amp power brick... though I might change the brick for a 6 amp one I have.

It looks like you have got a direction... this is important... a purpose

rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 pm
toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Here's my first racks 6u

Rack looks good so far eh? Have to go another 6u yet with some other manufacturers you mentioned. :tu:
We should make our own modular thread or people gonna get pissed here haha
yES... as you have said.. it's your drum rack... if you don't start buying 'till month end, then you will have time to research more and either confirm your choices or modify a couple of things...

Bottom line.. you want a 909 drum rig... :tu:

toonertik wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:43 pm
rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:40 pm

It looks like you have got a direction... this is important... a purpose
Yeah you see this is where I'll go wrong being new to modular (power supply) I'll need to know what ones I'd need for each row, I'm ok about the sound I want but I'll probably trip up not knowing about the other stuff.
So you need to work out the power of all the modules then add a power supply sufficient to that row?

Also I see midi and usb modules this is great, how would you work these in to the rack? There's just so much stuff you can do I am sure I just seen a Black Hole reverb on there some place.

rob_lee wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:48 pm
Yeah you see this is where I'll go wrong being new to modular (power supply) I'll need to know what ones I'd need for each row, I'm ok about the sound I want but I'll probably trip up not knowing about the other stuff.
So you need to work out the power of all the modules then add a power supply sufficient to that row?

Also I see midi and usb modules this is great, how would you work these in to the rack? There's just so much stuff you can do I am sure I just seen a Black Hole reverb on there some place.
If you look at the bottom of your rack on MG you will see not only cost... just ignore that one...

you will see power for the rails.. +12v -12v and 5v... the row powers have their outputs as well... try and leave about 80% spare .. altough at times I've pushed mine to more like 95% before the new addition..

Why don't you do like vurt did when he started.. open a new thread in modular forum.. Rob's expanding head_band.. or Rob's complaining bank manager or wife ;)

Can't help with MIDI as I now just work the modular... though I did go DAW>> BSP >> RACK very simple .. the BSP can do very basic MIDI/CV conversion. oh and the o-coast does similar.

Korg SQ-1 is another option for basic midi to cv. Works great, just limited to one cv/gate pair, and it’s pretty cheap and useful for sequencing of course.

Does anyone have experience with using the OP-Z with the ZM-1 module for sequencing/syncing to Trigger/Midi and CV?

It looks like it should handle all of the above, except that the first output is a 3-way switch between Midi, Tigger and CV (PO). I'm looking just use this with boutiques, pocket operators and volcas, but can also do everything that the Korg SQ-1 can do?

Is there anything the SQ-1 can do that the OP-Z with ZM-1 can't do? I know there's a big price difference, but if buy the OP-Z with the ZM-1, I'm just hoping I won't want to buy a SQ-1 next.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”